The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your choice of cymbals for recording. Studio Monitors
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Your choice of cymbals for recording.

I am going to be doing a full length in november and im trying to get a prepared as possible.
The musical style is somewhere inbetween Muse and Keane. Kind of british rock type stuff.

Ive gotten a hold of a nice maple ludwig kit and have a primier birch kit at my disposal.

Now on to cymbals... I am a little overwhelmed with options.
What would you chose and why?

2 Crashes
1 Ride
Hihats
Old 30th August 2007
I really like the A customs for the studio
Old 30th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Zildjian A, love 'em.

War
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

even on the hihats?
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

paiste signature
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Crashes:
I like two options:
-Custom A's good combo of bright but in a mellow sort of way. Controled decay.
-2002's: classy but not bitting. The 18" med is so so nice. I was not a big fan of 2002's until I started to record with them. Now I'm an addict.
Over all I would stay away for anything smaller than 16" but it wouldn't hurt to have a 14" Cust A handy.
-My current favorite is a 17" Custom A and an 18" 2002 med
Paiste Signitures are nice too but I don't own any so I can't give a strong rec.
I have yet to hear a Paiste 2002 smaller than 18" that I like. But 18" or bigger...they rule.

Ride:
2002 20" or 24". Never tried a 22" myself. I made the mistake of thinking of the 24" as better for louder or heavier music. Although it is heavier, it is just as good at a lower dynamic as a 20". In fact, the sound from hitting the edge of a 24" may be better than the 20" to my ears. But I love both.
I really don't like super pingy or super dry rides. These 2002's are quite musical and cut just enough for just about all types of rock. They have great stick definition but are not pingy. Plus they sound good when you bash the edge, not too thick for crashing.

Hats:
14"
My current favorite is Custom A on top and a New Beat on the bottom. If you need to lighten the sound a bit put a 14" Cust A crash on top. If the band gets loud enough, or the sound thick enough, I use both New Beats even though I find them a tad too heavy and bright.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

how would you say a 2002 ride compares to something like a "sweet ride"?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahellam View Post
how would you say a 2002 ride compares to something like a "sweet ride"?

I'd have to A/B them to say for sure. But I recall trying a sweet ride and it sounded a bit to ...none musical to me, as do a lot of Zildjian rides, even the A Customs. The lighter "jazzier" zildjian rides are nice. Of all the Zildjian rides I have owned I only liked an old med weight 20" A, a 20" light contantinople and an 18" med ride with rivets.
I recall thinking of the sweet ride as a ping ride with a smaller bell. I have never been in a situation where I wished I had a ping ride. A long time ago, I played in a classic rock cover band where the guitar player/leader had me gig with his drum rig which had a 20" ping. I quit (but not for that reason, of course).

Although I do recall thinking that I would rather have a sweet ride than a ping ride.

Weird thing about cymbals, what sounds good from behind the set may not sound as good to an audience or in a recording. And visaversa: sounds bad from behind the kit but good else where.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

I have a 22" 2002 ride and a 21" sweet ride.

night and day...

really hard to convey sonic differences with text.

paiste 22" 2002 is quite chunky and pingy and can be played hard without much wash. cuts thru anything. crystal clear.

I use light sticks and play softly on the sweet ride...wash builds up quickly otherwise. more undertones than the paiste. softer sound. I like it for softer delicate work.

in context, both record beautifully.

used to have a 2002 20" medium and regret selling it! sold my signature flat ride as well....note to self....never ever sell minty cymbals to raise cash!

love the 602 series as well...I'm looking for 602 med hi hats........ fast and silky ssmooove

dont get me wrong....love zildjians too !

just bought a custom A 17" crash and 17" k crash....in this case, much prefer them to my old 16 and 18" 2002 crashes.

overall, with paiste, the sound is very consistent for a given model and size...wrt zildjian go to a store with a big selection and spend the day cherry picking and you will be richly rewarded!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I have never actually seen a 22” 2002 ride. Don’t know why.

To my ears the 2002 rides have a cutting and bright yet soft quality, but from a 2nd person’s perspective. I mean, when I go to a live performance or listen to a recording. From behind the set they strike me has less soft.
The following has happened at least twice: tracking drums for someone. Either the client or producer thinks the 2002 ride is too much. I say, “lets just try it and I’ll switch if you want.” We listen to a take. They say, “Damn, you were right about that ride.”
My experience was the same. Never felt prompted to buy one. Had a session with a 2002 ride and crash. Love.

I track crappy demos at my studio. Here is a recent one with a 20” 2002 ride, 17” and 14” Cust A crashes, and my Cust A/New Beat hat combo (with jingles) tracked with three mics.
Idrumzealot - Bit 1

Here is an even more poorly recorded few tunes with 2002s (24” ride and a 18” med crash) and a 17” cust A crash, 14” new beats, 15” Azuca. Drums tracked with 4 mics. The 18” crash is more predominant in the left speaker and the A Cust in the right. Keep in mind MXL OHs, through a Mackie, into an Aardvark Q10. Due to an 8-track limit I had to mix the drums down to 4 tracks. For The Crusher I used a Zildjian K Custom Dry Light ride.
Idrumzealot - Apocalypso

Over all, you should go for thinner bright crashes (16" - 18"), med weight rides that are fairly bright with a controled wash but not too dry (20" - 24"), and med to med-heavy hats (14" - 15"). All the main producers make great stuff.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

i really like Zildjian A's and K's. The A Customs are really nice, but i find some of them to be too bright for my tastes (like the A Custom Mastersound hats). They all record really nicely.

As for a ride, please don't discount the 22in Sabian Paragon ride. To my ears, it sound like an old Zildjian A (which was largely the design goal).

Cymbals are really a personal preference, so you'll need to play a lot and find ones you like best. Currently hanging on my kit are an old set of 14in New Beats (2 sets, actually--they sound quite different), a 20in K Custom Dark ride, a 14in A Crash, a 16in A Custom Crash, an old 18in A Crash/Ride, and a 10in K Custom Splash. I've got a number of other cymbals as well, but these are the ones that find the most use.

I've got my eye on 15in and 17in K thin crashes and one of those Paragon rides, just to cover a few more bases. the K Custom ride is beautiful sounding and very versatile, but it's just not aggressive enough for heavy music. for Keane style stuff, i'd say it'd work pretty well.

Oh, and don't be afraid to mix and match across brands to find the tones you're looking for.

cheers,
wade
Old 31st August 2007

If you want to exceed anything the current off the shelf selection can offer - consider a boutique cymbal maker.

Johan custom cymbals (todd at cymbal cellar can help with sourcing them in the states)

or

Mike Skiba (he is stateside and details are in a sticky at the top of this forum)

All the best
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I really like the Paiste Signature series as well.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

thanks guys, lots of replies
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

26 years ago, when I was 10 years old my dad bought me a drum set for my birthday, included was 4 2002 cymbals and a set of 2002 hi hats.

not that he knew what he was doing, he just asked for "cymbals" and that's what the shop gave him. I also didn't realize or appreciate just what I had be given and as far as I was concerned they were just "cymbals"

but as the years went by I found I never liked any other cymbals I heard more than my own.

to this day I still love 2002's best, and have several including the 1980's 22" china, 18" medium from the original 4. I recently got a 20" crash and a 22" Power Bell ride.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I really like the Paiste Signature series as well.
The Signatures are fab! Especially the smaller sizes. Small 2002's suck (IMO) but the Sig's rule. UFIP's Natural Series are nice in the smaller range as well.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

I have been askin around and i tested some out and while its EXPENSIVE those paiste signature series are really great. The 14 inch Dark Crisp hihats are awesome and so is the 17 inch full crash.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

I have a set of early 60s Zildjian Avedis I really like. I like 'em clean as well!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Cymbals Studio

Bring more than you need and have a few spares if the producer wants tone change you have something ready to go .
Maybe borrow some other cymblas from a coupleof drummer friends .
, A couple of studio pro drummers have a collection of them just for this .purpose . Once you get some sessions under your belt you will have an idea ofwhat to bring for what stlye of music your doing and stil bring a few spares as well just for backup .
Note also make shure you have setup time on your kit most drummers come in early just to set up kit and fine tune it as well.
Make shure every thing is working ect and in good running order come in as pro go home as a pro .
James
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

I like em thin and dark for studio stuff. I have a bunch of Istanbul's that I use for recording. All are basically thin or med-thin type in larger sizes. 17 to 20 crashes and a 20" ride that's very washy. I swap that out with a Sultan 20" ride that's got a better ping to it on songs that don't need the wash of the other one. Match that up with a few hats from my collection....old pair of 14" Paiste 602's are nice. But, I also like my new 13" K Zildjians. A new fav is possibly the worst name ever, but probably the best sounding of the bunch...the Funky Rock hats from Istanbul in 14". I can't wait for the logos with "FUNKY ROCK" to wear off of them.
Oh yeah...and my 72" gong.....

m
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Head

A custom all the way!
Old 4th October 2007
Here for the gear

I use Paiste Signatures.

Here are my current choices:

13" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
8" Splash
10" Splash
16" Fast Crash
18" Extra-Thin Crash (Signature "Traditionals" Line)
20" Bright Ride

& because it was given to me for free...

16" A. Zildijian China Boy Low (Cracked)

You can download this file to hear what they sound like:

Shuffle Beat 01.mp3

Drums on recording are 1994 Slingerland: 18" Kick W/ Evans Eq3, 14" Piccolo with Evans Genera Dry, 10", 12" 14" Toms with Evans coated G1's
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

I really LOVE Paiste 2002 series.

I use 17-18-19-20" 2002 crashes, a 24" 2002 ride, and 15" 2002 Sound Edge hi-hats.

Mics, in pairs, as overheads or room mics (near, mid, or far) that always sound good with these cymbals are the KEL HM-1s, AT 4047s, and AEA R84s.

And, as you mentioned, Ludwig drums. Always.
Old 4th October 2007
Gear Nut

I'm currently digging Istanbul Agop. I have 17 & 18" Dark Crashes that work with pretty much anything. They're really classy sounding. I use a variety of rides, but the two I use the most are a Istanbul Trad Custom Dry, and an Istanbul Mel Lewis C/R.

When I need a more contemporary sound, I have some Sabian AAXs that always fit the bill.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search