The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do Snare drums vary
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

How do Snare drums vary

That is to say, how do the snare drums that sound good to record vary in sound?

Like what is the spectrum?
Old 25th August 2007
they vary in pretty much every way. you have tight, thin, piccolo sounds (i.e. 14 x 3 ala 311) or deep fat sounds (think 14 x8 with slack heads ala Tom Petty). A snare can ring, or it can be dry, it can have a tone or sound like a cardboard box. The tone can sound like wood or metal (different metal has different sounds). Maybe you need to be more specific in what you are asking?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I tend to like fat wood snares.

I'm just wondering how that realm of drum can vary. I guess it would be something like from wet to dry sounding in the area.
Old 26th August 2007
a lot of it can be head choice and tuning on each drum too. For example, a coated ambassador (or equiv) vs. something like an Evans "Dry" or Remo PowerStroke (with the dot) can produce very different tones. the coated ambassador wwill be much more open or ringy sounding then the others.

If you like that fat dry sound, try one of those Evans Dry heads on a deep wood snare then tune to your likeness. it will probably get you there.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldrummer View Post
a lot of it can be head choice and tuning on each drum too. For example, a coated ambassador (or equiv) vs. something like an Evans "Dry" or Remo PowerStroke (with the dot) can produce very different tones. the coated ambassador wwill be much more open or ringy sounding then the others.

If you like that fat dry sound, try one of those Evans Dry heads on a deep wood snare then tune to your likeness. it will probably get you there.
Wow. I never would've thought of that. Of course, I'm not a drummer.

Thanks DD
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Speaking of this topic...this is why guys typically say that the ludwig Supra snare is great for the studio. It sounds pretty good with a variety of different tunings, heads, etc. In an ideal world, a Supra, vintage Black Beauty and a wooden Rogers Dynasonic and you'd be set for studio snares.

later,

m
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Guru

I'm also a non-drummer wondering what I might consider buying to get that
fat Ringo snare sound in a recording.

I understand that I could buy software with a multitude of kits, but having one
real snare is something I've considered to take the drudgery out of sequencing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search