The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
long board Bass Drum Pedals
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

long board Bass Drum Pedals

I've been looking for a bass drum pedal that will allow me to do some heel toe technique without spending $200 on Axis, Trick, etc. So, after some time on Ebay I ended comparing these three: DW5000 nylon strap with solid foot board; Pearl P900; and the new Pearl P930. The DW just doesn't cut it. the hinge where the foot-board connects to rock plate eliminates any benefit of the longer board. The P900, with the foot board slid all the way back does give a nice feel and allows some heel toe movement. The P930, I was hoping, would have a slightly longer foot board but, because the base is lifted off the rock plate a bit, it gives slightly longer workable playing surface than the P900. The P900 feels great though and can be had on ebay for like $30. I've had the higher end eliminator for years and this cheaper version has a very similar feel and the same foot board length. The $90 Demonator is a great pedal at a great price point.

length of foot board from top to hinge at the base (the footboard might be a little longer than the following measurements but these are the "playable surface" lengths:

DW5000: 9 1/2"
P900: 10"
P930: 10 1/2"

I'd like to know the lenghts of other pedals' playable foot boards so please bust out your measureing tapes and comment!
DW's up on ebay if anyone's interested. Hope this info is helpful to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
long board Bass Drum Pedals-20131012_121844-1-.jpg  
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear
You dont need a long board bass drum pedal to do heel - toe technique stuff...

You just need to practice with what you have... I have a plain old iron cobra and it works just fine...

In fact, with a little practice - even a Ludwig speed king will work... Listen to Good Times Bad Times...

It's not about the gear...
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutterd View Post
You dont need a long board bass drum pedal to do heel - toe technique stuff...
plus the other surfers will make fun of you if you show up with a longboard
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

I can definitely see the benefit of a longboard. I would check out the Tama Speed Cobra, it has a standard heel plate but it has a longer footboard which is kind of nice. Also though a bit expensive, the Trick Pro-1v Bigfoot is great!
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Head

So true!

[QUOTE=mutterd;9508067]You dont need a long board bass drum pedal to do heel - toe technique stuff...

You just need to practice with what you have... I have a plain old iron cobra and it works just fine...

In fact, with a little practice - even a Ludwig speed king will work... Listen to Good Times Bad Times...

It's not about the gear...[/QUO

+1
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search