The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What kind of shoes do you play drums with? Condenser Microphones
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

What kind of shoes do you play drums with?

Please share your experiences! I've been wearing the traditional Chuck Taylor's since 1994. Dig them because of the thin soles. What's your preference, and why?
Old 20th August 2011
Gear Guru

These days, whatever shoes I have on my feet when I sit down at the kit.

I once used to Think About Shoes in relation to the pedals, and experiment with different shoes - generally the lighter the better and usually looking for very smooth 'slippery' soles.

I even considered buying this brand of 'drumming shoes' I saw advertised in Modern Drummer Magazine, which were super light - similar to Table Tennis shoes - i.e. just about "rubber socks".

Then one day I went to see Tony Williams perform. Up until that show I had only heard him on records, and I had assumed he played double-kick.

But no, he did everything on the record (and MORE!) with one bass drum. The whole time, he was wearing lace-up paratrooper boots. Not only big and heavy with grippy soles, but obviously rigid with less flexibility in the ankles than anything on the market. But his kick was AMAZING!

That left me dazed and confused on the "Performance Shoes" front. I guess I ultimately decided that shoes don't count for much unless you are walking in them.
Old 21st August 2011
i don't where 1 shoe in particular but i dig thin soles something not to gripy so i can slide or twist my foot. No pointy toes and no heel. And something that i can lace up nice and tight so my foot and shoe feel as one heh.

I had a dw 9000 pedal once and the toe part of my shoe use to get stuck between the posts on the pedal it's thinner there than any of their other pedals for some reason.

At the moment I'm using these
their van era's with thin line soles

These are also pretty sweet:

good ankle support their the kinda shoe that makes you can play loud and probably the most durable shoes i've bought in ages I had for three years and thier in excellent condition.
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

A certain amount of finding the "right" shoe depends upon your technique.

In my "lick box" I have what might be called a "triplet bounce roll" which requires a somewhat slippery sole.

But I'm also 62 years old, so just plain old comfort is also a part of the equation...
Old 21st August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdenton View Post
A certain amount of finding the "right" shoe depends upon your technique.

In my "lick box" I have what might be called a "triplet bounce roll" which requires a somewhat slippery sole.

But I'm also 62 years old, so just plain old comfort is also a part of the equation...
that said i do go for a heal if it's jazz and the heel's down. But i find it un comfortable for heel toe technique. There's not any tech where i'd want grip mind
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

Socks or bare feet (though the Axis logo on my pedal bugs me barefoot.. it's kind of sharp).
Old 21st August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Socks or bare feet (though the Axis logo on my pedal bugs me barefoot.. it's kind of sharp).
and that's how biggator6 got this strange scar on the bottom of his foot
Attached Images
What kind of shoes do you play drums with?-sixa.jpg 
Old 21st August 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

Tony Williams might've been playing with heavy boots on because they gave him extra support and more spring. Or it might never have crossed his mind, although I doubt that's the case. Given how precise and technical his drumming was, it seems reasonable that his lifestyle of eating, sleeping and ****ting drums might've affected everything including what worked best for drumming footwear. Or I could be completely wrong. Would love to find an interview that sheds light on the subject.

Me? A pair of slippers, no laces, very flexible, thin sole, no heel. I also get a lot from playing barefoot, but haven't for awhile. Barefoot gives instant feedback. I'll probably go back to it soon.
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

I like a grippy sole. So I tend to wear my standard Converse Chuck Taylors. I play barefoot sometimes, but never in socks.
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
and that's how biggator6 got this strange scar on the bottom of his foot
If I could play faster - it would be all stretched out vertically
"-)
Old 21st August 2011
Gear Maniac

+1 on Chuck Taylors. Or anything light with thin soles like chucks would be fine.
Old 22nd August 2011
Gear Nut

Regular Chuck Taylors work for me too, but my pair of the newer style "super thin sole" Chuck Tayors are really uncomfortable.
Old 22nd August 2011
Gear interested

Either barefoot or my Etnies.
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

I was playing drums with shoes, but stopped when I realized that open rolls didn't sound very good.

I've since switched to sticks, and that has made all of the difference!
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Chuck Taylors.
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear addict

I do something a little different, which makes the shoes matter a little more. I practice with this big heavy pair of suede Simples. Then for the last couple of rehearsals before and the gig I go back to my trusty Chuck Taylors. Sort of the same theory as practicing with heavier sticks than what you do for normal playing, but it's always such a relief to be back in the Chucks.

In anticipation of the next question, boxer briefs...just enough dangle, just enough support.
Old 23rd August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
it's a double edged sword it always makes holes in my socks I go sockless when i can't be bothered to shoe up but that's only when practicing.
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Addict

I used to play with just socks on because I like a little extra control from the big toe, but found that it was a pain at gigs to be putting my shoes on and off. These days, I just use whatever is on my feet and surprisingly the drum sounds exactly the same!
Old 23rd August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamelan View Post
I used to play with just socks on because I like a little extra control from the big toe, but found that it was a pain at gigs to be putting my shoes on and off. These days, I just use whatever is on my feet and surprisingly the drum sounds exactly the same!
heh
Old 28th August 2011
Gear nut

No shoes! Socks or barefoot. It helps smooth out my dynamics on my kick drum just enough to call it a significant amount worthy of an action required which resulted in me never wearing shoes while I play my drums! Socks seem to be the best, little more comfortable and it's easier to control my foot when I slide it on the pedal.
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjTminds View Post
It helps smooth out my dynamics on my kick drum just enough to call it a significant amount worthy of an action required which resulted in me never wearing shoes while I play my drums!
and the James Joyce Sentence of The Week Award goes to....
Old 28th August 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

I don't know, sounds a little like legalese. heh
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Addict

Pumas in the summer, boots in the winter.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear nut

I greatly prefer being barefoot.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Goddammit, where's that picture of Sheila E tearing up the double kick drums while wearing 6" stilleto heeled pumps?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Goddammit, where's that picture of Sheila E tearing up the double kick drums while wearing 6" stilleto heeled pumps?
just because you asked for it, Bob
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of shoes do you play drums with?-heels.jpg  
Old 1st September 2011
Jax
Lives for gear

H. crap!!!
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

imagine how fast she could be if she put on some Vans
Old 5th September 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
H. crap!!!
ditto!

dose anyone other than me remove their shoes?
i am a boot guy, but i find them to clumsy for playing drums so i kick-em off and go with out.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear maniac

Bare feet!

But if it's cold, I like vintage Skellerup Squash shoes. They're kinda like classic Keds, but with heavier duty canvas, more comfortable, and a slightly thicker sole I think...

I don't think I've ever been fullied convinced it makes much difference though, it's just what I feel most comfortable in. I can still play with no issues whatsoever when I'm wearing 14 hole Doc Martin's or Army Jungle Boots... I just prefer not to.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search