The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Keeping the kick from sliding!
Old 14th January 2012
I use a cinder block inside the drum on a blanket.
Old 16th January 2012
Gear Addict

Wouldn't something that heavy mess with the resonance of the drum?
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoire520 View Post
Wouldn't something that heavy mess with the resonance of the drum?

Never went for it myself, but I know people who claim a sonic improvement from doing this, coupling with the floor or something?
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

We have two wooden rings screwed on the drum riser so the nails of the feet of the kick drum cannot move from there.

Nikolas
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

My first kit came with a clamp on the bottom of the kick rim -- two reversal spikes -- pointed or rubber tip But that was in the 60s ...
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
Never went for it myself, but I know people who claim a sonic improvement from doing this, coupling with the floor or something?
Increases the mass of the drum, lowers the fundamental.

I never used that for holding the drum in place, but can't say it didn't help.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Nailing a bit of lumber to the top of a rug from underneath does the trick rather well.
Old 23rd January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Thick carpet isn't always the answer, and the rubber feet with spikes isn't either.

What ways do you control a kick drum sliding away from the drummer?

War
Hi.. I'm new to drumming and was hoping someone could give me some advice regarding how to stop my bass pad and pedals from moving; I've used carpets and Velcro with no joy. I have the Roland TD12 Edrum kit on a tiled floor, i have seen this product called rhinokickstay looks to good to be true.... and was wondering if anybody has used one or has seen it love to hear what you think....

Thanks guys
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Nut

Look out for a crash pad. I have one. Had to have it made stronger but has served me well for years, it iss very portable and works on any surface. (wood, tiles, even grass or gravel!)
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Gaffer tape a thin plank of wood to the floor of the venue just in front of the kick. works.
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

A couple of guys were headed in the right direction, but they kinda wussed out on the execution...heh

The whole point is to keep the bass drum from moving relative to the throne.

Now you could use some heavy twine or rope to tie the bass drum to the throne. That will do the job, but aesthetically that's kinda meh.

Last time I was faced with a "walking" bass drum I went to the hardware store and got some chrome-plated chain with links about 1" inch long.

And trust me, you get far more props when you're walking around with a nice hunk of chain around your neck than you'll ever get if you're just carrying a roll of twine...
Old 5th February 2012
Here for the gear

When i first started playing like 8 years ago, this is a common problem when playing crappy practice room kits that aren't maintained or other peoples kits at gigs/playing on a rubbish floor. Best thing to do is tie the kick drum to your drum stool with some heavy rope, and put the whole thing on a heavy rug/carpet, and make sure your bass drum has proper spikes on the legs. (do the same for the hi-hat too as that can move too, and is just as annoying).

I never go anywhere now without my drum kit properly set up, and all my equipment. In a situation at a gig where i need to share a kit, i always bring my own hardware including stool, and a carpet and rope.
Old 7th March 2012
Here for the gear

I've always had really good experiences with the Kaces Crash Pad. I've had one for years now, and it has held up for me really well. Comes with a bag too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

i use KickBlock from amazon. it's a foam block with crazy aggressive velcro stuff on the bottom. it grips my drum rug hard and sits in front of my bass drum like a wall so the drum never moves--period. problem solved.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Always used the spikes /rubber tips since about '64 ( still have my original Ludwig accessories ) ....

My newest kick ( Pearl PCTK-1810 ) has a adjustable leg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search