The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend Snare for Hard Rock Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Recommend Snare for Hard Rock

Whats a good snare for Hard Rock thats around $350 ?

I played a Ludwig Black Magic 8 x 14 in a store and it sounded great . I'm leaning towards getting it but is there another snare , used or new , around $350 thats really good ?

I like the deep phat hard rock snare sound ,
Old 5th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

For metal shell snares, the usual recommendation from this forum is a Ludwig Supraphonic, aka the LM402. New they're not much more than your $350 budget. You can find them on craigslist or ebay pretty easily for right around $350... less if you find an older one with chrome pitting and the look doesn't bother you.

It's been echoed many, many times here and all over the 'net: the Supra is the quintessential Rock snare drum.

The Black Magic snares are getting a good rep as well. You already like how it sounds, so if the Supra doesn't work out just get a BM. They're pretty similar.

Another option for around $100 less than the Supra (and new) is a WorldMax BlackHawg. Unlike the Supraphonic, the BlackHawg has a brass shell that sounds a little warmer with more overtones and ringing. WorldMax snares

For the money I don't think there's a better sounding, more versatile Rock snare than the Supraphonic. I'd like to try a few others (Mapex, Sonor, etc.) but there's really no need.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
For metal shell snares, the usual recommendation from this forum is a Ludwig Supraphonic, aka the LM402. New they're not much more than your $350 budget. You can find them on craigslist or ebay pretty easily for right around $350... less if you find an older one with chrome pitting and the look doesn't bother you.

It's been echoed many, many times here and all over the 'net: the Supra is the quintessential Rock snare drum.

The Black Magic snares are getting a good rep as well. You already like how it sounds, so if the Supra doesn't work out just get a BM. They're pretty similar.

Another option for around $100 less than the Supra (and new) is a WorldMax BlackHawg. Unlike the Supraphonic, the BlackHawg has a brass shell that sounds a little warmer with more overtones and ringing. WorldMax snares

For the money I don't think there's a better sounding, more versatile Rock snare than the Supraphonic. I'd like to try a few others (Mapex, Sonor, etc.) but there's really no need.
Yeah I was checking out the Supraphonic LM402 . Wheres the best place to find them used ?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Supraphonics come with aluminum and brass shells. Check out the differences before ordering one.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

For $380 you can get the Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer. It's a 14x6.5 hammered brass shell that you can tune low to get the hard thwack you're looking for.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a bunch (including 3 Ludwig snares), but my favorite for harder stuff is one of these.

Ocheltree Heavy Metals Carbon Steel Snare Drum: Shop Drums & Percussion & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

U-Drum often has deals on some stuff. Shoot Paul an E-mail and tell him what you're looking for. He has a Black Beauty-esk snare that ranges from $350-$400. It's an excellent rocking snare drum!
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have the Sonor Phil Rudd snare, brass 5x14. Very nice and $400.
Old 16th September 2011
The Ludwig Black Beauty and Supraphonic are both excellent choices.

The Tama Bell Brass will split some eardrums.

The snare that's blown me away most recently is the Ayotte Keplinger Steel snare; they're expensive and hard to find but they sound huge. Like insanely, irresponsibly huge.
Old 16th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
I have the Sonor Phil Rudd snare, brass 5x14. Very nice and $400.
I couldn't agree more! This snare has amazed me in a home studio on many levels. It has a very meaty rim shot and the most sensitive out of 9 snare drums.
Old 17th September 2017
Gear Addict

The black magic snare is a great choice. I would also look at the 6.5x14 model. Its basically a cheaper black beauty that sounds really close but not quite as sturdy. World max and Pork Pie BOB are also close alternatives. If you like aluminum over brass I would look at a 6.5x14 Acrolite.
Old 17th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Maybe check out a used Pearl Steve Ferrone signature. Its a black beauty emu, and it is great for rock stuff.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search