The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any advice on specific drum sound
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Any advice on specific drum sound

Hy evbd) Everyone's timbre-trained ears are welcome) Been stuck for a while with finding an instrument to provide sound from attachment. Guess it can be something relatively small and high tuned somehow...Any ideas how to get this kick in real world? Don't wanna to go into samples in the first place...the plan is oldschool - find a good drummer and give him a proper sounding instrument to play)
Attached Files

kick2.wav (1.07 MB, 166 views)

Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Sounds like two heads. Also sounds like more than one microphone. There may be a room microphone going on there. If so, probably all the mics on that kit are part of this sound; the kick isn't solo'd. Or maybe the outside head is creating that part of the sound. My guess is that this drum is a 22. Maybe a 24. Probably not a small drum. Medium to medium large. The batter head sounds thicker than an Ambassador. Probably a two ply with built in muffling like a Powerstroke or Emad. It's hard to really know this kind of stuff for sure, but that's where I'd start. The finish is definitely red sparkle, though.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
Sounds like two heads. Also sounds like more than one microphone. There may be a room microphone going on there. If so, probably all the mics on that kit are part of this sound; the kick isn't solo'd. Or maybe the outside head is creating that part of the sound. My guess is that this drum is a 22. Maybe a 24. Probably not a small drum. Medium to medium large. The batter head sounds thicker than an Ambassador. Probably a two ply with built in muffling like a Powerstroke or Emad. It's hard to really know this kind of stuff for sure, but that's where I'd start. The finish is definitely red sparkle, though.
Many thanks, amazingly helpful! Although I synthesized it with modo drum, using 18 x 16 kick with the batter had tuned all over the top...And some samples in superior drummer sounds like this with the same size. Maybe it could be 20 or 22 tuned high, especially with 2 ply head-agree...

P.S. But red sparkle - that's for sure))
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Look at that. You actually said it's a sample in your first post. Sorry I missed that. It doesn't sound like a high tuning to me. It doesn't sound low either. What have you got for a kick right now?
Old 13th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
Look at that. You actually said it's a sample in your first post. Sorry I missed that. It doesn't sound like a high tuning to me. It doesn't sound low either. What have you got for a kick right now?
I have some no name 18 x 16 kick with Remo Coated Ambassador and resonant head with a hole cut....but for now I guess, for this sound and this size it should be all solid.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

That's definitely a small drum. But just start messing around with tuning and muffling and miking. Then try a thicker batter side head. Then try different drums.
Old 13th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerhor View Post
Hy evbd) Everyone's timbre-trained ears are welcome) Been stuck for a while with finding an instrument to provide sound from attachment. Guess it can be something relatively small and high tuned somehow...Any ideas how to get this kick in real world? Don't wanna to go into samples in the first place...the plan is oldschool - find a good drummer and give him a proper sounding instrument to play)
Try to put floor tom horizontally.

T.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Guru

There's A LOT of room sound going on in your posted sound. I think we're hearing some sympathetic ringing from toms, or that outside heads is kind high, and tuned up from the batter head.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear