The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tension rods SUPER hard to tighten on older Ludwig Acrolite
Old 14th June 2009
Lives for gear

Tension rods SUPER hard to tighten on older Ludwig Acrolite

I own two Ludwig Acrolites and I am trying to decide which one to keep. My older, cooler one (cause it's older) from the 70's has an issue with the rods being so tight that it is impossible to get it cranked up where I would like (90 on the drum dial and tuned to ear). It squeaks so loud that my fiance can't handle the noise and I can't twist enough (can't turn it any further) get it tight enough. Is there an easy solution?
Vasoline/wd40?? do any of them hurt the inside of the lugs??

I bought new tension rods for the entire drum. it looks nearly perfect..it's just a total PITA to tune/replace heads.

Would like to keep the older one..lil help??

-Rich

Last edited by filthyrich; 14th June 2009 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: I'm dumb.
Old 15th June 2009
Sounds like you need some grease.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Lube the threads and the washers at the head of the tension rod. You can use any lube from clean engine oil to silicone, but only use a drop on each surface.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Also make sure the treads are clean and in a some what good condition.

You can use clean them with steel wool.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

And now

Now I'm noticing something else. It seems like the muffler works to loosen it, but even all the way loose; the drum doesn't ring nearly as much as the other acrolite with similar head setup and similar tuning. I'm guessing that even when loose, the muffler is still up against the head somehow.

Can you just bend the muffler back a little by force?
..or maybe I can just take it off. They are easy to remove, put back on..yes?

-Thanks.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, you can bend it. I don't remember if you can take it off on the acrolite, but I think you could if you wanted. Some people take it off to eliminate any rattle it might cause.
Old 15th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo View Post
Yes, you can bend it. I don't remember if you can take it off on the acrolite, but I think you could if you wanted. Some people take it off to eliminate any rattle it might cause.
Yeah, if you intend not to use the muffler, just remove it.
It might cause rattle and other unwanted noises if you don't.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Perfect

I put puresound blasters on it, put an ambassador coated head on top and a remo thin on the bottom. It sounds like a dream. I also took off the muffler all together. I'm keeping the 70s one.

Anyone want one from May 88, with a new evans g2 coated batter and original bottom, original wires with perfectly fine muffler, that sounds great with a case and stand for 140 plus shipping?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search