The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wrapped Drums vs. Satin or Lacquered Drums-Sound Difference DAW Software
Old 28th October 2018
The difference is very subtle to the point of non-consideration based on the many other factors that make up the drum sound: The player, the tuning, heads, the room, mic setup and positioning, etc. By the time it's in the mix, the wrap will have no bearing on the sound....

I have a custom keller-shelled kit with the older VERY thin shells, which are wrapped, but the resonance thin shells like this provide still comes through very well. I am going to have them stripped and stained soon but doubt I will hear a difference. If I do, it will likely be imaginary.
Old 28th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
I have a custom keller-shelled kit with the older VERY thin shells, which are wrapped, but the resonance thin shells like this provide still comes through very well. I am going to have them stripped and stained soon but doubt I will hear a difference. If I do, it will likely be imaginary.
Even though you are probably right, it might be fun to try and do it as scientifically as possible. Set up a stand, mark the spot on the floor, set up a mic, photograph the position, write down the preamp knobs, use the same head and one of those tuning reference things. Record the before and after and see if there any tiny differences you can hear blind.
Old 28th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Even though you are probably right, it might be fun to try and do it as scientifically as possible. Set up a stand, mark the spot on the floor, set up a mic, photograph the position, write down the preamp knobs, use the same head and one of those tuning reference things. Record the before and after and see if there any tiny differences you can hear blind.
Good idea. I might try that. I'd likely use my XTC preamp and save the settings to a file with TotalMix to remove more areas of error.
Old 3rd December 2018
Here for the gear

Unwrapped drums AGE better and FEEL better!

Most, if not all, on this forum would probably agree that wood tends to outgas ("dry out") over the years, producing a more open sound (on a guitar, violin, wood drums, etc.). What surprises me is that no one seems to have mentioned that adding wrap or other thick surface covering (heavy paint, etc.) to drums REDUCES the amount of outgassing. It's just like the difference between violins and guitars with thin oil varnish finishes (usually only on the best instruments) and heavy clear acrylic finishes (usually on student instruments that will get banged up more). And believe me, I've played guitar for 60 years, violin and drums for over 50, professionally off and on over the years including Hollywood studio work, film work, etc. I've heard the difference between aged and non-aged, or thin vs. thick wood, many times. I still own some instruments from decades ago, and they sound better now, to me as I play. (Maybe, or maybe not, on a recording).

Also, as WAS mentioned a few years ago on this thread, that FEELING of an instrument is very, very important. I don't disagree that often it is very hard to hear the difference in these things in a recording, but man, you sure feel it when you are playing it, and THAT makes a big difference in how you play. Playing drums for jazz, fusion, ethnic and anything other than heavy rock — just feels better to me on resonant (read no or little wrap) drums. I've striped off the wrap on my six shell DW collectors kit, and like it more now.

All that said, if it sound good, it IS good, in the end. We are all pros, or close to it, and have learned to make good music no matter what. But on a desert island I'll take a resonate set of shells over the alternative — wrapped or not, as long as they SING!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search