The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need a new kit (Premier APK?)
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Need a new kit (Premier APK?)

Hello everybody, I am currently searching for a new kit to upgrade from my Tama Rockstar 5-piece kit. I'm trying to keep within a budget of $500-700 (yes, I understand that I get what I pay for) and was hoping you guys could help steer me in the right direction.

I've been looking on Musician's Friend and various other sites, and two of the kits that I have my eye on are the Premier APK Modern Rock and the Yamaha Stage Custom. Are these two kits worth their price and good for an intermediate drummer? Are there any similar (and better) kits for around the same price I should know about?

Also, it might help to know that I play rock, alternative, and punk - think along the lines of Soundgarden, The Clash, The Doors, Queens Of The Stone Age, and so forth. Anything that is versatile enough to sound good playing those kinds of music is good enough for me.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I always recommend Gretsch Catalina in that price range. I am however also a fan of Soundgarden so the Yamaha kit you mention may also work.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would look for a used kit, you'll get more drum for your $$. Something like this would be better quality and leave room in the budget for cymbal or hardware upgrade if needed. Need a new kit (Premier APK?)http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-MAPLE...item1e80a5ff86

Last edited by Grumblefoot; 15th October 2013 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Link added
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

I just played a pdp custom birch and was blown away. Its dw's "lower end" brand but there was nothing lower endish if you ask me.

Sent from my VS910 4G

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search