The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPD-s vs SPD-30 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

SPD-s vs SPD-30

Hello all,

I'm
Considering buying a SPD-s sampling pad but I have a few questions. I'm still in disbelief that you cannot upload your own samples to the SPD-30 octopad.

I'll primarily be using this to supplement a live drum
Kit, usig it for texture, cool loops and what not.

My question is, is this sampling pad still
Worth the money? I hear it can be a tedious process making a
Loop on the actual pad to have played back.

On the other hand, I dont want to be stuck with the monotony of the SPD-30 and not being able to use my own sounds.

Just wondering what you guys' current thoughts on this are.

Also if I get two 512mb memory cards, will this extend my live sound ability?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi

You cannot upload samples to spd-30. Of course you can control a external desktop sampler like Korg es-1 or esx-1, Roland sp-404 or even a computer via midi. But then you have all the cables and hassle.
Spd-30 has pads w/ better feel and playablility. A friend of mine complains about the unresponsiveness of the spd-s's pads, but he's using it as a main kit. For you it would suffice since your're only trigging one-shot samples and stuff. Also check out the new spd-sx, though. Check michael shack's sick vids on youtube!
The new -sx has a editing software (windows only?) which seems to make it easier to handle your sounds but the pad is $1200! Pick up a used spd-s instead.
The sounds of the spd-30 are good and the phrase loop function is a cool feature. Not perfect (hard to sync metronome to running live music) but allows instant creativity. Check a good introducion: SPD-30 Phrase Loop - YouTube

On the yamaha dtx-multi 12 you can't sample but you can load your own sounds. Maybe its for you. Personally I don't like the small window and the (mushy) feel of the pads.
Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search