The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sabian B8 hats- Vurrrrry nice for Metal... who knew?
Old 15th January 2008
Gear nut

Sabian B8 hats- Vurrrrry nice for Metal... who knew?

We had a kid come into the studio with a kit the other day, and he had some of those entry level Sabian B8 hats, 14". I was ready to run into the other room and grab the New Beats, but I thought I'd let him set up his kit and I'd see what he had going on.

Well, the B8s were a very pleasant surprise- dark and warm and they didn't jump into the snare mic too badly, nor did they flood the overheads with hiss.

I may have to pick some of those up for the stoner rock and retro metal bands who come in. I really loved the dark "chucka chucka chucka" of those hats.

You just never know where the good stuff is going to come from, I guess.
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Cheap cymbals don't necessarily mean bad cymbals... over on drumforum.org, a lot fo the guys say that some of the cheapo Tosco cymbals are pretty good, too.
Old 15th January 2008
Gear Head

Thumbs up

I used B8's for a loooong time--got them as a present when I was young, and it took my a LOOONG time to find something I liked enough to upgrade. A very good investment considering the low price!

On that note--I also used a 20" Sabian B8 ride as a CRASH cymbal for a while. Pretty heavy sound!

Might be worth your $ to buy a "starter pack" with some 14" hats and a 20" ride for the studio.
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Or, for Jazz, look at Dream cymbals.
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Or, for Jazz, look at Dream cymbals.
Or, for jazz, look at Sabian B8's.

Idrumzealot - Patrick

Or Brazilian jazz in this case.

Break out of a mindset defined by marketing, ignore names and numbers and pay attention to sound.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

I still have my 8-year old Sabian B8 20" ride. I never replaced it cause it had the ping I needed for the music I was playing. I then wanted to crash on the ride and get some wash and had to go elsewhere... but the B8 was good!

Only thing that B8 sucks for is Chinese crashes... god they all suck imo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search