The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Paiste 101 Hi Hats? I know, I know...
Old 12th April 2011
Paiste 101 Hi Hats? I know, I know...

Okay, I'm currently in the process of finally putting together a good set of cymbals, so am trying out many different brands, etc, etc.

A friend gave me a set of Paiste 101 hi hats he wasn't using to try... Knowing that these are an entry level cymbal and not being a fan of Pasite I was not expecting much, but, and this is the awkward part, I think I like really them.

Now, I think I could (and will eventually) do much better, for I'm actually very pleasantly surprised by these hats so far.. A nice controllable "chick" not too loud, very responsive, even when open, can produce a wide variety of sounds, what's not to like?

So, having being intrigued by these entry level cymbals, I hunted down a 101 crash and it was.. Horrible. Found a 101 ride. It too, was horrible! But these hi hats are something special man, I'm telling you!

So, I did some research, and it turns out that these hi hats are "blue labels", made between 1974 and 79. My question to you is, is there anything special about these 101's? Are they different to the later "non blue labels"? Has anyone else had success with them and felt the subsequent shame and embarrassment? For now they are serving me very nicely and fit in well with Zildjian A's and Pasite 2000's.

(And for the record, I am not trolling)
Old 13th April 2011
Bump? C'mon, I know you're out there..
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Blue Label 101's were made with a nickel/silver alloy unlike the cheap brass crap that bears the name now. They were still cheap crap back then, but it's not hard to sound better than the modern versions.
Old 14th April 2011
Oh cheers! heh Makes sense now, I thought something like that must have happened over the years... Makes me wonder how they can even keep calling them the same name after such a recipe change. I mean, the blue label 101's are hardly the same as the later ones are they? Thanks!
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for gear

It's not the first time Paiste have abandoned a brand only to re-launch it later. It was their cheap line, so I guess nobody really gave it a second thought.
Old 14th April 2011
Lives for snowflakes

Hell, if ya like 'em, use em!

One of my favorite drummers found two "no-name" crash cymbals at the Salvation Army store (no ****), and they sounded GREAT with what he was doin' at the time.

(If you DO decide to use 'em, we all promise not to tell .)
Old 16th April 2011
Hahah thanks for not telling. heh Yeah, well, I like 'em good enough so far, hHaven't done any gigs with them though. I feel a bit better about choosing to use them now.
Old 11th December 2015
Here for the gear
some good some bad

I had a 16" blue label 101 back in the early 90's - I was mesmerised by the sound. It was amazing, the tone and shimmer...
I remember sitting listening to it over and over - something that rarely happens with cheaper cymbals.... it made me smile

After a nostalgia attack- I bought an 18" crash ride and when it arrived it sounded awful...

Have just won a bid on the blue label 101 14" hats and I have my fingers crossed.

I'm intrigued with cymbal blending and there's an old 14" 404 bottom hat that's included in the lot. Will post some raw audio clips when I eventually get my drum room up and running (Need to move house first)
Old 12th January 2016
Gear Head

Some of the old "budget" Paistes can be amazing! I just bought a pair of Dixie hi-hats which are wonderful if you're going for that old-school lo-fi sound. Also 505's can be really nice.
Old 15th January 2016
Gear Nut
Agreed there are some really nice cheap Paistes out there.
404/505/OLD 101's, some 802's.. 1000/2000 series can be had for cheap as well.
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobiwan View Post
I had a 16" blue label 101 back in the early 90's - I was mesmerised by the sound. It was amazing, the tone and shimmer...
I remember sitting listening to it over and over - something that rarely happens with cheaper cymbals.... it made me smile

After a nostalgia attack- I bought an 18" crash ride and when it arrived it sounded awful...

Have just won a bid on the blue label 101 14" hats and I have my fingers crossed.

I'm intrigued with cymbal blending and there's an old 14" 404 bottom hat that's included in the lot. Will post some raw audio clips when I eventually get my drum room up and running (Need to move house first)
So...what do they sound like?!
You’ve had long enough??
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear