The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Zildjian K Custom or Paiste Signature Light Dark Ride for studio?
Old 31st December 2008
Zildjian K Custom or Paiste Signature Light Dark Ride for studio?

I'm looking for a ride for studio use, and I'm torn between these two. I'm not a drummer, but as of now I have a Ludwig Fab Four Classic Maple Bop 4-piece and a pair of Paiste Dark Crisp hi-hats.
Old 31st December 2008
Lives for gear

I am a fan of the K series in general.... not like in the Facebook kinda way.

They are very complex and dark and they record really well.
Old 31st December 2008
Lives for gear

I really like Paiste 2002 series. Check them out.
Old 1st January 2009
Lives for gear

Opinions... Sabian HHX.
Old 11th January 2009
Gear Nut

The Paiste will be more consistent with your hats but I like the K better. It's best to test out cymbals before buying, their sound can vary a lot within a single model.

You get more cymbal for your money if you buy Sabian, and being owned by a branch of the Zildjian family, they are very much in that tradition. Some would say more so than Zildjian these days. I personally prefer totally handmade Turkish cymbals like Bosphorus and Istanbul.
Old 11th January 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

I could never get my ears around (ouch... painful!) the Sabian sound until their more recent stuff, within the last 5-8 years. The only exception was the DeJohnette ride, which is a cool, short, pangy cymbal. Then again I don't think it would work for rock.

Using a 20" K ride here for the last 16 years. Just a regular K, not heavy, medium, custom or anything, but I would like to get some variety. I also have a UFIP medium heavy flat ride which has good stick definition and ping, but I wish it had a bell. When I first played it I even reached for the bell like a lost limb or something. Thought I could live with it, but it will be going back to the drum shop to see what I can get for it.

I'll be looking for a good rock ride this year. Must be more cutting than my K and have a deep ping, a little wash, and a great bell. The Stewart Copeland Paiste might be great.
Old 16th February 2009
Gear Head

I just finished a session today where we used K custom dark crashes, we tried the k custom dark ride, which sounded great, but thought the Sabian HHX Evolution 20" ride sounded fantastic and really blended well with our setup.
Old 16th February 2009
I think it's hard to decide on a ride based on the name of a series.
I think it's best to look around, audition a few cymbals and choose something (from any company) that works for you.
I record with a bunch of rides, vintage and contemporary.
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

For general purpose rides I find 20” Paiste 2002’s to be work quite well. The 24” 2002 rides sound great as but may be a little much for lighter flavors. For some reason, I’ve never played a 22” 2002 that I liked.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search