The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Head Choice? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Drum Head Choice?

Hey i am thinking of switching to a new type of head for my kit, i went with remo pinstripes and i have not liked them very much and was thinking of switching to coated emperors and an emporer x for the snare

I have a C&C Maple kit and i tend to be a pretty heavy hitter i

I dont like evans heads but if you have any other suggestions let me know Thx
Old 17th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Have you tried the Evans "Power Center" coated with reverse dot? I really like those, sensitivity of a 1 ply but you can pretty much hammer it like a 2 ply.

War
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

hmmm i have not i have had bad experience with evans cant remember what kind but they were really crapy but i might give them another chance
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I've never liked Evans either. I'm a pretty hard hitter and use coated (or clear, depending on mood & music) Emperor on toms - Ambassador coated on anything below a 14" though, and a CS Batter on the snare with the black dot on the bottom. All Remo's.

I haven't tried the Emperor X, but it's the same thing as CS, only difference is that it's 2-ply. For me an Emperor X would just kill the tone of the snare too much. A CS Batter focuses some overtones, but still has plenty of life to it.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut
Try Emperor Smooth White on toms and Coated Emperor X or Coated CS on Snare.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

thanks i talked with the guy at my fav drum shop about my options and he pretty much said the same as you guys i just wanted to check some other opinions so thanks for the help guys
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

,my toms get aquarian studio x or remo power stroke iii-s
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

I've been using Aquarian satin texture coated heads on my drums for a while now, and I REALLY like them. These are single ply heads, but they are a thicker ply than the typical Ambassador weight drum heads. (They are also VERY durable.)

I play pretty much everything from the quietest jazz, etc. to blues, funk, R&B, and even some hard hitting rock stuff. These heads give me everything I need. I tend to like to get as big and open a sound out of my drums as possible, and then if I need a little control I'll use some moon gel or a bit of tape as needed.

For me, double ply heads tend to choke too much sound out of the drums, and these thicker single ply Aquarians really give me the best of both worlds. I can tune them up high and resonant, and I can play soft and they still sing, or I can tune them very low and still get a great, full, deep tone out of them, with plenty of projection.

If you want something a little darker sounding still, you might check out the Aquarian Jack DeJohnnette heads, which also look really cool, because they are all black!

All that said, you don't really say what it is that you don't like about the sound of the heads you've been using . . . so it's a bit hard to determine what you are really looking for.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Head

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrumskills View Post
Hey i am thinking of switching to a new type of head for my kit, i went with remo pinstripes and i have not liked them very much and was thinking of switching to coated emperors and an emporer x for the snare

I have a C&C Maple kit and i tend to be a pretty heavy hitter i

I dont like evans heads but if you have any other suggestions let me know Thx
Hi mate, Depending on the Sizes of your Toms, i would try Evans Clear or Coated G2 Heads. I think these heads give maple kits a Rounder Tone. They will stand up to your hitting too.

The Remo Emperors are a great head as well. I personally would stay away from coated emperors on your maple kit. As i find it a little harder to get a fat sound out of them (as they are a little thicker than the Evans G2) It's not impossible, but i think on the maple kits, the clear Evans G2 and the Emperor Clear tend to be a little fatter and give off a little more Resonance. Mind you i love my drums to be open as i can get them, but control the tuning so they dont get out of hand. Never once had any complaints.

For your snare, if you want to suck the life out of your snare stay away from the power dots emperor X etc. Try just a plain old emperor. You'll find the results are simply awesome!

This is my 2 cents anyway. Everyone else has a different opinion as this is a very personal part of your playing. Thats the beauty about playing drums. Everone have there own indvidual sound and feel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search