The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Children's drum sets...
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Children's drum sets...

I'm planning on getting a drumset for my boy for his 2nd birthday (I know, starting him young, but he all ready sits behind my Pearl Export and plays!)

I was wondering if anybody has a recommendation for a "junior" set that doesn't totally suck. I've checked out the First Act ones, but wasn't impressed. The Gretch one was much more promising, but I've only seen it online and haven't played it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 27th July 2007
Lives for gear

I would just look into one of those $69 all inclusive kits from ebay. The one with the throne and all isn't too bad. Again, you're really not looking for quality at this stage, just something that fits them. A friend of mine got one of these and it's working for his 3 year old daughter.

My 3yr old will sit on my drums and play for a bit, but she really goes for the mic/singing thing.

m
Old 27th July 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you for sharing, m! But c'mon man, this is Gearslutz, and that reply wasn't very slutty!

Besides, I wanna get something I can play too!

This kid is nuts, he knows a good drum from a bad one.

I also don't want to buy something with ultra-crappy cymbals that are gonna be tinny and harsh all up in my ears thru all hours of the day. I'll probably end up replacing them with some larger splashes I have laying around...

So, humor me here, I know he's too young for any of this to really matter, but is there anything even remotely good out there? I wanna get him something that he'll still wanna play when he's 8.
Old 27th July 2007
Lives for gear

haha...I assumed you would replace the cymbals with decent splashes and such. But, there's really nothing small enough for a 2-3 year old to play that's decent. Even if you started hunting around for random drums to build your own.....That was my thought...I've got an old Ludwig Floor tom that would make a fine bass drum....an 8" old Vistalite tom and a 12" power tom that would make a great mini floor tom. Ok...you do all of that and then what about the pedal? What about the throne? What about a highhat?
I'm right there with you as not wanting to have to get one of those crappy kits, but in this case, that's about it. And when they're a few years older, they'll want/need something a tad bigger and better. That's when you go to a custom drum maker to have a mini kit built. Now that's slutty...imagine being 5-6 and having a custom pork pie or other kit.....

later,

m

Last edited by chetatkinsdiet; 27th July 2007 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 27th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
...imagine being 5-6 and having a custom pork pie or other kit.....
Well, that's what he's playing now (well, a Pearl Export with a Pork Pie snare.) It's just that he can't reach the pedals!

Ah, I thought it was a Gretsch, but it was a Ludwig I was looking at:

Ludwig 5-Piece Junior Children's/Kids Starter Drum Set - Black

Ages 3-8, but my 2 year old is in the 95th percentile for height and weight, so he's pretty big...Sold out, tho...Hmm...
Old 28th July 2007
Lives for gear

I own a yamaha Manu katche junior kit wich is superb. Don`t be fooled by the low price tag. That drum set sounds tits. Most jazz players I know love that litle drum kit...

BTW.... Go silver...
Old 28th July 2007
Lives for gear

Oh... That kit has a 16" bass drum, 10" tom, 13" floor tom, and a 12" snare. The bass drum can be mounted really low, or as high as a 20".
Old 28th July 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe still a bit big for a 2 year old, but I'd check the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz.

Oh, and some good ear protection for the little fella.
Old 29th July 2007
Lives for gear

Pearl Drums - Products

maybe that one of those is what you are looking for? They seem pretty good for the price and what they have to do...
Old 29th July 2007
Lives for gear

Man, I was actually thinking that this thread would have been about getting unique founds from micro-drumkits.

Hope the best in finding a good kit for your kid.
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey, guys, thanks for the replies!

I ended up going with this one: TKO 101 5-Piece Complete Junior Children's/Kids Starter Drum Set

The guys from Vintagedrum were awesome to deal with, I fully recommend! thumbsup
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Hey, guys, thanks for the replies!

I ended up going with this one: TKO 101 5-Piece Complete Junior Children's/Kids Starter Drum Set

The guys from Vintagedrum were awesome to deal with, I fully recommend! thumbsup

well its just for learning purposes right?? i dont think the quality of the drums matter that much just as long as he learns but then as he gets older, thats when you get the good stuff.

my father bought my little brother a drum set when he was 2 because he loved to bang out on them when we were at church. he grew out of them though and into soccer so fortunately he didnt go right for the expensive ones or it would have been a big waste of money. What's ironic about that is my brother plays select soccer now and it's very expensive to play that level of soccer in the US.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

i'll admit it, i have a lot of experience with kid's drum kits. i was in a band that played for kid's for a few years, and i was the drummer. i used a few toy kits, augmenting with toy steel drum, melodica etc...

i mostly used kits from First Act (they have a slightly upper brand called Mark II as well). i upgraded to a "grown-up" kick pedal and high hat stand, because my feet were crushing and bending the toy ones, otherwise it was a lot of fun and surprisingly durable. we played 8-10 gigs a week and i would lug the kit around in a big rubbermaid tote.

using it outside of the kid's band, the best part was using triggers and big hip hop drum sounds in night clubs.

- b

ps - if you have kids tween the age of 0-8 go get a CD from the toe jam puppet band, the debut CD was targetted more at pre-schoolers and is maybe less-fi, the second album (dance party) was recorded entirely by me and mixed on an API legacy

http://toejampuppetband.com
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

oh and the nice thing about the First Act/Mark II stuff is i never paid more than 50 bucks for a kit.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

They are hard to find because they are out of production, but I bought these new some years ago for my boy. Solid maple, professional quality kit: They are called King drums.
Old 8th September 2007
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
I would just look into one of those $69 all inclusive kits from ebay. The one with the throne and all isn't too bad. Again, you're really not looking for quality at this stage, just something that fits them. A friend of mine got one of these and it's working for his 3 year old daughter.

My 3yr old will sit on my drums and play for a bit, but she really goes for the mic/singing thing.

m

CB DRUMS has a childs kit - full useable kit and a decent price
james
Old 9th December 2008
Well my nearly 3 year old has trashed the 'first drum kit' (on the left) so he's getting the one (on the right) this afternoon as an upgrade.. Was less than $100.. His little brother (17 months) also likes to play it. The make is "Burswood" (UK) if the enthusiasm lasts I will upgrade them again to something less junky..
Attached Thumbnails
Children's drum sets...-kit-1.jpg   Children's drum sets...-kit-2.jpg  
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Man, I was actually thinking that this thread would have been about getting unique founds from micro-drumkits.

Hope the best in finding a good kit for your kid.
me too!

a couple months ago was Bulk Pickup in my neighborhood where everyone throws out their old junk. there was a couple of those First Act kits and I kept missing them, but I finally nabbed a kick, a tom, and a cymbal. the kick is actually pretty cool sounding if you beat the two sides with sticks. real loose and crazy sounding. can't wait to put it on a recording!
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

I just ordered the Ludwig Jr Kit from Midwest Percussion (cool guys!) for my son. I am about as excited to get it as he was to tell Santa he wanted it.
Old 11th December 2008
R3k
Gear Maniac

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but that is so cute!

Anyhow, my dad and my uncle actually bought me a kit when i was 5.. I vaguely remember banging away on it with no tutor...the next bunch of years are a blank. Next, I remember it being in the garage when I was 11. Some neighbor kids put holes in the skins by bashing the drums with the sharp ends of the kick drum feet. My father threw it out, thinking the -> skins with holes -> whole kit is dead.

Anyhow, im 29 now, properly picking up drums finally...wishing i had lessons when I was younger, but feeling that I have the right vibe and feel for it anyhow... whether or not tis is attributed to when i was 5 is another thing.

Bottom line... force your kids to either play piano or drums when they're growing up! heh And play them heaps of good records..

Cant help you on your question, but just wanted to contribute that.

Peace
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

We opened up the kit that "Santa" brought!! It actually sounds pretty good once you tune it up. Pics and sound clips to come.
Old 29th December 2008
V happy with the new kit..

Cousins 8 and 5 like it too

Both kids do about 5 mins on it each day, I nag the older one to always use his foot too. He counts himself in with the sticks - its v cute, I think he got that from the kids TV show - Imagination Movers (I like it too, it's kinda like the Monkies) too much injury risk to get them a HiHat at the moment.. but it will come..
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

hey all. we slaved over painting and assembling a kit for my daughters first birthday. I know she won't be able to do much with it yet but its there. the process was old crappy tama kit with black plastic wrap. Disassemble then paint and clear coat. Turn the small tom into a snare and large tom into a kick. These two pieces have some thump. I have a third thats all painted but need to assemble and mount legs. Today came too quickly. She really liked it though. She also liked the other thing we placed on the floor for her. Its been in the basement for some time. check it out!

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Children's drum sets...-img_0757.jpg   Children's drum sets...-img_0758.jpg   Children's drum sets...-img_0759.jpg  
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Ha yeah I bought this for my son - the crash is awesome! Real jazz buzz!

lakeshorephatty - wow man love the kit! Awesome.
Old 30th December 2008
Gear Nut

I bought to myself.. oh, I mean to my son...
Yamaha Manu Katche Jr set.

JK6F46AMK

I wanted decent set that I can record also.
It has seat and hh-stand and 2 cymbal stands. (I'm guitar player in real life, so I didn't have any drum hardware)
Basicly you just need cymbals and start rocking!

Maybe not for 2 years old but for little older kids and this is also OK for adults!

If you want to hear how they sound, check Peter Erskine on Badlands album.
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah that yamaha looks awesome! Sonor makes one to that's very good!
Old 3rd January 2009

Check out the little thunder kits! SUPER cheap and if you reskin them they don't sound bad at all!!! I use one all the time for breakbeats and jotting ideas down in smaller spaces!
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

To resurrect this thread. I have slightly different purposes. I would like a kit that is as small as possible to sample the sounds from. I don't expect it to sound like Bonham. I can't play drums very well but I can overdub sections to create new rhythms.

Don't laugh (or do, but with me and not at me!) but I've seen these on ebay:

CHILDRENS KIDS TOY DRUM KIT 6 DRUM SET ATTRACTIVE NEW on eBay (end time 12-Jul-09 18:11:20 BST)

Any good?
Old 15th September 2009
Gear Nut

manu katche junior kit from yamaha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search