The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Decent CHEAP kit or setup for use with Slate/triggered drums
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Decent CHEAP kit or setup for use with Slate/triggered drums

The subject says the most of it. I'm tired of programming drums by hand and I can't quite get the feel that I want in a timely period. I know that the majority of the time, i would have better luck just playing the drums instead of programming them.

Limited budget and limited noise-level dictates that possible need for an electric kit.

What does the job decently? Feel isn't that important to me for my uses.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
If you can pick up a really cheap acoustic drum kit - you can do what I do (which I find to work very well).

I purchased 4 Roland Triggers (the type that clip onto the drum heads). They are velocity sensitive, and the snare trigger actually has 2 triggers inside it, one gets the rim, and the other gets the drum head.

I do own an Alesis Trigger I/O - which is like a cheap version of the 'drum brain' on electric kits. This interface converts all of your drum triggers into midi hits. I don't use it much though - because I find that I get better results (Latency and accuracy) by simply connecting the triggers into the preamps on my recording interface, then just using a pluggin like drumagog or slate trigger to replace the hits with samples.

I also purchased a couple electronic cymbals for cheap secondhand, and a Roland hihat pedal trigger. The Allesis trigger I/O takes care of controlling the hihat pedal to change the midi note of the hihats for open / closed.

Lastly - Pearl makes silent mesh drum heads to use on the kit so that there is no actual sound from your kit. These are much cheaper than real drumheads.

The end result is that I have an electric kit that feels as good to play as the top of the line Roland V-Drum kits ( at a fraction of the cost), the ability to make the sounds in my DAW (Rather than just getting a library of stock Roland sounds built into the kit ), and the ability to put real drum heads back on the kit for real recording.

Hybrid Electric / Accoustic kit
Old 27th October 2013
Here for the gear

A second hand Roland TD-3 would fit the bill very nicely and shouldn't break the bank too much.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search