The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drums vs Logitech z-5500
Old 3rd January 2011
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Question Drums vs Logitech z-5500

Hello !!

If we connect a full mic'ed acoustic drum set to a Logitech Z-5500 , will it damage the system?

You can see the system's specifications by pressing specifications in the provided link.

Thank you :D

P.S.
I apologize if i opened the thread in wrong sub-forum , i wasn't sure where to post.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #2
Gear Guru
 

This looks like a satellite computer speaker setup.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question, but you are intending to use these as a PA for your drumset?

For a live show?

This system seems to be designed for playing computer games and watching DVDs.

I seriously doubt if this system has the capability to even be heard over the acoustic volume of a live drum set, much less provide meaningful reinforcement. It's a toy.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Oh sorry , forgot to mention.
Not for "live" use , just home use.

Small room. I have this sytem for my PC , which is in the same room with the drums , messing with the idea of what would happen if we connect this sytem to the set.

Regarding the power , both drum's and system's are close to each other , with the system being a little louder , due to the fact it is connected with optical cable and some songs run at 320 kbps. Maximum performance.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rhythmic View Post
Oh sorry , forgot to mention.
Not for "live" use , just home use.

Small room. I have this sytem for my PC , which is in the same room with the drums , messing with the idea of what would happen if we connect this sytem to the set.

Regarding the power , both drum's and system's are close to each other , with the system being a little louder , due to the fact it is connected with optical cable and some songs run at 320 kbps. Maximum performance.
please explain that last paragraph... por favor.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Nevermind the "paragraph" , back in the topic.

Connecting drums to this system , will it cause damage to the speakers , since the system is designed for other purpose?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #6
Old 3rd January 2011
  #7
Gear Addict
 
StratSvante's Avatar
 

First of all, why, to get the drums louder or what?

Secondly, if you have a fully miced drumset, and you have the system in the same room as you are playing, and the system is louder than the drums, you will have alot of feedback!

Thirdly, bitrate, like 320 kbps has nothing to do with volume and cannot be more or less harmful to the speakers. And 320 kbps mp3 is not maximum preformence!

Fourthly, No, in theory, playing your drums through the system will not harm it more than normal music playing, except for the volume your putting through it.

Fithly, Don't do it! Sounds extremely stupid!

Now I've been nice, yay me!
Old 3rd January 2011
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
First of all, why, to get the drums louder or what?

Secondly, if you have a fully miced drumset, and you have the system in the same room as you are playing, and the system is louder than the drums, you will have alot of feedback!

Thirdly, bitrate, like 320 kbps has nothing to do with volume and cannot be more or less harmful to the speakers. And 320 kbps mp3 is not maximum preformence!

Fourthly, No, in theory, playing your drums through the system will not harm it more than normal music playing, except for the volume your putting through it.

Fithly, Don't do it! Sounds extremely stupid!

Now I've been nice, yay me!
Finally , thats what i was asking.
You guys must have misunderstood my point. I don't want to use it for any purpose. I was just curious of the (psyshics) of this.

I've read somewhere else , a guitarist who was trying to connect to his PC speakers , and someone telling him "Don't do it you will burn the speakers".
And there came up with the idea of this.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
PhilR's Avatar
 

You're not making any sense at all. Speakers produce sound, microphones pick up sound. In between you need the necessary hardware to channel the signal from the microphone to the speaker. So what do you mean when you say "connect to your speakers"?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #10
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rhythmic View Post
Finally , thats what i was asking.
You guys must have misunderstood my point. I don't want to use it for any purpose. I was just curious of the (psyshics) of this.

I've read somewhere else , a guitarist who was trying to connect to his PC speakers , and someone telling him "Don't do it you will burn the speakers".
And there came up with the idea of this.
in general, "stereo" type speakers are designed to play a complete song, which is usually leveled out, limited, and has its sonic energy distributed over the entire frequency range.

"musical instrument" speakers are designed to amplify one or two instruments at high volumes with occasionally even higher peaks. The full amount of power can be concentrated on reproducing one note. It's a different kind of strain.

In my youth, I blew up more than one stereo speaker trying to use it as a guitar amp or whatever.

So your guitarist's friend may have a point. However this Logitec system you linked to IS a "PC speaker", no different from the kind he was warning about. It is NOT a Musical Instrument speaker.

It is also possible that you won't blow it up, because such systems have a built in amp, often matched to the speakers. This amp may be designed to be incapable of actually blowing up the speakers.

None of this takes away from the fact that the system itself is a cheap toy computer speaker satellite garbage ten inch woofer $199 piece of crap.

It is comically inadequate for 'micing up a drum set' in ANY room for ANY purpose.

It is so far from being capable of doing this, that many people responding to your thread are having difficulty even understanding what you proposing. They think they are missing something!
Old 4th January 2011
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
in general, "stereo" type speakers are designed to play a complete song, which is usually leveled out, limited, and has its sonic energy distributed over the entire frequency range.

"musical instrument" speakers are designed to amplify one or two instruments at high volumes with occasionally even higher peaks. The full amount of power can be concentrated on reproducing one note. It's a different kind of strain.

In my youth, I blew up more than one stereo speaker trying to use it as a guitar amp or whatever.

So your guitarist's friend may have a point. However this Logitec system you linked to IS a "PC speaker", no different from the kind he was warning about. It is NOT a Musical Instrument speaker.

It is also possible that you won't blow it up, because such systems have a built in amp, often matched to the speakers. This amp may be designed to be incapable of actually blowing up the speakers.

None of this takes away from the fact that the system itself is a cheap toy computer speaker satellite garbage ten inch woofer $199 piece of crap.

It is comically inadequate for 'micing up a drum set' in ANY room for ANY purpose.

It is so far from being capable of doing this, that many people responding to your thread are having difficulty even understanding what you proposing. They think they are missing something!
First thank you for your answer , it was plain and simple , exactly as it should be.

Now look , i'm not a Sound Engineer , i study Political Sciences and History , so my knowledge on your "field" is more than limited.
That means that my questions look so "noobish" and "unreal" for you , since you have deeper knowledge and have different perspective on the subject.

Still i believe my question was simple as a child asking his father "Dad , will i die if i put my head underwater for 1 hour" The answer is as simple as Yes or No.

That being said , i believe my question would be answered just by a "Yes it will damage the speaker" or "No , it will not damage the speaker".
But instead some went like "Why would you do that" , "Do you want it for live" and took my question from a pure Theoretical point of view to a Practical point of view.

Maybe its my fault that i did not mention my knowledge level on the subject.

As for the system now , you called it a crap. Compared to studio quality monitors , yes it is crap but for having not a single bad review on the market and from personal experience , i think its a hell great of crap for its category :D
Old 4th January 2011
  #12
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rhythmic View Post
As for the system now , you called it a crap. Compared to studio quality monitors , yes it is crap

it's crap for the purpose of sound reinforcement

compared to some studio monitors it's probably not so bad

I would not use any stereo speaker or studio monitor for a live sound application. Quality is not the only issue, there is an 'industrial strength' aspect to the suggested use.

Your question is akin to asking, will I ruin my car if I transport a cow in the back seat? The issue is not the quality of the car. It doesn't matter if you are talking about the back seat of a Toyota or the back seat of a Rolls-Royce. Livestock belongs in a truck. You may not 'destroy' your car, but you are certainly going to have a hell of time cleaning it.

You should certainly not be surprised when people say 'get a truck'.


Quote:
That being said , i believe my question would be answered just by a "Yes it will damage the speaker" or "No , it will not damage the speaker".
But instead some went like "Why would you do that" , "Do you want it for live" and took my question from a pure Theoretical point of view to a Practical point of view.
This site is more accustomed to helping people who want to get better at audio. Less accustomed to answering 'will I die if' questions, or helping some non-audio person settle a bet. As such, the replies that you got were far more detailed, and required more effort than answering the 'idle curiosity' question.

I think had we known that your question was purely theoretical and that you had no intention of actually micing up a drum kit, we probably would have skipped answering your thread altogether.


We get plenty of newbies here. Your knowledge level is not as much of an issue as the practical/theoretical confusion.
Old 4th January 2011
  #13
Jax
Lives for gear
 

There's a whole Monty Python aspect to this thread. Lovin' it!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jseelye02 / Music Computers
2
swayofpendulums / Low End Theory
3
LaserWolf / Geekslutz forum
6
PAGAN FIRE / Music Computers
3
Sticky Shed / Music Computers
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump