The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
That 70's snare sound Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th June 2008
  #31
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadumtish View Post
there is two snare sounds in the 70s from my experience

1/ the low end DIsco thuddy snare ala steve gadd or tony thompson
( a supra tuned mid low with an o ring will give this )

2/ the open , snappy bonham / paise / bruford etc snare
a supra tuned high no damping , or a 402

I agree, to me 70's snare is either bonham or some sort of John Lennon solo album (anyone in particular play on those?)
Old 24th June 2008
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmask View Post
or some sort of John Lennon solo album (anyone in particular play on those?)
Andy Newmark for sure.
Jim Gordon?
Old 24th June 2008
  #33
Gear Guru
 
charles maynes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Andy Newmark for sure.
Jim Gordon?
Jim Keltnor?
Old 25th June 2008
  #34
Jax
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadumtish View Post
there is two snare sounds in the 70s from my experience

1/ the low end DIsco thuddy snare ala steve gadd or tony thompson
( a supra tuned mid low with an o ring will give this )

2/ the open , snappy bonham / paise / bruford etc snare
a supra tuned high no damping , or a 402


and rim shotting both styles is standard .
I can't overlook at least one more 70's snare sound

3. Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, Bernard Purdie, Melvin Parker. All James Brown drummers. I don't know what snares they used, but it was generally a tight, snapping, no ringing sound that we've all undoubtedly heard. Might as well have been a marching snare although it could well have been an acrolite or supra cranked tight. Anybody who knows, fill in the blanks.
Old 25th June 2008
  #35
I don't know but Acrolite and/or Supra would be a good guess.
Old 25th June 2008
  #36
Gear Head
 

ok lol . agrreed ! 3
Old 28th June 2008
  #37
Lives for gear
 

i was just watching

YouTube - Led Zeppelin-When the Levee Breaks

which has an awesome 70s explosive drum sound i love.

i'm wild guessing acrolite/supra, spaceous studio, plus plenty of verb. is it an echo chamber or a plate? sounds like the whole set or at least the bass drum too is getting it, whatever it is... (?)

bonham fans?

edit - found this thread https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...hn-bonham.html

"I heard they also tape delayed the room mics, sometimes 20-30 feet from the drums and added that in as well. Very big, bold, and ambient. I have put a lot of effort in getting a similar vibe, as my drummer is a Bonham fiend."

"That wasn't reverb, it was the room."

?
Old 28th June 2008
  #38
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovisceral View Post
i was just watching

YouTube - Led Zeppelin-When the Levee Breaks

which has an awesome 70s explosive drum sound i love.

i'm wild guessing acrolite/supra, spaceous studio, plus plenty of verb. is it an echo chamber or a plate? sounds like the whole set or at least the bass drum too is getting it, whatever it is...

bonham fans?
ya tricked me I thought it was a live vid of levee breaks.
That drums sound is monsterous. Nothing comes close

That was Hedley Grange Castle in a stair well I heard? not sure
Old 28th June 2008
  #39
Lives for gear
 

6.5" Supraphonic.. tuned pretty high, played like he was trying to crush it.
Ludwig 3-ply 26" kick, tuned up like a big-band player.. played like he was trying to crush it.
Paiste 16" soundedge hats.. Paiste 18 & 20" crashes.. 24" ride. By LZ4 he may have already switched to 2002s from giant beats (don't recall exactly when he switched).

In a BIG room (I believe the above mention of Hedley Grange is correct) with distant mics and a Binson Echorec for the slapback.
Old 27th May 2014
  #40
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson View Post
Love Love the Gentle Giant drum sounds - just finished dropping samples into our studio computer yesterday (note: samples came from a double disk released many years ago with a sample library of drum keyboard bass and guitar clips ) - it was interesting to use sound replacer with kick and snare samples from classic Giant -

curious though - the 'funk' side of this drummer... for all the incredible syncopation and counterpoint in their compositions - i find that the GG drummer is usually the time keeper - playing staight beats to the out-the-box offbeats of the bass, guitar and keys ( and recorders... haha)... it also reminds me of younger funk drummers who overplay thinking that they must play funky and play alot to achieve a 'funk' style - and yet when you study funk from the 70's most of the time - the drummer is playing simple! not overplaying - it the totality of everyone's rhythms (guitar parts, bass parts) that make the funk feel...

listen to classic Meters tracks from the 60's or 70's or Sly or Pfunk... it's simple and yet it sounds complicated.

not to be too off from the topic though -
i'm finding beefer ballsy drum sounds these days from fewer mics! The image is a better whole than summing 8-12 macro sounds of the kit and then expecting that to translate as a drumkit image.... 70's production holds true here too - fewer tracks (16) - fewer channels and bigger sounds... one overhead and one kick.. OMG!!

just a thought -
Hobson
Hi! I´m new to this and am a bass player not a drummer! I just saw GG drummer and would like to mention(in case anyone does not know) that his name is John "Pugwash" Weathers! I worked many years with John and he is (was), he is not able to play any more, definately one of the best rock drummers ever! Yes, he rarely did fills, he was incredibly powerful in his simplicity! He was able to play any kind of music, even jazz! He played a lot of rimshots live! He had a 60´s Ludwig kit which always sounded wonderful! He had a stone on a pillow in the bass drum so it wouldn´t move so easily! A fantastic drummer! Thank you!
Old 3rd March 2019
  #41
Gear Addict
 
Anaon's Avatar
Sorry for the thread resurrection but I loved reading it, nice stuff

I'm looking for a new snare, I'm wondering if there's some kind of consensus about the size for 70's classic rock/prog rock. 5.5 or 6.5 x 14?

Many thanks
Old 3rd March 2019
  #42
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaon View Post
Sorry for the thread resurrection but I loved reading it, nice stuff

I'm looking for a new snare, I'm wondering if there's some kind of consensus about the size for 70's classic rock/prog rock. 5.5 or 6.5 x 14?

Many thanks
I don't think you can make a general statement on that, there were so many records and players, that both were used a lot.

The question is, what snare(s) do you have? You'll want to add something that contrasts what you currently have.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #43
Lives for gear
 

'that' snare sound: ian paice or billy cobham?
Old 4th March 2019
  #44
Gear Addict
 
Anaon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I don't think you can make a general statement on that, there were so many records and players, that both were used a lot.

The question is, what snare(s) do you have? You'll want to add something that contrasts what you currently have.
You're right, maybe we can say a 6.5 is a bit more versatile?

I just own a cheap wood snare so I guess it will be easy to find a better model It would just be great to find a model to get close to that 70's vibe (I love the muffled snare sound but also the open sound like Bill Bruford...)
Old 4th March 2019
  #45
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaon View Post
You're right, maybe we can say a 6.5 is a bit more versatile?

I just own a cheap wood snare so I guess it will be easy to find a better model It would just be great to find a model to get close to that 70's vibe (I love the muffled snare sound but also the open sound like Bill Bruford...)
I find 5" metal drums a bit limiting. 6 .5" metal is much more useful. In wood, I'm totally cool with 5" drums. You might consider a 6.5" Supraphonic with some muffling. Also, if you're going for a full on 70s thing, deaden up the toms, put gobos around the drums and don't use room mics. Check out the Sara Quah link in my signature, we wanted it to sound like LA in the mid 70s.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
nd33 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
22
chrisso / So Much Gear, So Little Time
22

Forum Jump
Forum Jump