The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Saluda Cymbals? Anyone? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 28th March 2006
Lives for gear

Saluda Cymbals? Anyone?

Hi All!

Looking to purchase some new cymbals and these caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with Saluda Cymbals?

http://www.saludacymbals.com
Old 29th March 2006
Gear Addict

hi

my drummer has been looking at these. he normally uses a set of vintage zildgyns(**** i can't spell that), and he is looing at them and thinks they might be cool. the cool thing they will do for you is if you don't like the sound they will remachine and hamer them for you to help get the sound that you are after

cheers
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

Go to

http://www.ghostnote.net and poke around the forum. Lots of info.

you can also check out the drumshed forum

http://www.drumshed.org/
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!

I have a 15 year old who plays drums and he absolutely SLAMS! He's in to Hardcore music so he kills his cymbals! Being a studio guy I want to buy him some good cymbals because he will no doubt be recording soon. But, I can't see shelling out 200+ dollars a piece for Zildjian K's that he will be cracking in no time!
Old 7th October 2009
Gear Head

i realize the thread VERY old so it probably not relevant anymore, however, i thought i'd share my saluda experience for anyone who may be interested.

i own paiste signature crashes, zildjian k/z hats, as a bosphorus ride.

i traded in saluda a full set of a custom crashes a year ago. my saludas hold their own with any of these other quality cymbals.

i thought that might be helpful if any one was curious about saluda. (there really isn't a lot of info on them out there)
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I have been using saludas for the past few years, I really think they are great. Drummers I record always ask about them. It is nice they are inexpensive too!
Old 18th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

I've been telling myself for 5 years to go check them out, they are just up the road from me here in South Carolina.

War
Old 18th November 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I've been telling myself for 5 years to go check them out, they are just up the road from me here in South Carolina.

War
get-er done!
and report back, i have been thinking about snagging a ride? maybe some hats.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

my pair of mist x "dark" hats are awesome, they are the best sounding hats for rock stuff that has alot of open hat work I have been around.
Old 1st December 2010
Airwindows

I just ran into Saluda Nemesis hats in a local music store. It was a "BUY THIS RIGHT NOW" moment- even a 'take the things off the stand and walk around with them while you look at other stuff' moment.

You see, what I had (after trying a LOT of stuff) was a Zildjian Mastersound heavy bottom, and a lighter A Zildjian top, for getting a nice toppy 'chick' foot sound and getting some depth in the stick sound, especially when hitting on the edge. I want 'em to be able to go 'tick tick tick' very cleanly hit on the top, but also go 'chuf chuf chuf' on the edge more in the midrange. Once I heard some K hats, probably very light 13s, which did that incredibly, but they wouldn't do anything else.

The Saludas basically did everything. The foot sound was unreal! Almost Paistelike, super toppy. And going between side and top with the stick is insane, it's like the sounds are related instead of being distinct playing styles. Maybe I just got a good set?

I know they have unusually high conical bells, enough that I noticed the difference. I'm not sure what else is different. Bear in mind part of the reason I wanted these so badly (and got them so instantly) is, I need hats to cover a much wider range than just 'ts ts ts' way up top. My original Zildjian Mastersounds were much better at cutting and projecting and being really bright, but I kept swapping in lighter top cymbals to get a broader tone. Turns out Saludas instantly did exactly what I was looking for in the first place. Kind of like going to much older thinner Zildjians- but a lot clearer and projecting better.

I can get a similar 'whuf whuf whuf' edge sound out of really old thin Zildjians, like vintage ones before the days of rock, but the tip sound is really dull and the foot sound is super weak. Saludas, the tip sound has definition and the foot sound is ridiculously sizzly. I wonder what they do with the contour to do that?
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yea, I love my Saluda's too! I have 16 and 18" crashes and a 20 crash/ride. They were pretty cheap, i got to trade in my crappy b8's for a great price, and they sound awesome. They are the earthworks series and they look amazing with the lathed stripes. My 16 crash in particular sounds AMAZING. my favorite part of my whole set i think.

Check em out and talk to Jamie (he's in charge, really nice guy) about what you want.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search