The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jeff Lynne drum sound samples / loops etc Drum Replacement Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Jeff Lynne drum sound samples / loops etc

Greetings all..

Hello,

This is my first post!

Ive been reading the forums for months now mainly for views on computer technology equipment as I'm setting up my first home studio (at the age of 43!). I must say it's a mine of information and there are A LOT of very informative and skilled people on here.

This particular question relates to a specific drum sound.

I'm not a drummer (i'm a guitarist and average keyboard player) and have bought Jamstix 3 as a software drummer which I have to say I really like due to it's natural sounds and built in 'intelligent' drummer that even takes into account the mechanics of the human arm! Get that!!

Anyway, to get me going, I'm specifically looking for drum sounds that Jeff Lynne uses. Very heavy snare (compressed / gated / double tracked and through a 1176 compressor so I've been told - and probably even more of a conveluted formula than that), 'airy' trebbly hi hats and so forth.

Ideally I would find a way of re-creating (why I hear you ask ;-)) this myself but with everything else I need to get my head around, i wanted something very quick. I'm using Reaper as a DAW. I just wondered if anyone knows of any drum loops / wav files that are Jeff Lynne loops? His drums are never complicated and it's more about the sound than the complexity of the beat. I'm thinking more modern recent stuff like he's used on Tom Petty, Julianna Rae, The Beatles Anthology, Rossif Sutherland).

I know there are a few threads on here about how some ppl hate that sound and some ppl love it. Both very understandable opinions as it's such a distinctive sound. Some have said he uses an MPC 60 drum machine but I very much doubt that. Especially as his interviews suggest he left 'being a typist' behind in the 80's when he ended the first version of ELO.

I kind of grew up with ELO and it's only in the last few years I've ventured outside of that genre. But now I'm loving The Black Keys, Bon Iver, James Blake, The Villagers and all sorts of other stuff. I must be having a mid-life!!

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated and it's good to join you..

Cheers

Tim
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search