The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!

I need your HELP gearslutz Drummers! I got a Yamaha Oak Custom kit in Blue Sparkle and the Floor Tom legs aren't the right ones for one of the floor toms. I need a good picture of the floor tom legs that came with your kit, so I can prove to the salesman that he needs to order me the correct ones for the kit! They ordered the wrong ones, or Yamaha sent the wrong ones. Either way, someone screwed up. I have pictures, could you please take a pic of your floor tom leg, or tell me which one is the correct one. Thanks. I am leaning to the bigger support that is more round, with the softer rubber, slotted top. pic 1-3, 6 is, I believe the correct leg. pics 4,5 is the other leg. You can clearly see in the pic where I put the legs together. The bigger rubber end is softer, and definitely sounds better on the floor tom than the harder, smaller, suspect rubber leg. Also, the smaller leg is about 3 inches longer in length. Thanks guys, I know I can count on your help. I have searched the internet and I can't even find a good photo for these floor toms legs. Here's the link for some pics of the kit. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/drums...ga-elites.html
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!-dscf2988.jpg   Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!-dscf2981.jpg   Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!-dscf2984.jpg   Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!-y-leg-2.jpg   Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!-yamaha-leg-2.jpg  

Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!-yamaha-leg-1.jpg   Yamaha Oak Custom - Wrong Floor Toms Legs HELP Gearslutz!!!-yam-legs-1-2.jpg  
Old 4th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

I know that my Oak kit's floor tom legs don't all match, but I got it secondhand and the seller didn't have all the original legs, which was somewhat mysterious, but whatever. I'll have to look again at what they are, but like you I doubt that the correct legs are pics 4 and 5. They seem inconsistent with the higher quality stuff I expect from Yamaha, but who knows.

Both the floor toms sound great to me with whatever legs they've got. I've been curious about chambered floor tom feet as well. Might get the Pearl one's unless I really don't hear a difference.

If I can borrow a camera (mine was stolen) I'll take pics, although it may not help since I don't know which legs are correct, either. I wouldn't be able to get the pics in this thread until Tuesday, though. Or if I remember to bring both types of floor tom legs to the drum shop this coming week (need to stock up on sticks and heads for a gig), I can compare them to the Oak Custom kit that was on the floor the last time I was there (assuming it still is).

Any way you can find another Oak Custom at another drum shop and check the legs? I'll guess you've already thought of that, but it's worth asking.

Hopefully another Oak C. owner can chime in with pics (try James Lugo) and help resolve your problem.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitfiddle View Post
I need a good picture of the floor tom legs that came with your kit, so I can prove to the salesman that he needs to order me the correct ones for the kit!
the fact that you have two different kinds of legs is all the "proof" a reasonable person would need. No drum company makes "front" and "back" legs for its floor toms.

It seems as if you just bought an entire new drumset from the guy, yes? How much have you just spent there? And they are giving you a hard time about the tom legs?

demand that he order 3 NEW legs specific to that kit and he can have the 3 they gave you back.

Its ridiculous that you are put into the position of needing to gather photographs...
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. Yeah, the problem is that when they contacted yamaha, the person they got on the phone sent out these smaller, harder rubber legs and I have a good feeling they are the wrong legs. In fact, the legs looked like the ones on the rock custom series floor toms. They are different than the oak floor tom legs. Pretty bad when yamaha is wrong. Anyway, the problem will be rectified once we find out which legs go with this kit. I can't find a store with this kit anywhere in my area to see the legs for myself in person. This particular store I purchased the kit from was missing the legs on one of the floor toms. They don't know what happened to them. Either theft, or they sold them because they were missing legs from another kit. It's a shame that they had to take them from this kit. I can't complain because I got a great deal on the kit to start with, however I want the correct legs and they are willing to order them as soon as I find out what legs go with this floor tom.
Old 4th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

Ah, I see. They're not saying the burden of proof is your's, it's just that no one in the loop knows what legs belong with your kit. Tough one! I'll see what I can do this week.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the help. That would be great. I would like to go back to the store with confidence knowing I am right about the legs. I still can't believe I cannot find a good pic anywhere online.
Old 8th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

Ok, I was at GC today picking up sticks/heads and checked out the legs on the Oak Custom floor tom they had out with the kit. They look exactly like pics 1-3 and exactly like the (correct) ones on my floor toms: a bigger, softer rubber toe with a hole in the bottom to decouple them from the floor.

BTW, I thought the Remo Amb snare side "Hazy" meant there would be a light coating on the head? It's clear, not what I was expecting. Ah, well.

For ****s and giggles, I'm probably going to seek out the proper legs for my FT's even though they already sound great. The knit-picker part of me can't deal with not having the correct parts! Hopefully I won't have the same experience you had.

I didn't have a camera but I hope this helps.
Old 8th September 2011

Here you can find detailed information.
OAK CUSTOM | Yamaha Drums
Old 8th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

muziekschuur, I know your intentions are good but not one of those pics or the brochure thing shows the floor tom legs and feet. There's one I guess, but it's too far away.

I went to the Yamaha site and was able to find a very high res photo of the kit. It's like they aimed the Hubble at it. I tried zooming in very close and was able to get this screenshot:

Guitfiddle, the feet you think are correct, are correct. Please don't use that for a sig line. lol
Old 8th September 2011
I'm happy you found what you were looking for. I used to play in a band and the Yammie Oak was his first real kit. And it blew me away. I only remember those rectangular feet underneath those stands. So sorry I was completely wrong. I'm glad you saw that and found a better image yourself. I allways found the Yamaha website to be very detailed.

I was allways completely impressed with the quality of the chrome.

I do hope you will find the right feet. I currently own a Tama. Though I am not a drummer. But one day I'll own a Oak custom just like you guys. It is the most amazing drumset I have ever heard.
Old 8th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

I didn't intend to be blunt. Sorry if it came off that way. I meant to clarify.
Old 8th September 2011
No probs Jax. I'm happy you got such an amazing kit.

What are the cymbal choices you made?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I went to the Yamaha site and was able to find a very high res photo of the kit. It's like they aimed the Hubble at it. I tried zooming in very close and was able to get this screenshot:
If you look closely in the swirls of the Oak, you can see the Crab Nebula
Old 9th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
No probs Jax. I'm happy you got such an amazing kit.

What are the cymbal choices you made?
Cymbals? Oh, I've been at it too long. Too many, and a lot of them don't see kit time. It's almost a waste, but there are only a few I'd give up. I keep imagining the types of songs they will work in, and there are a few tunes by a few bands I'm in that call for particular sounds that I'm lucky enough to have in my arsenal and have the imagination to know how they'd work in that music. There will be a time for all of them, I think.

A good new thread might be "Show Us Your Cymbals." In fact, I think I'll start one now. I'm dying to see toolskid's list! Thanks for the idea.
Old 9th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
If you look closely in the swirls of the Oak, you can see the Crab Nebula
LoL. Oak looks rather droll by itself but it takes a nice stain well. The red kit is a looker.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for the help...Looks like I was right about the legs. Cymbals, Shimbals! I am finishing my Paiste Signature line setup with a couple of fast crashes, and looking to Sabian for the ride and a few more crashes.
This drum equipment is piling up around here, whew! Made the mistake of trying out a new maple snare that I just fell in love with, ugh, impulse buy alert was going off, and being the slut I am, still walked out of the store with it!!!!! I'm just glad that I can share my drumming love with two different studios in my area and a rehearsal space, or I wouldn't even have room for all this drum equipment....hehe. I am loving on my GMS fusion kit again, yummm. We were having fun last week with some motown songs. I love playing that stuff, it just feels so good, so right!
Thanks again guys, for your help(slutyness)...What would I do without the Gearslutz community? I would hang my head feeling lost, still searching for that hope someday that I would find a site that wets my appetite, and leaves me begging for more gear, as I go spend my life's savings in one minute! Thanks guys for making me broke! JK...heh
Old 10th September 2011

Pics ain't so hot but here are mine:

Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yesirreee!!!! I was right...Those are the ones for the kit! Thanks again guys for your help, our work is done here. James confirmed with a nice blurry top view. JK...James, thanks a million, bud! Gearslutz beats the haterz to a pulp once again, with our quick to action analysis of remedying a serious blow to stupidity or just plain lazyness on the part of the industry that needs a good slap in the face sometimes! If it was an honest mistake on someones part or not, I still forgive you! Due to the nature of that last sentence, I will not release names or point fingers unless provoked in anyway...JK...It's taken care of. heh
Feeling free tonight and high on music with some good news. Thanks for helping a fellow Gearslutzer out! I knew I could depend on you! Ok, back to my regular scheduled programming... YEEE HAWWW and ROCK'N'ROLL TOO! (Sent pm James, thanks bud), Are you going to replace that Yamaha Oak Custom kit with something else, or are you going VI drums?) Jax - Are you selling your Oak Custom too?
Old 10th September 2011

No I'm keeping them. I have a big drum room in my new place.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing like a big drum room and an SSL4K...Thanks again for the pic, that really helps out!
Old 10th September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitfiddle View Post
Jax - Are you selling your Oak Custom too?
Probably not in the near future but somewhere down the line I can see it happening. Maybe not though. There are a lot of head combinations I'd like to try and the kit could really be killer with the right heads.

How's that for an impartial answer? heh

I think I'm getting an 80's Tama Superstar tomorrow for cheap! Power toms n' everything.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a buddy that has a Tama Grandstar II, not sure what year he bought it used. Really nice sounding kit...friggin huge power toms! I am playing the skin game as well, I have Aquarian studio X on my oaks right now. They sound pretty good, but I'm sure I can find something I like a little better, this is the perfect live giggin kit for me. I had emporer's on it when I purchased it, but they were kind of used and needed replacing. So I never really got to hear them in their glory. I am replacing my reso's with Evans ec reso's and thinking about just going with the Evans G2 because I have a new set of them sitting around. I also have ambassador's, but I am putting them on my birch kit. I was thinking remo pinstripe on the oaks?

Quote:
JAX - Ok, I was at GC today picking up sticks/heads and checked out the legs on the Oak Custom floor tom they had out with the kit. They look exactly like pics 1-3 and exactly like the (correct) ones on my floor toms: a bigger, softer rubber toe with a hole in the bottom to decouple them from the floor.

Thanks Jax.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search