The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Great Recording Snare Drums
Old 30th August 2018
I rented the first edition Tama model once.
Old 30th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I’m personally not a fan of Gretsch snares, but that aside, the two Ludwig snares are high quality performers that have appeared on thousands of great recordings.
My first kit, a 5 piece 1967 Ludwig Hollywood had a Supraphonic snare - it sounded great in the studio. I miss it!

I sold that in the mid 80's, but ten years later bought an almost new Gretsch kit - I've never been happy with the snare (though the toms and bass drum are phenomenal.)

I always liked Rogers drums too, their snare were tight and rich - at least as I remember from the early 70s
Old 30th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
My first kit, a 5 piece 1967 Ludwig Hollywood had a Supraphonic snare - it sounded great in the studio. I miss it!

I sold that in the mid 80's, but ten years later bought an almost new Gretsch kit - I've never been happy with the snare (though the toms and bass drum are phenomenal.)

I always liked Rogers drums too, their snare were tight and rich - at least as I remember from the early 70s
I didn't get a Gretsch snare when I bought my drums when I was still in school (in the 90s). I honestly don't have a lot of experience with Gretsch snares. I also have a round badge 6.5 wood that is super dry and sounds like an old Blue Note record. Its a VERY specific sounding drum. The Bell Brass is versatile as hell.

I'd like to own a Rogers set some day. I've never played on one that didn't sound great.
Old 31st August 2018
So what is the comparison between the Bell Brass and a Black Beauty?

The Black Beauty is a really flexible drum (there is a reason it's used over and over again) but I hear the Bell Brass is even more so.

I was also thinking about a 6.5x14 Supraphonic Bronze Snare.

It's tricky for me because, outside of the Black Beauty, none of these are in my area, I am going to be ordering on line. Too many options out there I guess.
Old 31st August 2018
Sorry to keep repeating.
The 6.5" Black Beauty and Ludalloy Supra are both gold standard, everyday studio snare drums that have appeared on millions of records.
I've never heard a bad word said against them.
There may be other drums that suit your taste better. I personally LOVE Craviotto wood shells, specifically a Dark Cherry snare I bought. Drumsound loves his Gretsch Bell Brass.
However, if you are looking for a tried and tested recording snare, and you can't try it first, that is uber flexible - either the Black Beauty or the standard Supraphonic are no brainers.
The Supra is very affordable. The BB is more expensive. Get a 6.5" whatever you do.
Old 31st August 2018
I always buy used - I know that freaks some people out.
With a metal drum not much can go wrong, as long as you check about the condition before you pay your money.
Often drum stores and dealers have Supras and BB's second hand.
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
So what is the comparison between the Bell Brass and a Black Beauty?

The Black Beauty is a really flexible drum (there is a reason it's used over and over again) but I hear the Bell Brass is even more so.

I was also thinking about a 6.5x14 Supraphonic Bronze Snare.

It's tricky for me because, outside of the Black Beauty, none of these are in my area, I am going to be ordering on line. Too many options out there I guess.
The thickness and weight of the Bell Brass gives the drum a weightier tone than something like a Supra or Black Beauty. Almost like a wood drum, but with a different sensitivity and 'quickness" because its still metal.

As Chris mentios, the Supra and Black Beauties are still super great. Both have a more classic metal drum sound. I played percussion in a band with a drummer who played a 6.5 Supra, and we had a 6.5 Super Sensitive in school and those are great sounding instruments.

Quote:
Sorry to keep repeating.
The 6.5" Black Beauty and Ludalloy Supra are both gold standard, everyday studio snare drums that have appeared on millions of records.
There may be other drums that suit your taste better. I personally LOVE Craviotto wood shells, specifically a Dark Cherry snare I bought. Drumsound loves his Gretsch Bell Brass.
However, if you are looking for a tried and tested recording snare, and you can't try it first, that is uber flexible - either the Black Beauty or the standard Supraphonic are no brainers.
The Supra is very affordable. The BB is more expensive. Get a 6.5" whatever you do.
Yes, especially the 6.5 recommendation. I always prefer the sound of 6.5" snares when talking about metal.

What's the Cherry like?
Old 1st September 2018
Always sounds fantastic, live or in studio.
My favourite overall snare.
Old 1st September 2018
Quote:
Sorry to keep repeating.
I agree with you. I have been recording other peoples BB's for 25 years or so always with good results. I was just thinking there was something else out there that I should try but you talked me into it... BB it is.....

Thanks
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
I agree with you. I have been recording other peoples BB's for 25 years or so always with good results. I was just thinking there was something else out there that I should try but you talked me into it... BB it is.....

Thanks
Enjoy it. New snare drum day is always fun.
Old 18th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans A View Post
i like the acrylic Fibes snare.
Ha! I thought I was the only guy who liked those. Or even knew about them.

Still, having grown up listening to and drooling over Ludwig Supraphonic 400s 40-odd years ago, that's kind of my platonic ideal. A snare drum has to be a significant improvement over a bog stock Supraphonic to catch my ear. I think the only drum that's made me reconsider what my personal gold standard is would be the wood (and wood-rimmed) 5.25" Ayotte. That drum is a-freakin-mazing.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Old thread, but hopefully some of the posters with wisdom won't abandon it if there's a new reply.

I have a 6.5 x 14 Black Beauty and think it is awesome. I'm looking into buying one more snare for variety's sake and am looking at a Supraphonic. I agree with those on the thread who recommend those two for a non-drummer like me...why re-invent the wheel, right? One of the best things about that BB was how easy it was to get a great sound right out of the box. Despite my meager tuning skills it just sounds like a record.

My question is whether to get a 6.5 x 14 Supra like the BB, or the 5 x 14 for variety.

Can you get more crack out of the smaller size or is it the sort of thing in which you can make the bigger size sound like the smaller, but not the other way around?

Thanks!
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
Old thread, but hopefully some of the posters with wisdom won't abandon it if there's a new reply.

I have a 6.5 x 14 Black Beauty and think it is awesome. I'm looking into buying one more snare for variety's sake and am looking at a Supraphonic. I agree with those on the thread who recommend those two for a non-drummer like me...why re-invent the wheel, right? One of the best things about that BB was how easy it was to get a great sound right out of the box. Despite my meager tuning skills it just sounds like a record.

My question is whether to get a 6.5 x 14 Supra like the BB, or the 5 x 14 for variety.

Can you get more crack out of the smaller size or is it the sort of thing in which you can make the bigger size sound like the smaller, but not the other way around?

Thanks!
5" metal snares have more bite and less body than 6.5" drums. I have 2 really good sounding 5" metal drums, but I don't find myself wanting to play them long term. They just become uneventful and thin to me. It may work on a song or two, be if I bring one to a gig, about 5 songs in, I'm wishing I had brought something different. I don't have that issue with the 6.5" Bell Brass. I don't have that issue with 5" wood snares.

YMMV
Old 14th December 2018
I agree, a 6.5" snare is much more versatile.
I don't think there is a huge difference between a Black Beauty and a Supra. There is a difference, but not huge.
If it were me I would be looking at a different metal or wood snare.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have a 6.5 x 14 Black Beauty and think it is awesome. I'm looking into buying one more snare for variety's sake...
Having more than one snare is great. You can throw the snares off on one of them and use it as an additional tom flavor. Or leave the snares on -- what the hell. And I often take the res head off my kick and put the second snare inside, upside down.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks, guys!
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
5" metal snares have more bite and less body than 6.5" drums. I have 2 really good sounding 5" metal drums, but I don't find myself wanting to play them long term. They just become uneventful and thin to me. It may work on a song or two, be if I bring one to a gig, about 5 songs in, I'm wishing I had brought something different. I don't have that issue with the 6.5" Bell Brass. I don't have that issue with 5" wood snares.

YMMV

Totally agree. The 6.5" snares are just more versatile and fun to play. They record better than my 5's as well. Ludwig is now making an 8" Supralite Steel snare! I really want to get my hands on one of those!!!

53A23221 Results | Musician's Friend

Attached Thumbnails
Great Recording Snare Drums-ludwig-supralite-8-inches.jpg  
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Totally agree. The 6.5" snares are just more versatile and fun to play. They record better than my 5's as well. Ludwig is now making an 8" Supralite Steel snare! I really want to get my hands on one of those!!!

53A23221 Results | Musician's Friend

I've never played a 8" metal snare, that I recall. I have a buddy's 8" birch Tama at the studio its a really odd duck. Snare response is weird, and I'm not sure if its the depth or what. I should probably spend a little time messing with tunings and snare tension, to see if I can find some sort of sweet spot.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanks!
I typically have a 6.5" and 5" Ludwig Hammered Bronze snares at my kit. I tune the 5 higher; it also has tube lugs and I use different wires on the two drums. It's pretty similar to a BB -- just a little woodier.

Since I typically have both snares at my kit and a few more on the shelf, I actually feel it is worth having both available. Having both in reach is cool; because they sound similar you can work them both for the part. A bit like having another dimension to a snare. I have and have had several other nice snares and these two are on my kit the vast majority of the time.

Bearing in mind that these two drums have different wires, tunings and lugs… The 5" has a different sound. "More Bite and Less Body" is a good description. The shallower drum also responds slightly faster and has slightly less volume. It's not as fat and sluggish as the 6.5" and it seems to be a little more sensitive and a little drier. Tonally it has a bit more cut and crack.

The 6.5" was, for me, the obvious choice to buy first. It's been my main snare for a few years. I originally didn't expect the 5" would get a ton of use but… with both snares within sticks' reach I find myself using the 5" more and more over the years. These days I am using it about 1/3 of the time or more when those two drums are at the set.

If you had to choose just one… I think the Hammered Bronze 6.5" is generally better for Rock, Metal, and heavier/louder music. The 6.5" is more versatile for what I play. I find the 5" Hammered Bronze tends to work better for genres such as Pop, Funk, and Jazz.

Sure, they are hardly disparate tones but if you like the base tone of a drum and just want a different response and tone with a familiar sound… it's definitely worth considering the shallower variant of that drum you love.

If you have a little collection of snares I think a 14x5 or 14x5.5 is a great addition if you don't have one. I use my 5" much much more than my 8". If all you have is a few 14x6.5s with a few different shell materials then I definitely recommend branching out and grabbing a 14x5 or 14x5.5.
Old 4th January 2019
The Ludwig Hammered Bronze snares are excellent and different sounding to the Black Beauty. I agree, both a bit more lively and a bit more 'woody'.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone try the new Ludwig Supralite? I’d like to get a snare just for playing out that has that “Ludwig” sound.
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Anyone try the new Ludwig Supralite? I’d like to get a snare just for playing out that has that “Ludwig” sound.
Don't know about the Supralite but the Black Magic sounds really close to a Black Beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
Great Recording Snare Drums-black-magic.jpg  
Old 6th January 2019
An old Acrolite is both affordable and good sounding.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought a 5x15 Supralite for our studio because of the novelty size factor. It still has that Ludwig crack, but kinda lower, rounder. The wider playing surface gives it a wider dynamic range between dry and resonant, It‘s got an interesting combination of lower basic pitch and shallow-shell responsiveness.
But the 5x14 Acro and - most of all - the hammered 6.5x14 BB get the most action around here. Followed by the maple Mapex Black Widow, which loves high tunings.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
An old Acrolite is both affordable and good sounding.

Agreed. I have an Acrolite and it records really great!

I also have a 6.5" Pearl (Steel) Sensitone which is extremely versatile.

I'm just really curious about what an 8 inch snare sounds like in a recording environment.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike186 View Post
Don't know about the Supralite but the Black Magic sounds really close to a Black Beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
I bought a 5x15 Supralite for our studio because of the novelty size factor. It still has that Ludwig crack, but kinda lower, rounder. The wider playing surface gives it a wider dynamic range between dry and resonant, It‘s got an interesting combination of lower basic pitch and shallow-shell responsiveness.
But the 5x14 Acro and - most of all - the hammered 6.5x14 BB get the most action around here. Followed by the maple Mapex Black Widow, which loves high tunings.

Thanks for the replies!

I think between my Acrolite and my Sensitone I've got a lot of ground covered.

You know us slutz though, always wondering about what that "other" thing sounds like, lol.

I've also got a few nice wood shell snares but tend to favor metal snares for some reason.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
My church band uses one of the 8" Supralites as pictured above.

It sounds decent...great for the money, but it doesn't sound like the iconic Ludwigs to me.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Agreed. I have an Acrolite and it records really great!

I also have a 6.5" Pearl (Steel) Sensitone which is extremely versatile.

I'm just really curious about what an 8 inch snare sounds like in a recording environment.
I have an 8" Tame Superstar here. Its a weird drum, for sure. The snare response and general feel are hard to describe specifically, but I consider that drum kind of "off -putting." It just doesn't do anything as you expect.

I don't know about metal 8" drums, so maybe I'm not really adding something to the conversation...
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I have an 8" Tame Superstar here. Its a weird drum, for sure. The snare response and general feel are hard to describe specifically, but I consider that drum kind of "off -putting." It just doesn't do anything as you expect.

I don't know about metal 8" drums, so maybe I'm not really adding something to the conversation...

Yeah I think an 8” would need to be tuned extremely high and tight in order to have decent response. That’s kind of what I’m intending, e.g. to really crank it up yet still retain some body from the shell being it’s a bit deeper. Not sure I’ll get the supralite but if I do i’ll Report back here with my findings.
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah I think an 8” would need to be tuned extremely high and tight in order to have decent response. That’s kind of what I’m intending, e.g. to really crank it up yet still retain some body from the shell being it’s a bit deeper. Not sure I’ll get the supralite but if I do i’ll Report back here with my findings.
That might be true. I should try that with the Tama.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search