The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite way to mount rack tom!
Old 11th November 2009
  #1
Gear Addict
 
RubixGroove's Avatar
 

Favorite way to mount rack tom!

Hey Slutz,

Just curious how you guys like to slap your tom on your rig.
I've been playing one up-one down for a while now and I recently
sold my basket I had the tom sitting in, so now I'm here!

I have it up there hanging from a rim mount right now, but I don't have
a crash on the left side of the kit, so the set-up is quite cumbersome.
I like to be able to break down my whole kit in LESS than two/three minutes,
and the current system seems to be more hassle than it's worth.

Just wondering how you guys prefer to keep that tom up, maybe someone
will share a really interesting method... of course, I don't see any being as good/better than the snare basket!


Thanks a ton!
Old 11th November 2009
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Snare stand. Either that or buy a kick with a mount attached to it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RubixGroove View Post
Hey Slutz,

Just curious how you guys like to slap your tom on your rig.
I've been playing one up-one down for a while now and I recently
sold my basket I had the tom sitting in, so now I'm here!

I have it up there hanging from a rim mount right now, but I don't have
a crash on the left side of the kit, so the set-up is quite cumbersome.
I like to be able to break down my whole kit in LESS than two/three minutes,
and the current system seems to be more hassle than it's worth.

Just wondering how you guys prefer to keep that tom up, maybe someone
will share a really interesting method... of course, I don't see any being as good/better than the snare basket!


Thanks a ton!
Old 11th November 2009
  #3
Gear Guru
 

two of my kits have the tom mount on the kick
one has a separate basket

the only thing left as far as I can see is one of those tubular racks - not for me..tutt.

Once, when I forgot some hardware at home I clamped the RIMS mount to a cymbal stand, but it was very tippy and put the cymbal in an awkward spot- I wouldn't do it on purpose.
Old 11th November 2009
  #4
Jax
Lives for gear
 

I prefer having someone hold the tom while I play.
Old 11th November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 

I like RIMS mounts because I can put the same kind of bracket on all of my toms and use the same hardware with any of my kits without drilling any extra holes in them. I was never a fan of putting a rack tom on a snare drum stand. It chokes the sound of the drum WAY too much for my tates.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 11th November 2009
  #6
Gear Nut
 

Personally, I hate RIMS mounts because of how I am forced to position the cymbal stand it is attached to. Snare stand not cranked down-maybe even use some tubing to wrap the metal bars- and off you go.
Old 11th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 

That's what boom arms are for.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 12th November 2009
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges View Post
That's what boom arms are for.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
True. My issue is I like to have the tom toward the center of the kick (I can do this with a DW 9000 snare stand) and my crash to the left of my hats. That means I either have to have the crash angled way over with the boom arm swung way out (thus throwing the weight off a bit) or I have to move the rack tom.

I know some people love their RIMS mount, but like I said, I'd rather use a snare stand and not crank it down. To each their own.
Old 12th November 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Sure, but that's got nothing to do with a RIMS mount. That's got more to do with just having the tom come off of a cymbal stand. I do see your point. It seems like a snare stand would be a less-than-ideal solution if you wanted the tom anywher enear the center of the bass drum. Seems more like a traditional bass drum-mounted tom would make it easier to get there. Either that or soming off of another stand from the side (whether there's a cymbal on it or not). I suppose a rack could be another option for this kind of setup.

Eh, whatever works!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 12th November 2009
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Here is the snare stand I use

Amazon.com: Drum Workshop CP9300 9000 Series Heavy Duty Snare Stand: Musical Instruments


As you can see, the snare basket can slide quite a bit so it reaches over the kick. Not ideal, but it's the best set up I have found.

Just saw you are on tour with Mitch Easter. Do you guys do any Lets Active stuff?


Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarges View Post
Sure, but that's got nothing to do with a RIMS mount. That's got more to do with just having the tom come off of a cymbal stand. I do see your point. It seems like a snare stand would be a less-than-ideal solution if you wanted the tom anywher enear the center of the bass drum. Seems more like a traditional bass drum-mounted tom would make it easier to get there. Either that or soming off of another stand from the side (whether there's a cymbal on it or not). I suppose a rack could be another option for this kind of setup.

Eh, whatever works!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 12th November 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
Here is the snare stand I use
Yeah, that stand makes much more sense. Yamaha makes one kind of like that, too, although not quite as far-reaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
Just saw you are on tour with Mitch Easter. Do you guys do any Lets Active stuff?
Usually. It's generally a mix of LA tunes and some of his solo stuff. Last year, Mitch actually put together what he calls a "Let's Active cover band" (which I find hysterical) for what would unfortunately be one of the first and last Pylon reunion shows. That band is called Gravel Truck (after the little synth ditty on Cypress) and we do nothing but Let's Active songs. We did a bunch of shows late last year and maybe a couple this year. It's great stuff and fun to play!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 17th November 2009
  #12
Here for the gear
 

have you considered an old school rail mount on the bass drum? I've seen a lot of these on newer builds lately. They are being installed more at 10 o'clock rather than the 12 o'clock method. I'm fairly certain you can then attach a rims mount tom to the rail (not sure about how that hardware works). I think that gives you the extra tone from the rims mount, the good placement off of the bass drum, and a lack of extra hardware for easy breakdown. Plus you're not running any big holes into the bass drums like with most BD mounts.
Old 18th November 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
drumzealot's Avatar
 

Any way that puts them where I want and doesn't effect the tone. Snare stands work but only the "old type" (the arms don't fold upward). The newer kind (where the arms do fold upward) chokes the tom (which some people like...not me).
Yamaha YESS mount systems are nice
RIMMS mounts are nice
RIMMS mounts with Yamaha YESS clamps and tom arms rule
Old 18th November 2009
  #14
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Both drum kits I own (Arbiter and DW) have no mounting hardware on the kick drum, or a hole there for that matter. I absolutely hate toms sitting there humming on a kick drum mount...

Separate stand with a mount = perfection for me as far as placement and vibration goes.

War
Old 18th November 2009
  #15
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

i don't like the idea of anything other than a Virgin kick.
Old 18th November 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
uncle duncan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
...Separate stand with a mount = perfection for me as far as placement and vibration goes...

War
If you get one of these Yamaha 3-way receptor brackets
Buy Yamaha 3-Hole Receiver for Cymbal or Drum Stands | Tom Mounts | Musician's Friend
you can set up your tom mount in one hole, with the friction ring thingie so you don't have to adjust the height every time, and then add your cymbal in another hole and still have one hole free for another piece.

I have one on each side of the studio kit - hi tom, crash, and splash on a boom arm, and lo tom, ride on a boom arm, and crash on a boom arm. The kick drum remains unconstrained, which makes it really easy if we want to switch from the 22" to the 20".
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear