The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
OH choices!
Old 16th June 2009
Here for the gear

OH choices!

Hello, long time lurker here and thanks for all the great info. I am looking at small condenser pairs up to $1200 for drum OH's. Great sounding kit and great drummer. Since OH's are depending on the room, drummer and style it was hard to find an answer with the search. I've attached pics of the room I will be using, and style is mostly rock. I will say I've done a test with the rode nt5's with the recorderman set up and thought they were a little dark for me, but good overall. The room is all I have to work with and these mics will be what I'll use for a long time to come. As you can see, the cielings are wood and very low (about 8ft) Thanks ahead of time fellow slutz!
Attached Thumbnails
OH choices!-drum-room-003.jpg   OH choices!-drum-room-004.jpg   OH choices!-drum-room-007.jpg  
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Hi Memoryman, welcome aboard.

Man, there're stacks of good choices available. I use NT5s and Shure SM81s.

Here's an affordable KM84 clone that has a good rep: Chameleon Labs tube SDC
Old 17th June 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks tubthumper, That's a new choice and they're tube. I realize there are soooo many choices. C451b's from what I've read are too bright for some on OH's, Peluso cemc6 are interesting, josephson c42 again sound like they're too bright for some, and the akg c414 sound like a swiss army knife that most like. Wish I could try all of them out and decide, anyway thanks again I'll check the chameleons out!
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Nut

414's are great on OH's if you can spare the cash.

451's are great too. I've had good luck with them.

It depends on what kind of cymbals the drummer is using.

-Jeff Braun
Old 17th June 2009
Here for the gear

Drummer is using paiste signature series and/or zildian a's. AHHH! So many choices and variables. Again, why I wish I could try this stuff out. Thanks for the reply's as it helps keep me sane
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Hi Memoryman, welcome aboard.

Man, there're stacks of good choices available. I use NT5s and Shure SM81s.

Here's an affordable KM84 clone that has a good rep: Chameleon Labs tube SDC
What are your thoughts on the NT5's? Are they overly bright/shimmery? I am looking for a pair of overheads myself that are warmer and not as much high end sizzle as the cheap SDC's I currently use.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Killer,

To my ears, and through my chain, the NT5s are slightly on the bright side of neutral. I wouldn't call them harsh though.

Terry Manning recommended them to me as a decent SDC for a fair price. Rode are made down the road (!) from me so I was happy to support a local business. Terry also uses them as a spot mic on snare drum, and I've had good results using them there also. Actually, I use them on acoustic guitar, percussion, cello.... other acoustic sources also.

YMMV man, but I think they're good value for money. I'd be keen to hear the Chameleon Labs jobbies though.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Charter Oaks makes a sdc that comes with interchangeable capsules and pad and bass rolloff switches. The frequency response plot looks fairly smooth, with no jagged peaks.

CharterOak Acoustic Devices Model NEW M900 Small Condenser Microphone

They also make a cool mid-size capsule tube mic with a tight pattern, but at close to $2k for a pair, that might be a little out of your price range.

The Oktava MK-012 is supposed to be a rather warm, fat sounding sdc, but you'd want to get a hot-rodded model from Oktavamod.com, since the stock ones can be a little wooly sounding. The MK-012 also comes with a multi-capsule option.

The advantage to getting the multi-capsule option is the hyper-cardioid pattern, which could take more of the room out of your sound. You'd also want to put up some treatment in your room. A few DIY bass traps could go a long way towards giving you a more defined drum sound.
Old 18th June 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks Duncan, another private company I've not heard of! Bass traps sound like a great idea that looks fairly inexpensive. Thanks again!
Old 19th June 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

I see the pics, but what are the dimensions of the room? Among other variables, the ceiling height will have a big effect on the drum sound regardless of what mics you use. If your ceiling is lower than 10 feet, a cloud of rigid fiberglass absorption over the kit will help A LOT. If the sound in the room isn't good to begin with, a better mic will only do a better job revealing how bad the room sounds. I hate to be that guy, but I don't see any acoustic treatment so I have to wonder. The room looks on the small side. I'd treat the first reflection points before getting a good pair of mics.
Old 15th July 2009
Here for the gear

thx Jax, made a bunch of acoustic panels and bass traps. The room is 22' by 16' by 8. The room does sound pretty damn good, just needs treatment like you said. Thanks again!
Old 16th July 2009
OH mics I've got experience with:

AKG C414 (TLII and ULS)
Shure SM81
AKG 5451
Rode NT5
Neumann KM184
Neumann U87
Mojave MA100
Earthworks DR25 (I think that was the model number)
Beyerdynamic M160
Beyerdynamic MC930
Josephson C42

Of the above, the Beyerdynamic MC930s are my favorite by far. I wouldn't say they're dark but they definitely aren't hyped; the high end is very smooth and velvety sounding. The low end and transient response is pretty great as well. Amazing mics for $1000 a pair.
Old 18th July 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks, I actually bought the Josephson c42's and love them!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search