The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soft Snare Sound
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Soft Snare Sound

Hearing this snare sound more and more on a lot of indie stuff - does anyone know how it's achieved, I'm fairly ignorant of snare drum types, sticks etc. Is it a specific type of snare or is it all done after the fact with heavy processing

The kind of sound I'm talking about is like this on Belle and Sebastian's I Want The World to Stop, although this is an extreme version of that particular sound

I have the opportunity to really start experimenting with recording drums and this is one of the sounds that I'd love to be able to nail properly. Thanks!

YouTube - Belle & Sebastian - I Want The World To Stop
Old 20th December 2010
Not heavily processed.
Lower tuning, lot's of damping. Softer playing and no rim shots.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Smile

Thanks! That makes things a whole lot easier and much more enjoyable in experimenting department
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Not heavily processed.
Lower tuning, lot's of damping. Softer playing and no rim shots.

100% sure about that. Plus a drumskin with a mellow attack like a fyberskin or a coated emperor.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like a sample to me, though it might be enhanced by a real snare.

Also, I think that the backbeat is enhanced by handclap and tambourine samples in parts of the song.

To get into that direction with 'real' drums I would try the Ringo method of putting a tea towel on the snare for damping and treating it with compression and some EQ.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoghat View Post
Hearing this snare sound more and more on a lot of indie stuff - does anyone know how it's achieved, I'm fairly ignorant of snare drum types, sticks etc. Is it a specific type of snare or is it all done after the fact with heavy processing

The kind of sound I'm talking about is like this on Belle and Sebastian's I Want The World to Stop, although this is an extreme version of that particular sound

I have the opportunity to really start experimenting with recording drums and this is one of the sounds that I'd love to be able to nail properly. Thanks!

YouTube - Belle & Sebastian - I Want The World To Stop
I think a lot of it has to do with the way the drummer is playing. playing soft no rimshots like mentioned above. Sounds like lower pitch for tuning. Also sounds like a lot more of the bottom snare then the top snare. It could also be sampled as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search