The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Great Recording Snare Drums
Old 7th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The whole point for me is to record it.
All my best gear goes to sessions. That's why I have it.
hell yeah...I agree
Old 7th March 2014
Actually thinking about it, I don't own any myself, but I've been consistently impressed with various Pearl Masters Custom (Maple - I think branded MCX these days) & thin shell Masterworks over the years. They've often been hanging around sessions for me as a B or C snare option and surprisingly often wound up being the best pick against some of the classic snares mentioned here. I always used to think of Masters snares as somehow run-of-the-mill but they just keep popping up.

Slightly off topic, but the Pearl signature Omar Hakim mahogany 13" x 5" is also a very cool drum. More of a character snare than a classic/versatile one though. I've just put one on order actually.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The whole point for me is to record it.
All my best gear goes to sessions. That's why I have it.
That´s the attitude!

How do you compare your BB with newer brass snares (Steve Ferrone´s, newer BBs, Brass Sensitones, etc)?
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Guru

I have a lot of snares, but I think I've gotten the most mileage out of my Bison 5x14 maple. I swapped the top rim for a die-cast from a Pearl free floating piccolo a while back, but it was great with the flanged hoop as well. I can tune many different ways and it sounds great.

I think the Bison and a Leedy&Ludwig 5.5x14. Its got a really cool midrange. It sounds a little odd in the room sometimes, but mics love it.

5x14 metal drums are cool, and I really need a 6.5x14 brass drum...

I love snares and feel its impossible to own too many.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking for something with a bit more crack, similar to the snare sound on Steely Dan's Everything Must Go album.
I believe Keith Carlock favored a Yamaha 3.5x 14 brass piccolo snare in his Yamaha days but it could have been multiple snares used.
Old 8th March 2014
I think the OP mentioned looking into a 5" black beauty. I'd recommend a 6.5".
I had a 5" once and it always sounded too thin and bright. Sold it for a 6.5" it was much better (for me).
Try both if you can. Maybe mine was a dog..who knows.
Really love the 6.5", not hard to get it to sound like Carter Beauford with the right compression.
Oh.. and save some money and get it B-stock
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreton566 View Post
I think the OP mentioned looking into a 5" black beauty. I'd recommend a 6.5".
I had a 5" once and it always sounded too thin and bright. Sold it for a 6.5" it was much better (for me).
Try both if you can. Maybe mine was a dog..who knows.
Really love the 6.5", not hard to get it to sound like Carter Beauford with the right compression.
Oh.. and save some money and get it B-stock
I already have a 6.5"x14 DW Maple VLT snare so I don't want to buy a snare that will be too close to what I already have. Do you think the 6.5" BB will sound drastically different than the DW? I've found that the DW works exceptionally well with lower tunings but with tighter tunings it has a bit too much body for the sound I'm looking for. I just don't want another snare that's gonna sound too deep at tight tunings.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike186 View Post
I believe Keith Carlock favored a Yamaha 3.5x 14 brass piccolo snare in his Yamaha days but it could have been multiple snares used.
I'm almost positive that is what he used on that track. Unfortunately Yamaha doesn't make that snare anymore though.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanr View Post

Slightly off topic, but the Pearl signature Omar Hakim mahogany 13" x 5" is also a very cool drum. More of a character snare than a classic/versatile one though. I've just put one on order actually.
Great shout Dylan,

These things sound amazing recorded. I used to think they were slightly boxy sounding on their own but in the mix they're stunning sounding.

Pearl Masters maple snares are also a dream as you mentioned, I had a 14x16.5 natural maple version from the late 90s which I was stupid enough to sell on. Biggest regret I've had.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 8th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensDrumming View Post
I already have a 6.5"x14 DW Maple VLT snare so I don't want to buy a snare that will be too close to what I already have. Do you think the 6.5" BB will sound drastically different than the DW?
Different enough.
I would go for the 6.5" BB over the 5".
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

I just bought a Pearl Elite Sensitone Steel 14 x 6.5 and really like it.

It's basically a Supraphonic but for way less money when bought new.Got it for 200 Euros from Thomann.

The Sensitones are made in different varities: brass, aluminium, bronze, etc in 5" or 6.5" sizes. I definitely plan to get another one at some point, probably aluminium.

Though listening to tons of samples and clips lately, I just prefer steel snares in general.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I will say that I'm a huge Supraphonic fan, but the Black Galaxy Acrolites are almost as good. For some reason the silver Acrolites don't sound as good to my ears.

By almost as good, I mean it's hard to tell the difference when a Black Galaxy and Supraphonic are side by side and tuned the exact same. So if you want a cheap great sounding drum, get an Acrolite. I've seen several 5x14 in pawn shops for $50. The 6.5x14 is less common, so is far less likely to turn up in a pawn shop.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Put me down in the Black Beauty list, the 6.5".
Old 26th August 2018
Bumping an old thread.

I have a bunch of nice snares now but they are all what I would consider to be, mid level snares that don't have a wide tuning range (they sound great in a limited area) and I don't have one a good solid go to / all around studio snare.

Looking for something a little like a Blood / Sugar snare that can also do ballads and get very dry (with a little Moongel help) like a Curtis Mayfield vibe. I guess that means I am looking for a serious all around snare that can handle a really wide tuning range while still keeping some pop and crack.

I was thinking about a Kenny Aronoff Trackmaster or a Black Beauty 14x6.5. I thought about a Bell Brass, I could afford one but not sure I really want to spend that much on a snare and I don't know if it would do what I am looking for in the first place.

Anything else I should consider?
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Bumping an old thread.

I have a bunch of nice snares now but they are all what I would consider to be, mid level snares that don't have a wide tuning range (they sound great in a limited area) and I don't have one a good solid go to / all around studio snare.

Looking for something a little like a Blood / Sugar snare that can also do ballads and get very dry (with a little Moongel help) like a Curtis Mayfield vibe. I guess that means I am looking for a serious all around snare that can handle a really wide tuning range while still keeping some pop and crack.

I was thinking about a Kenny Aronoff Trackmaster or a Black Beauty 14x6.5. I thought about a Bell Brass, I could afford one but not sure I really want to spend that much on a snare and I don't know if it would do what I am looking for in the first place.

Anything else I should consider?
I bought a Gretsch Bell Brass a few years ago. I usually prefer wood snares, but the BB, with it thicker than usual metal snares, is something special. You can get a lof of different sounds out of it, and it records beautifully as well.

You mention Blood Sugar, and that, to me sounds like a 5" metal drum on a lot of the songs. I have a couple 5" metal snares and they do sound good, but aren't super versatile.
Old 26th August 2018
6.5” Black Beauty or Supraphonic are no brainers.
I recorded a 15” Aronoff Trackmaster last Summer and although it didn’t excite me in the room, off tape (pro tools) it sounded pretty good
Old 28th August 2018
Thanks guys

Anyone have any experience / opinion on a Gretsch Bell Brass? I have been thinking about that as well.
Old 28th August 2018
I’m personally not a fan of Gretsch snares, but that aside, the two Ludwig snares are high quality performers that have appeared on thousands of great recordings.
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Guru

Seems to me that snares and rooms are so interdependent that you can never have too many snares -- you'll eventually find yourself in a room where one particular snare is the right one.

In my live room, THE snare is this cheap thing that came with a $500 Ludwig starter set. Defies explanation.
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks guys

Anyone have any experience / opinion on a Gretsch Bell Brass? I have been thinking about that as well.
I got a Gretsch Bell Brass about 2 years ago and I really love it. I've used it on a ton of things, at various tunings with great results. I'm generally a wood snare guy. I have a Ludwig and a Slingerland 5 inch metal drums. They are cool, but I only use them for short periods of time, or just a song or two hear and there. The Bell Brass, on the other hand, I will keep playing for much longer periods. I really love that drum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Seems to me that snares and rooms are so interdependent that you can never have too many snares -- you'll eventually find yourself in a room where one particular snare is the right one.

In my live room, THE snare is this cheap thing that came with a $500 Ludwig starter set. Defies explanation.
There truly is no such thing as having too many snares, or cymbals.
Old 28th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks guys

Quote:
Thanks guys

I absolutely love my Gretsch bell brass. Lovely snare. I have the USA version although I prefer the looks of the full range model.

If I ever find another drumcraft 6mm bell brass though, the gretsch will be gone!
Old 29th August 2018
Thanks everyone

So I am not all that "up" on different drum models from all the different manufactures.

What is the difference between the Gretsch models? What is the Brooklyn and how is it different from maybe a USA (is there a difference)?

Gretsch 6.5x14 Brooklyn Bell Brass Snare | Red Velvet Drums | Reverb

What should I be looking for? It appears there are a couple of different versions of the Bell Brass.

Thanks again
Old 29th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks everyone

So I am not all that "up" on different drum models from all the different manufactures.

What is the difference between the Gretsch models? What is the Brooklyn and how is it different from maybe a USA (is there a difference)?

Gretsch 6.5x14 Brooklyn Bell Brass Snare | Red Velvet Drums | Reverb

What should I be looking for? It appears there are a couple of different versions of the Bell Brass.

Thanks again
Specifically comparing the drum you linked and mine, the main differences are that my drum has 10 double sided lugs, and much more importantly, die cast hoops. The one you posted has 8 lugs and triple flanged hoops. Those are pretty significant things. They both effect tuning and tone.

Mine may be made overseas, but I don't care, its great.
Old 29th August 2018
Do you record with the Grestch much?
I think it's hard to beat the Ludwigs and I've always struggled with Gretsch metal shell snares.
Old 30th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Specifically comparing the drum you linked and mine, the main differences are that my drum has 10 double sided lugs, and much more importantly, die cast hoops. The one you posted has 8 lugs and triple flanged hoops. Those are pretty significant things. They both effect tuning and tone.

Mine may be made overseas, but I don't care, its great.
So what is your model? My problem is I don't know any of the models so I am trying to get my bearings (pun intended).

Old 30th August 2018
Quote:
I think it's hard to beat the Ludwigs and I've always struggled with Gretsch metal shell snares.
Yeah, you know I was thinking about a Black Beauty, that seems really safe.... but maybe just a little too safe.... it's like the stock answer.

I have a couple of nice Black Beauty knock offs that sound great but I would like to have a "real" BB.

Just wondering if there is something else out there I should check out which is why I was asking about the Bell Brass etc.
Old 30th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have done a lot of tracking with the Bell Brass, and it sounds really great, with me and with other drummers playing.
Quote:
So what is your model? My problem is I don't know any of the models so I am trying to get my bearings (pun intended).

I honestly don't know. I got an email from my buddy who works for one of the large retailers and the had Gretsch training that day and were allowed to offer special pricing, and I jumped on it. I know it was a $1500 list, and they normally sold for $1000 and I was able to pay far less than that.
Old 30th August 2018
Quote:
Yeah, you know I was thinking about a Black Beauty, that seems really safe.... but maybe just a little too safe.... it's like the stock answer.
The drum doesn’t sound ‘safe’, it can do anything.
It’s a popular answer because it’s a drum that’s hard to fail with.
Old 30th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I have done a lot of tracking with the Bell Brass,
It sounds good on your Sara Quah album.
Old 30th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
It sounds good on your Sara Quah album.
Thanks, Chris, that means a lot to me. I think about 90% of that record is the Bell Brass.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search