The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boing.....Boing........Snare
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
Sound clip?
I'll post and let me know what else I can do to this bastard snare .
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

If you ever wondered how I sounded after not playing drums for over a month and getting over a cold this is it So excuse the sloppyness

So heres a sample of the snare

01-drums.wav

Theres no EQ , just a BF76 cutting off 2 dbs on kick and snare .
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Try a small piece of masking tape or two on the resonant side - near the rim
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul&folk View Post
Try a small piece of masking tape or two on the resonant side - near the rim
Ok I'll try some tape on the bottom head,

I have two squares of Duct tape on the batter head .

Does the tuning of the snare sound too high ?

It felt weird , like it was a little high , the stick bounce is different than I'm used to .
Old 4th March 2009
Some thoughts:

I think in your quest to kill off the undesirable characteristics of the snare you've just killed it. It sounds pretty okay, but obviously muffled a bit. If a 70's sound was your goal this is hitting the mark.

Myself, I kind of want to hear it tuned brighter on top and probably 1/4 of the dampening.

Just a thought...
Old 4th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
I'll try and make one
It's basically a 1.5 inch ring cut out of a old snare head that sits in the inside rim of the snare. Can cut overtones and sustain. Works well in some situations but not all. .....will probably get rid of Boing......Boing........Boing.

TW
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some thoughts:

I think in your quest to kill off the undesirable characteristics of the snare you've just killed it. It sounds pretty okay, but obviously muffled a bit. If a 70's sound was your goal this is hitting the mark.

Myself, I kind of want to hear it tuned brighter on top and probably 1/4 of the dampening.

Just a thought...
Tuned brighter than it already is ?

I'm working on my own music right now and it is all different types of rock . I do have some late 70's punk songs I wanna do so with this setup I'll knock those out .

Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
It's basically a 1.5 inch ring cut out of a old snare head that sits in the inside rim of the snare. Can cut overtones and sustain. Works well in some situations but not all. .....will probably get rid of Boing......Boing........Boing.

TW
cool

I'm changing the head soon , I'll then cut this one into a ring and try it .
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

Heres another sample of an actual song I'm working on .

Does the snare sound choked ? Tuned too high ? It sounds a little weird to me .

01-drums.wav
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

Yes it does sound choked. Do you have other snares around? Perhaps a birch snare? or maple? anything wood?

this snare is really giving you some trouble...

Let me ask you, beofe micing it, is it sounding ok to you? Maybe it's how your micing it? WHich mic are you using? Perhaps try something else? Maybe play around with the mic positioning?
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul&folk View Post
Yes it does sound choked. Do you have other snares around? Perhaps a birch snare? or maple? anything wood?

this snare is really giving you some trouble...

Let me ask you, beofe micing it, is it sounding ok to you? Maybe it's how your micing it? WHich mic are you using? Perhaps try something else? Maybe play around with the mic positioning?
I've moved the mic around so its now capturing the snare exactly how is sounds in the room .

I'm gonna try retuning it again .

I have another snare , its an old Ludwig wooden snare , 6.5x14 , not sure what type of wood . It gives me problems as well , not ringing , just pretty dull sounding .

I wanna get a WorldMax 6.5"x14" Black Hawg Snare .
Old 5th March 2009
Quote:
Tuned brighter than it already is ?
Yeah, but a lot less muted. You get it tuned high enough on top and it starts to dampen itself a lot.
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, but a lot less muted. You get it tuned high enough on top and it starts to dampen itself a lot.
I'll try it , thanks
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Ok here its tuned higher , 1/2 the muffling . I think it sounds better and it plays better too , more bounce . But when I hit it certain ways se idaho returns .

01-drums.wav
Old 6th March 2009
Quote:
Ok here its tuned higher , 1/2 the muffling . I think it sounds better and it plays better too, more bounce.
Sounding better already!

Just to see how far you can push it, try even higher (as tight as it can go--and then back up a tad) with the least amount of dampening possible.
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounding better already!

Just to see how far you can push it, try even higher (as tight as it can go--and then back up a tad) with the least amount of dampening possible.

thanks James!! heh

As soon as I cranked it up a bit and took off some of the muffling and , I was like James comes through again !

So tomorrow I'm gonna try what you said . As soon as I get this snare right I'm gonna start tracking some songs .
Old 8th March 2009
Lives for gear

I got it sounding decent for what I'm trying to do , sound like The Ramones snare .

Tuned it as high as I could then used ALOT of muffling .

01-Alone.wav

Now its time to practice and get my playing back so I'm not so sloppy .
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear