The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great Recording Snare Drums Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd March 2019
  #91
Gear Addict
 
Anaon's Avatar
Is the Pearl Sensitone supposed to sound like a Supraphonic?

I'm looking for a cheap alternative to a Supraphonic or Acrolite (unfortunately, it's not so cheap here in Europe...) for home studio recording...

Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019
  #92
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Agreed. I have an Acrolite and it records really great!

I also have a 6.5" Pearl (Steel) Sensitone which is extremely versatile.

I'm just really curious about what an 8 inch snare sounds like in a recording environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Yeah I think an 8” would need to be tuned extremely high and tight in order to have decent response. That’s kind of what I’m intending, e.g. to really crank it up yet still retain some body from the shell being it’s a bit deeper. Not sure I’ll get the supralite but if I do i’ll Report back here with my findings.
A couple weeks ago I had a guy in who had an 8x14 metal snare tuned pretty tight. It was the Stupid Deal of the Day a few months ago. He texted me and said "should I get this?" and of course I said YES!

I liked it a lot in the context of the song we used it for.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Thanks for the feedback! I think I just may get that 8" x 14" Supralite in another month or so just for playing shows.

In the meantime, between the Acrolite and the Pearl Sensitone I've got so many tonal options covered!

As a matter of fact, I changed heads on both...put a Remo clear on the Sensitone and cranked it.

I also put a Remo Coated Ambassador on the Acrolite and tuned it pretty low and they are both really singing now!
Old 3rd March 2019
  #94
Lives for gear
 

We have 5-inch and 6.5-inch Supraphonic snares at the studio, which sound pretty good, but the drummer I record most often has a cheap wood shelled Beverley snare from the 60s which knocks them both into a cocked hat.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #95
Lives for gear
 
valjean24601's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaon View Post
Is the Pearl Sensitone supposed to sound like a Supraphonic?

I'm looking for a cheap alternative to a Supraphonic or Acrolite (unfortunately, it's not so cheap here in Europe...) for home studio recording...

Thanks
I can confirm that the Pearl Sensitone Aluminium can definitely rival an acrolite, but I'm yet go get it to match my Supraphonic.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old 4th March 2019
  #96
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by valjean24601 View Post
I can confirm that the Pearl Sensitone Aluminium can definitely rival an acrolite, but I'm yet go get it to match my Supraphonic.

Cheers,
Mark.

Agreed. IMHO the Sensitone is more versatile than the Acrolite. They both record well but the Acrolite seems to favor heavier rock tones and lower tunings (mine at least). The Sensitone can do all flavors, even delicate styles and actually sounds better tuned high than my Acrolite. Although the Sensitone is 6.5” so maybe that’s what gives it a slight advantage? My Acrolite is only 5” deep.
Old 4th March 2019
  #97
Gear Addict
 
Anaon's Avatar
Thanks for the replies about the Sensitone

Actually, I was wondering if the new limited (and quite cheap) model of the Sensitone is a good option? (this model)

Many thanks
Old 4th March 2019
  #98
Lives for gear
 
OwensDrumming's Avatar
 

Hi guys! A few years ago after I started this thread, I ended up picking up a 14x5 Black Beauty with tube lugs. It truely is an amazing drum and can work for pretty much any style of music. In the studio, I’ve been able to get everything from a tight bebop sound to a dry Steve Gadd sound out of it. It’s just awesome and no studio should be without one. The 6.5 BB is next on my purchase list.

With that being said, a few weeks ago I received two custom order Sonor SQ2 snares from Germany… they are such amazing instruments that I think you should all strongly consider checking them out. Some of the best snares I’ve ever heard.

The ones I purchased are identical drums- both medium beechwood shell construction (9 ply, 6mm thick), but one is 14x5 and the other is 14x6.5. They have the sensitivity of a metal snare and the warmth of wood. The beechwood drums have such beautiful, controlled overtones that sit perfectly in a mix and the snare response is so crisp without sounding harsh or brittle. Sometimes with maple drums I find that the fundamental note of the drum can get honky under the mics but the beechwood sits perfectly.

The difference in depth changes the tone of the drum quite a bit more than you’d think… the 5” has a lot of bite and crack to it and really cuts through any mix. You can crank it up and it will not choke, or tune it low and get a nice warm backbeat. You can leave it unmuffled and get some great overtones as well. It’s so open sounding and gives back so much more than what you put into it.

The 6.5 is a little more versatile- it has a bit more depth to the sound and doesn’t have as much bite. The sensitivity of it is amazing… it feels much more sensitive than the size would suggest. I never was a huge fan of 6.5” drums because I never could get the response I wanted, but this drum is so lively and gives me everything I look for in a snare drum. The sensitivity of the 6.5 seems to shine in the 8-10khz region of the mix whereas the 5” is more in the 5-7khz region. Maybe it’s just how I have them tuned, but that’s what my ears are telling me. Each one has their place for different songs though. They both are great.

Also, one of my favorite things about them is that the lugs have this really cool feature called TuneSafe, which keeps the lugs set exactly where you tuned them. No more retuning after every take!! It’s especially great for low tunings.

Here’s a picture
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Old 4th March 2019
  #99
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaon View Post
Thanks for the replies about the Sensitone

Actually, I was wondering if the new limited (and quite cheap) model of the Sensitone is a good option? (this model)

Many thanks

I didn't even know there was a newer model. I have a vintage one. Got it off eBay for under $200 by the way.

I'm sure the new one will sound good. I would say most steel snare drums have a personality that tends to be pretty similar.
Old 4th March 2019
  #100
Gear Addict
 
Anaon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I didn't even know there was a newer model. I have a vintage one. Got it off eBay for under $200 by the way.

I'm sure the new one will sound good. I would say most steel snare drums have a personality that tends to be pretty similar.
For 200$, I would go for the vintage one without any hesitation. Unfortunately, second hand market prices here in France are so much higher it's scary

Actually, I'd choose a Ludwig Acrolite which is a classic, but it's not that cheap here, it's at least 400 euros unfortunately...
Old 4th March 2019
  #101
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
400 euros for an Acrolite seems like highway robbery to me.
Old 4th March 2019
  #102
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
400 euros for an Acrolite seems like highway robbery to me.

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Acrolites are going for like $150 USD on ebay and if you are patient you can find them even cheaper sometimes (with no hard shell plastic case for example).


Ludwig Acrolite Snare Drum 5" x 14" 80s Blue/Olive Badge Good Condition | eBay
Old 4th March 2019
  #103
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Acrolites are going for like $150 USD on ebay and if you are patient you can find them even cheaper sometimes (with no hard shell plastic case for example).


Ludwig Acrolite Snare Drum 5" x 14" 80s Blue/Olive Badge Good Condition | eBay
I don't even think I'd give that for one. I never thought they were anything special. I grew up playing them in school.
Old 4th March 2019
  #104
Gear Addict
 
Anaon's Avatar
Ah ah yes I agree with you all but here in France, if it's trendy, prices get higher very quickly

I checked the prices on Ebay US, it's quite cheap indeed but with shipping and import taxes, it's another story...
Old 4th March 2019
  #105
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaon View Post
Ah ah yes I agree with you all but here in France, if it's trendy, prices get higher very quickly

I checked the prices on Ebay US, it's quite cheap indeed but with shipping and import taxes, it's another story...
You should be able to find something affordable that sounds as good, or better than an Acrolite. What do the Pearl Sensitone's that people are mentioning go for in your area?
Old 4th March 2019
  #106
Gear Addict
 
Anaon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
You should be able to find something affordable that sounds as good, or better than an Acrolite. What do the Pearl Sensitone's that people are mentioning go for in your area?
Not sure about the model, but here is a Sensitone Classic II at 300€...
Old 5th March 2019
  #107
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaon View Post
Not sure about the model, but here is a Sensitone Classic II at 300€...
I'd buy that over a Acrolite. Its a brass shell, and has die cast hoops, of which I am a big fan.
Old 15th March 2019
  #108
Gear Nut
 
3rdstone's Avatar
 

A bit off topic, but thought I'd mention anyway...

Besides the Supras (I own a 402 & a 400 that I picked up for $10 due to it being found in a school dumpster...score!) I would feel incomplete without a good wooden snare for that warmer/rounder sound (Own a Pearl 6.5" Maple full-floater that never disappoints for that type of sound).

On the other end of the spectrum, Tama made a brass shell Piccolo back in the day that sounded outstanding, and was used on tons of recordings (including "I could have Lied" from the BSSM sessions), but even used, they frequently go for over $1200 used (!).

I rolled the dice on a used 'imitation'...Pearl makes a brass piccolo, that with the right heads/tuning/ snare-wire set, sounds incredible, and can be had for less than $150 used. You just have to know what the heck you're doing setting it up, but this 3.5~4x13 drum sounds amazing on just about anything requiring a good balance between crack and the mellower sound that brass gives. Highly recommended.


Great thread BTW...cheers..
Old 15th March 2019
  #109
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
A bit off topic, but thought I'd mention anyway...

Besides the Supras (I own a 402 & a 400 that I picked up for $10 due to it being found in a school dumpster...score!) I would feel incomplete without a good wooden snare for that warmer/rounder sound (Own a Pearl 6.5" Maple full-floater that never disappoints for that type of sound).

On the other end of the spectrum, Tama made a brass shell Piccolo back in the day that sounded outstanding, and was used on tons of recordings (including "I could have Lied" from the BSSM sessions), but even used, they frequently go for over $1200 used (!).

I rolled the dice on a used 'imitation'...Pearl makes a brass piccolo, that with the right heads/tuning/ snare-wire set, sounds incredible, and can be had for less than $150 used. You just have to know what the heck you're doing setting it up, but this 3.5~4x13 drum sounds amazing on just about anything requiring a good balance between crack and the mellower sound that brass gives. Highly recommended.


Great thread BTW...cheers..
I have a Pearl Free Floating piccolo and I have barely played it in the 22+ years I've had it. Once in a blue moon, its totally cool.
Old 16th March 2019
  #110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I have a Pearl Free Floating piccolo and I have barely played it in the 22+ years I've had it. Once in a blue moon, its totally cool.
I got the same one. Got it on a Dave Weckl kick ~ '90. Doesn't get played much. Also have a Free Floater maple, that thing cuts through loud live stuff with a mighty crack. Fun drum.
Old 17th March 2019
  #111
Gear Addict
 
mrmike186's Avatar
 

My vote for cheap snare that records great goes to Pork Pie brass patina. 7x13 beaded brass shell and sounds like a black beauty with a little more pop. Around $100 used.
Old 17th March 2019
  #112
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike186 View Post
My vote for cheap snare that records great goes to Pork Pie brass patina. 7x13 beaded brass shell and sounds like a black beauty with a little more pop. Around $100 used.
I wish you could find 14" of those for $100. I have one 13", a Pork Pie Acrylic, and that's plenty.
Old 15th April 2019
  #113
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming View Post
Hi guys! A few years ago after I started this thread, I ended up picking up a 14x5 Black Beauty with tube lugs. It truely is an amazing drum and can work for pretty much any style of music. In the studio, I’ve been able to get everything from a tight bebop sound to a dry Steve Gadd sound out of it. It’s just awesome and no studio should be without one. The 6.5 BB is next on my purchase list.

With that being said, a few weeks ago I received two custom order Sonor SQ2 snares from Germany… they are such amazing instruments that I think you should all strongly consider checking them out. Some of the best snares I’ve ever heard.

The ones I purchased are identical drums- both medium beechwood shell construction (9 ply, 6mm thick), but one is 14x5 and the other is 14x6.5. They have the sensitivity of a metal snare and the warmth of wood. The beechwood drums have such beautiful, controlled overtones that sit perfectly in a mix and the snare response is so crisp without sounding harsh or brittle. Sometimes with maple drums I find that the fundamental note of the drum can get honky under the mics but the beechwood sits perfectly.

The difference in depth changes the tone of the drum quite a bit more than you’d think… the 5” has a lot of bite and crack to it and really cuts through any mix. You can crank it up and it will not choke, or tune it low and get a nice warm backbeat. You can leave it unmuffled and get some great overtones as well. It’s so open sounding and gives back so much more than what you put into it.

The 6.5 is a little more versatile- it has a bit more depth to the sound and doesn’t have as much bite. The sensitivity of it is amazing… it feels much more sensitive than the size would suggest. I never was a huge fan of 6.5” drums because I never could get the response I wanted, but this drum is so lively and gives me everything I look for in a snare drum. The sensitivity of the 6.5 seems to shine in the 8-10khz region of the mix whereas the 5” is more in the 5-7khz region. Maybe it’s just how I have them tuned, but that’s what my ears are telling me. Each one has their place for different songs though. They both are great.

Also, one of my favorite things about them is that the lugs have this really cool feature called TuneSafe, which keeps the lugs set exactly where you tuned them. No more retuning after every take!! It’s especially great for low tunings.

Here’s a picture
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Love Sonor stuff. My favorite is a beech Benny Greb 5.25 x 13. That's my go-to for recording. I also do 13" hats. Just something about that size.

Acro with the B/O badge is good too, but I wish I owned a keystone badge version instead. Of course, Supra is one of the most recorded in history.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump