PREMIER DRUMS?
Old 16th July 2007
500 series nutjob

PREMIER DRUMS?

anyone know much about PREMIER drums?
good, bad, okay, or junk?
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

Depends on the series, era and material used. Generally speaking, their kits are good thumbsup
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Premier was a BIG name a few years ago at Portugal. I don`t remember the model, but I know they have a very good one.

Just for the record.... Not my drum of choice.
Old 16th July 2007

the drummer in my band is sponsored by premiere.

he used to have a premiere endorsement kit we thought was good, and about two years ago they insisted on giving him their new model, he didn't want it because he liked his old one so much, but then we heard the new one and we couldn't be happier. I don't know the model, its made out of two different woods, the sound is loud with good body, in a similar way that a good violin has body to its sound.

That said, I don't think we've ever used the snare drum

also it should go without saying that they make a large range of drums.

narco
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

One of the oldest drum makers out there. British company....back in the 20s-30s many jazz players used them. In the 50s through 70s they were up there with the rest of the american companies. I've always thought that their chrome plated parts are the best in the industry. You'll never see a vintage Premier kit with flakey chrome. The story is that they either used, or shared the chrome plating company that worked with Jaguar. So, needless to say, it doesn't get any better. The drums have always sounded great. Most european rock players in the 60s used them. Ringo's kit just prior to their coming to america, Kenny Jones in the Faces, Keith Moon, etc, etc, etc....
The only "classic" line to watch out, or flat out run from, are the Resonator's. This was a really goofy concept that I won't go into here, but trust me, they sound like poo.
Sometime in the late 80s or early 90s, they were sold to Yamaha. Yammy did a great job of turning the company around. Their top line kits are still great....they typically employ a very slightly undersized shell that makes the head drape over the edges...a la, Tama's gong bass drums. It really makes their drums sing.

They have the usual starter and intermediate kits as well. I think most are Asian produced kits. I'd say a bit better than usual, and typcially priced just above their Tama and Pearl counterparts.

later,

m
Old 16th July 2007
500 series nutjob

i was offered a deal on a Artist Heritage Jazz kit.
about half of retail.
but it is not local so i can't set down and try them.
so all info is welcome.
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i was offered a deal on a Artist Heritage Jazz kit.
about half of retail.
but it is not local so i can't set down and try them.
so all info is welcome.
Hi Pan:

Personally, I'd recommend a nice maple Gretsch kit, but here is what I know about the artist heritage jazz kit is 6ply/6mm 100% Birch shell construction. The drum sizes are the smaller jazz sizes with an 18" bass drum. If the smaller sizes are what you are looking for then this kit seems like a nice kit and a lot of their endorser use the artist series kits.

I always wanted a nice birch kit like the Yamaha Recording Custom kits made famous in 80s and 90s. Those drums were birch shells, always sounded great, and many great drummers still make hit records using those drums today.
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Yep...nice little birch kit. Not the first thing that comes to mind when i think small jazz kits, but really, the type of wood used is a bit overrated (please no flames). As long as it quality wood and everything is constructed up to par, it should sound great.
In addition to the Yamaha RC's, there is also the original 80s Tama Superstars and a host of other fine birch kits. The Premier Genista's were really, nice birch drums from a few years back.

If they're cheap enough and you don't want to try to track down a vintage kit, then I say get em. You probably won't go wrong.

m
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

I had a Premier kit when I learned drums as a kid. It sounded really bad. But then again, my playing was really sloppy, so there ya go. What goes around comes around, I guess heh
Old 16th July 2007
500 series nutjob

i have a nice vintage ludwig set now that i plan to keep, it is the older six play maple without the enforcement rings.
very nice sound with the large twelve lug set-up.
it is a basic kit but dose the job and sound's great.
i was just looking at a smaller kit to set up for a different sound, smaller, and these got my attention.
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

My "go to" snare is a premier signia (maple). For the money it is hands down my idea of good.
Old 16th July 2007
500 series nutjob

here is a link i found
http://www.premier-percussion.com/catalogue.asp?id=299
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
here is a link i found
Premier Percussion - Home
thumbsup Nice looking finish but the Artist series are made in Asia, I believe so they're up there with similair brands. Whats the retail on these things? - Like 1800? So you're paying close 800 for the kit? For that money you might be able to grab one of those small Gretsch catalina jazz kits, they sound pretty killer Plus, Gretsch has a really solid resale value, that's something premier is inferiour in (at least here).
Old 16th July 2007
500 series nutjob

list is : $1,695.00 but they are be offered at 699.00
i do not really need them it just looked like a bargain and as i say i have been looking to get a small jazz set so they peaked my interest.
Old 16th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
list is : $1,695.00 but they are be offered at 699.00
i do not really need them it just looked like a bargain and as i say i have been looking to get a small jazz set so they peaked my interest.
Good deal. 700 bucks for a killer Premier kit heh
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityRobert View Post
thumbsup Nice looking finish but the Artist series are made in Asia, I believe so they're up there with similair brands. Whats the retail on these things? - Like 1800? So you're paying close 800 for the kit? For that money you might be able to grab one of those small Gretsch catalina jazz kits, they sound pretty killer Plus, Gretsch has a really solid resale value, that's something premier is inferiour in (at least here).
Hi Pan & Robert:

The Gretsch Catalina Club kit with the 18" kick, 8x12, 14x14, 5x14 snare is a great sounding kit for about $500. But the Gretsch Catalina Club kit is a mahogany wood kit which I think sounds closer to an old Ludwig kit than a Gretsch kit. It is really not an apples to apples comparison with the Premier Artist kit.

Also, I will say that I have been tempted to buy the Greatch Catalina Club kit because it has a really fat "vintage" (i.e., old Ludwig) sound IMHO (except for the snare which is a throw away). Also the kit can be bought for a really reasonable price. I personally don't know about the future resale price of this kit, but for $500 bucks you can't go wrong for a working club date kit and decent sounding jazz studio kit.
Old 19th July 2007
Gear Maniac

PREMIER, PREMIUM?

I know when Yamaha wanted to make a low end kit, the asked Premier to manufacture them since they weren't too busy doing their own stuff. Remember the Power V's? They Sucked! Yamaha moved manufacturing to Indonesia and changed the kits to Stage Customs which were ten times better. I don't know... The name brand guys, I mean the real name brand guys, Yamaha, Sonor, Tama. They make great kits from top to bottom. My humble opinion.

jl
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

They can be GREAT drums Pan. like any other drum, you get some variety from kit to kit.

I think chris Whitten would be the cat to ask... i think he's a premeir guy from long ago?

he posts here, maybe hit him w a PM.

I've played some KILLER premiers... especially an old be bop kit.

in the meantime, just find a super 400 ludwig snare in 5.5 and 6.5 and your 70% there on snares.... fill it out with a few other things ( deep wood, shalllow wood etc.) then just invest in aptrigga
Old 12th August 2007
Gear Head

I have bought and sold many kits, but my Premier Genista kit will NEVER be sold. Look for a Genista birch kit or a Signia Maple kit. Both would be perfect for a studio. Premier drums are top notch. I actually prefer my Premier kit to my new Ludwig Classic Maple kit. Better fit and finish AND sound than my Ludwigs.
Old 12th August 2007
500 series nutjob

well i decided to pass on the set.
but i am still looking for a small jazz kit, not sure what i will end up with.
thanks guys!
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don`t know how small you want it, but why don`t you check out the yamaha Manu Katche junior kit?

The snare isn`t the most stellar, so my kit is complemented with an Elvin Jones 14" snare with wood rims. I don`t think you`ll get more jazzier than that .

Everything else on that drum kit is a must.

You`re reading it from a guy who owns also a 30k$ custom gretsch kit and many others... So, I`m not raving about my only drum set.
Old 12th August 2007
500 series nutjob

thanks nandoanalog
i will keep my eyeopenfor a set.
Old 19th November 2008
Lives for gear

Phill Collins of Radiohead uses Premier. They get excellent reviews too. Their new line includes something called the Gen-X which uses 4 plys of maple and 2 of birch which I found unusual. I don't think there is another company that does the same thing.
Old 19th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post
Phill Collins of Radiohead.
:D !!
Old 20th November 2008
Lives for gear

Premier love here.

My kit is a Signia Maple.. 16x22/10/12/14/16 with a matching snare. I also found an old Black Shadow snare (6x14 birch with parallel strainer). Premier stuff is VERY underrated - a Signia or Genista kit will hang with anything out there.

Whoever mentioned the Signia snare as being great... SHUT UP!! Don't let the secret out.
"-)
Old 10th December 2008
Gear Addict

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Hey Pan,

If you are looking for birch on a budget, check out the new Yamaha Stage Custom Birch kits. I just picked up the smaller sized kit (20x17, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 5x14) for my "Wedding Kit" (small footprint/low volume) and the build quality is stunning. They are made in China, but you wouldn't know it if the badge didn't say so. Yess mounts, staggered seams, 6-7 ply birch construction and exactly the same hardware as my RC studio kit. I got the natural wood finish (highly recommended), and the clear lacquer finish is gorgeous. The shell packs show in the catalogs at $699 but I got mine in the SF Bay Area for $550 out the door.

I donated the use of the kit for a low volume show at the Hard Rock Cafe in SF last week, and mic'd up with Audix D-series mics and an SM-81 overhead the kit sounded punchy as hell, and the toms sounded twice their size.

Definitely worth checking out...

Dave/Suspect

Last edited by Suspects; 10th December 2008 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: over excited about this kit...
Old 11th December 2008
500 series nutjob

so far i am still with my cobbled Ludwig's which are sounding fine, but still looking just not sure as of yet.
i my just look for a nice vintage kit, but then again i keep looking at different boutique makers as well so i do not know yet what way i will go in the end.
for now i think i will just window shop for a bit.
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear

I have a Signia Marquis maple 20x18/12x10/14x14/16x14 (and an 10x9 I picked up later) no laquer, great jazz kit, not so much for rock. The shells are thin compared to other kits. The "marquis" mark means no re-rings and this is what I was looking for when I was searching for a jazz kit in my teens. they sing and have great open tone, bright, no matter what heads are on it. Pretty much useless for anything you'd want to THUMP on. although I often put the 16'er because it DOES has a thump and open-ness that I just haven't found in any other drum.

I also have a Genista Birch kit 24x18/12x11/14x12/16x14 laquer'd, that sounds much more rock-like - but also sings nice thin-ish shells but these have re-rings which give a bit more body, especially in the smaller toms. still usable for jazz, but not quite as beautiful as the Marquis. this is MY main kit.

Both kits are nice, but for pure jazz tonality, I'd search for a Signia Marquis, no laquer. You could find one for around $1000 nowadays

My 2 cents.
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear

I work with Premier drums a lot! Pretty much everyday. The Gen-X and Artist Maple kits sound good. I haven't been too impressed with the Artist Birch. They aren't terrible by any means, just not amazing.
Old 21st December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
no laquer, great jazz kit, not so much for rock.
That's what was used on most (all?) of Rage Against the Machine's records.. I'd say they do just fine for rock!
"-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search