The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kick ass online session drummers
Old 9th April 2006
Lives for gear

Kick ass online session drummers

In a sort of continuation to the other thread, are there online drummers you guys use to get the drums your after and do they do an awesome job.

Also how much do they cost?

Cheers.

Another thing, how do you guys go about telling them what sort of feel/style you wish to have on the drums.
Old 9th April 2006
Gear Nut

You might check this out.

http://www.esession.com/site/
Old 9th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickpunch
You might check this out.

http://www.esession.com/site/
Never heard of that kind of service before, really interesting......do you know of anyone that has used it - I mean is it a popular thing?

Cheers.
Old 10th April 2006
The website says its 75% near readyness....

Looks like they are wanting to launch this 100% correct

I met people working with it / runing it.

Seemed very switched on & cool

Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

Plenty of guys doing this. As a matter of fact, a couple guys that frequent Gearslutz do this quite often.

Price: looks like for anyone worth their salt- your looking at about 300 a track. That is generally a player has a decent home tracking set up. Or they are perhaps project studio owner/ operator type guy. I can think of half a dozen guys that aren't big names ( but solid working session guys) that are doing exactly that here in so. cal. , and probably another ten guys doing it that do have names. Those guys your probably looking at a grand a tune. some less, some more. I think generally those guys are booking out a real tracking room and doing it right and it's generally more of a "formal " remote tracking arrangment where a producer is involved.

I've been averaging a half a dozen tracks a month in my little burg- I charge the standard local scale ( 100 an hour, 3 hour min) and generally try to get a couple tracks in that time, including getting tones. For me to make ANY money, I have to piggyback those sessions on the back of another "drum day" that I may have booked for another client. ( I'll generally just keep the drum sound up and get the tunes at the tail end of the session. ) If I have a fair number of tunes I'll book a half day at a rocking tracking room, and knock out a bunch-

I think esessions.com is an awesome idea, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think the problem will arise when they take the real tracking rooms out of the equation, and try to rely on the Muso's being a good tracking engineer as well as a player...that's a whole other world, and frankly I don't see many guys doing it on a level ( at a home project room) that will compete ( lot's of exceptions to that of course)
I think the key is going to be how the muso's ( especially the name guys ) do when dealing with the public at large, those folks being the new de-facto producers on the project and how they will communicate. ( i use Skype and ichat/isight ) I'm not sure I see the paradigm of " send me your track, I'll track on it and send it back) will ever replace the need for live comunication with the artist/muso/producers...

I'm watching the esession thing closely 'cuase I think it's GREAT in theory. I just think the more effective method would be to play more of a broker/ remote production role, and keep the players in the traditional tracking rooms.

Didn't esessions start based out of a studio? Perhaps as an additional revenue source?

Great Idea, i hope it works, if people bite- this could help a lot of talented players that aren't in major markets, get heard.
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Check out Ron Wikso. I was very satisfied with the 2 drumtracks he did for me; excellent feel and exactly right for the songs in the Pop/Rock vein with minimal instructions.

On the website you can check out his rate by clicking on the PayPal logo ($135,- per track).

Also very friendly and professional; highly recommended!

Martijn.
Old 10th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajonezzz
Plenty of guys doing this. As a matter of fact, a couple guys that frequent Gearslutz do this quite often.

....Great Idea, i hope it works, if people bite- this could help a lot of talented players that aren't in major markets, get heard.
Yes it seems like a great idea.

By the way, Love your sig cajonezzz
Old 10th April 2006
I've got an arrangement with one drummer to do this type of work. Steve Wolf - see http://wolfedelic.com for his list of credits and http://www.monsterisland.com/studio for the gear info.

I can also bring in Steve Holley, Charlie Drayton, or Omar Hakim if any of those guys interest you (and they're in town). They run a pretty wide price range and I'm sure they'd prefer their rates kept in PMs.
Old 11th April 2006
Gear Nut

www.brianfullen.com

These are the best online and most affordable drums. I use him on all my stuff from country to metal to hard swing tunes. He does it all. and percussion too!!
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

Joel Taylor, [email protected], great guy, can play all styles, sight reads, professional.
In the process of creating the site, but figured I would tip him off.
Los Angeles based.

Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

I'm doing a lot of session remote ( i'm a drummer ) and i did a couple
of tracks for the guys in here,

PM me is you want more info..
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear
also i-studio.net
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone
I'm doing a lot of session remote ( i'm a drummer ) and i did a couple
of tracks for the guys in here,

PM me is you want more info..

I highly recommend Bigbone. Astounding drummer and great guy to work with.

You can hear his playing in my myspace link>>>>
Old 11th April 2006
Lives for gear

Thank you The real for your words....

And by the way i LOVE your new avatar hehehehhe
Old 12th April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH
www.brianfullen.com

These are the best online and most affordable drums. I use him on all my stuff from country to metal to hard swing tunes. He does it all. and percussion too!!
The demo on the website seems to be rather phased?
Old 12th April 2006
Lives for gear

... and another 26 drummers on Session Players

Just for fun you should make a temp-drum track using Spectrasonics Backbeat or Retro Funk and have Gregg Bissonette replace them...
Old 13th April 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt
The demo on the website seems to be rather phased?
The website's opening tune is just some 'welcome tune' and it's probably a low compressed file just for that purpose.

He's got some 30 demos on his site.

Check them out here

http://www.brianfullen.com/studios.htm
Old 19th September 2006
Here for the gear

drumoverdubs.com

Drumoverdubs.com with Brian McRae ...

Brian was one of the very first guys doing this out of his studio in Colorado. Two advantages here:

1- Brian is simply an excellent excellent drummer who can hang with any 'big name' dude. I LOVE drummers who are extremely sensitive to everything musical happening (as a serious jazz drummer would be) yet can simply lay it down from a groove/power/rock perspective. I've worked with or around a number of excellent dudes - steve smith, peter erskine, vinnie colaiuta, kevin murphy to name a few - and brian's ability is right with all of them.

2 - I know exactly what I'm getting as far as his studio goes - he has all the right stuff an knows what to do with it. Mic preamps from Manley, Chandler and Grace, to give you an idea. I've been to his studio (I'm also in Colorado) and the guy has it going on from an engineering perspective. He also introduced me to this special compressor - the "transient designer" - which is just a killer and useful piece. I can talk gear with him and he is cool, and I can talk music with him and he is cool.

The big thing about using these guys is to have as much tracking done as possible to give them the best idea of what to do (play to a click - always - and perhaps use scratch or programmed drums) ... even if it means you have to re-track when you get the drums back. You'll have to contact Brian about his rates, and he will be WAY less than the "name" guys I mentioned above with the same ability and probably much more sensitivity to your music.
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlizz View Post
... and another 26 drummers on Session Players

Just for fun you should make a temp-drum track using Spectrasonics Backbeat or Retro Funk and have Gregg Bissonette replace them...
It's early in the morning....I am crabby....so, I will probably regret writing this: This is just a fine example of the fact that Money can get you anything. I wonder how many crappy songs get sent in to have Peter Erskine play on them and how many really great songs stay locked up in some guys hard drive in his basement because he can't rub two nickles together to get them out the door. I dunno, some people have the dough to buy all this really high end gear and now they can actually hire freakin' Will Kennedy or Gregg Bissonette!!!! Where is it gonna end? Where is my Coffee??!!

To keep this on subject I like this guy http://www.drumoverdubs.com/
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've been offering this service for a while, in addition to my normal studio engineering/producing gig. Hell, anything to make a dollar or two and have some fun! Seems everyone has a 'studio' but drums are a bit more difficult to get right for folks tracking in their bedroom.

Depending on the complexity and style of music, I can usually get multiple tunes done per hour, so pound for pound it's actually more profitable (than renting my studio out by the hour or at my normal day rates).

I'm hesitant to go here, but WTF; the 'pitch':

I'm nobody, but I have done some major label work, tons of indies, and I've been a pro session/live/ghost player for better than twenty years... I played on my first record at the ripe age of 11, and was hooked on recording, instantly.

Pricewise, I charge $100 for the first song, $75 each additional (when submitted together; not piecemeal). I also offer full album rates. Turnaround is usually pretty fast, as I can do the tracking at my leisure, anytime night or day.

My trusty old Slingerland kit stays setup, tuned, mic'd, and ready to roll, here in my studio. I track to PTHD and deliver in whatever format the client requests. You can see a few pix of the kit and room here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...t=6803&page=21

Clicks, charts, Nashville numbers, preprogrammed beats, beatbox; whatever I get sent, I can usually make work. I can deliver the tracks raw or fully processed, or both.

If you want it PT'ed to death, I can do all that crap too (for additional charges, of course!); Heck, I'd also be very happy to tune the vocals and then mix the song, after I lay down the drums, if you'd like! (additional $)

I've never really had anyone be dissatisfied with my playing or services (at least that I was aware of), but if you're not pleased, I'll refund your money (Obviously, you would not have use of the tracks I played).

PM me for contact/additional info.
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've had a great experiences hiring Jim McCarty. His rate is ridiculously low.

http://www.drum-tracks.com/
Old 23rd September 2006
You want some METAL DRUMZ you ht me up dawgz.

I'll hook it up!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Ron Wikso + million. He just did 13 tracks for my album. My stuff is standard Rock and Roll but with some quirky changes and Ron rocked it. Sometimes I would get the tracks back and it would sound EXACTLY like what was in my head and I would just be shocked.
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
In a sort of continuation to the other thread, are there online drummers you guys use to get the drums your after and do they do an awesome job.

Also how much do they cost?

Cheers.

Another thing, how do you guys go about telling them what sort of feel/style you wish to have on the drums.
I'm pretty damn good. If you are ever interested, I will email demos.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I'd like to add my friend Marc Slutsky to the list. He's a great modern rock drummer and great at other styles as well.

Marc was in a band called Splender a few years back that was on Sony and then J Records. Mike Shipley mixed the first record and some of the second. Mike Shipley talks about Splender here:

Splender/Rundgren

Marc's been doing a lot of cool stuff since Splender. I just had him play on a coupla songs for a project somewhat similar to Gym Class Heroes and he killed it. If you're looking for an online session drummer or a session drummer for studio work in NYC give him a look.

:: marc slutsky ::
Old 10th August 2008
Here for the gear

ERIC STOCK | custom drum trax

There's the link. This guy has done lots of work for us [music for film/tv] and has done a great job. Takes a lot of pride in his work and it shows. Great sounds, great feel. No complaints from me!

Only $200 per track and can give a deal if you group them.
Old 10th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajonezzz View Post

Price: looks like for anyone worth their salt- your looking at about 300 a track. That is generally a player has a decent home tracking set up. Or they are perhaps project studio owner/ operator type guy. I can think of half a dozen guys that aren't big names ( but solid working session guys) that are doing exactly that here in so. cal. , and probably another ten guys doing it that do have names. Those guys your probably looking at a grand a tune. some less, some more. I think generally those guys are booking out a real tracking room and doing it right and it's generally more of a "formal " remote tracking arrangment where a producer is involved.

I've been averaging a half a dozen tracks a month in my little burg- I charge the standard local scale ( 100 an hour, 3 hour min) and generally try to get a couple tracks in that time, including getting tones. For me to make ANY money, I have to piggyback those sessions on the back of another "drum day" that I may have booked for another client. ( I'll generally just keep the drum sound up and get the tunes at the tail end of the session. ) If I have a fair number of tunes I'll book a half day at a rocking tracking room, and knock out a bunch-

I think esessions.com is an awesome idea, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think the problem will arise when they take the real tracking rooms out of the equation, and try to rely on the Muso's being a good tracking engineer as well as a player...that's a whole other world, and frankly I don't see many guys doing it on a level ( at a home project room) that will compete ( lot's of exceptions to that of course)
I think the key is going to be how the muso's ( especially the name guys ) do when dealing with the public at large, those folks being the new de-facto producers on the project and how they will communicate. ( i use Skype and ichat/isight ) I'm not sure I see the paradigm of " send me your track, I'll track on it and send it back) will ever replace the need for live comunication with the artist/muso/producers...

I'm watching the esession thing closely 'cuase I think it's GREAT in theory. I just think the more effective method would be to play more of a broker/ remote production role, and keep the players in the traditional tracking rooms.

Didn't esessions start based out of a studio? Perhaps as an additional revenue source?

Great Idea, i hope it works, if people bite- this could help a lot of talented players that aren't in major markets, get heard.
I can say from experience that you'd be hard pressed finding someone with Craig's skills behind the kit AND behind the board anywhere. That combined with what his services cost seems to make him the "no-brainer" choice, or at least worth a look.

-C
Old 14th January 2009
Here for the gear

hey, i just joined. Im a drummer who has done some session work, usually i have to approach a situation completely open and ready for suggestions from who ever Im recording with, and for the most part Im able to find somthing that fits.
Old 14th January 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitt View Post
Joel Taylor, [email protected], great guy, can play all styles, sight reads, professional.
In the process of creating the site, but figured I would tip him off.
Los Angeles based.

+1 for Joel Taylor. Work with him real and online. Great sound, nice equipment, excellent timing.
Joel Taylor homepage
Joel Taylor on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Old 3rd June 2009
Gear Addict

I have recorded lots of drummers in my studio here in LA so I don't do the online thing but one of my favorite drummers to work with is Ryan Hoyle and he specializes in doing online sessions.

His timing is dead on and he's takes every session seriously. He has great gear and most importantly he has an excellent room to record in. Although I have a great space myself I sometimes record at Ryan's because his room has a unique sound. He also has some awesome drums which he tweaks to perfection. I highly recommend him for online work.

Ryan Hoyle : Drummer for Collective Soul, Paul Rodgers, LA Recording Sessions.

Last edited by NoizyNinja; 4th June 2009 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: spelling

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search