Gretsch New Classic
Old 22nd April 2009
500 series nutjob

sweet!!!!
Old 22nd April 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Congrats on a very nice kit!

When I demoed the Gretsch New Classic toms at GC two weeks ago, the first thing I heard was a very similar sound to my Yamaha Maple Custom toms (pre-absolute, post recording custom). It really baffled me! I expected something different, but there it was. If it was a blind test, I don't think I'd be able to tell them apart - it was that close.

I didn't want to try the kick since I knew the toms would sound too much like what I already have. No point taking a step sideways.

I'm probably going to bring in my 12" tom just to confirm what I was hearing.
Old 22nd April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisasound View Post
Don't be mad. It just sounds too good and I'm a stones throw from the shop. Its sitting in the studio now.

So-you bought these? I've had this exact kit for a year now and I'm still thrilled with them.
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswift View Post
So-you bought these? I've had this exact kit for a year now and I'm still thrilled with them.
Yup, great sounding kit. My husband was due for a new kit and we needed something great for recording. I haven't yet mic'd it up and given it a go. I'll post mp3's when I'm done. Probably next week.
Old 4th March 2010
Here for the gear

Thumbs up I love my New Classic kit

I just bought the New Classic Euro (Fusion) kit in Vintage Glass a couple of weeks ago. I love these drums! The tone and sustain is unbelievable, especially for the price.

I would highly recommend them. They came with Evans G1 coated heads and I've also played them with Evans EC2's and they both sound great, but different. A recording engineer that I frequently work with also loved them.

Unless you are a high-end professional player, with a very discerning ear, I don't see the need to pay thousands more for the USA customs. The New Classic's are truly a pro-kit, with pro sounds for a fraction of the USA Custom price. hehhehhehheh
Old 23rd April 2011
Here for the gear

Another "New Classic" review

've have a new classic kit for 2 years now. It is one of the best kits I've ever played or recorded. The proportionate shell thickness really keeps even tone and spectrum across the entire tuning range. Not only are the tube lugs less inhibiting to shell resonance but the “ITS” integrated tom suspension system is superior to other systems(IE R.I.M.S) in that nothing touches or applies pressure to either the tension rods or rims. Tuning is quick and easy and they "hold" the tension(tuning) forever. (Well.. a long time anyway). When I first closely inspected the shells I was amazed at the construction quality. My guess is that they will hold (or increase) their value like my 1963 round badge set has.
I use them in a well known recording studio and everyone who has recorded with them fall in love with the results. All the heads I've tried work well but I have a preference for the Evans EC2 coated on the toms, Aquarian Superkick II for the Bass drum.

GREAT drums!!! Highly recommended!!!
Old 8th May 2011
Gear Nut

We've made several recordings with this kit to this point and have used it sparingly live. Just a terrific sounding and recording kit. Everyone who's played the kit is amazed at the sustain and warmth. Extremely musical, they just sound the way good drums are supposed to sound.
Old 8th March 2020
Here for the gear

I've had a few of the Round Badge and SSB kits and currently have a 2018 USA Custom 12/14/20/6.5x14.

I've owned two, New Classic kits, now. '06 currently, 10/12/13/14/16/22/5.5x14 snare, in Vintage Glass Glitter and had a 13/16/22/5.5x14 in deep cherry lacquer. I'll put them up against any $4000 DW kit, or anything else in that price range.
They have incredibly versatile tuning ranges and, as mentioned above, the kicks are thunder.

It IS rather humorous to read all the posts about Kaman owning Gretsch, by people that think they know.
Kaman never did own Gretsch, never will. Kaman had distribution of Gretsch drums, period. Even the kits made overseas were designed by the Gretsch family and their builders in S.C. When Fender bought Kaman, it became KMC (Kaman Music Corp).
Then, Kaman gave up distribution of LP, Toca, Gretsch and others.
DW picked up all but a few, including all Gretsch. Then, they gave up distribution of the overseas produced kits. Hal Leonard now distributes those, out of their warehouses in Minnesota.

Last edited by Larry D; 8th March 2020 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: Added material
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear