The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cajone Recommendation
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Addict

Cajone Recommendation

I'm no drummer, but I'm looking for a Cajone, and know nothing about them. Any recommendations on a decent one? What should I look for? Budget is $250 or less.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

It's a very personal thing in terms of preference.

I went to a very large store that had about 15 different cajon models to choose from and I played them all before deciding on a Gon Bops model (Gon Bops is DW's percussion line).

I recommend you do the same, as there is a huge range of variation between cajon models.

PS - cajon tip - if you want to play it more like a drumset, rather than buying one of the expensive (and fairly unreliable in my experience) cajon pedals, simply turn a bass drum pedal around backwards and play it with your heel. You just need to swap out the beater for a very soft one, or cut a tennis ball and place it over top of the existing beater. It's not that hard to make the adjustment of playing with your heel.

I also highly recommend getting a foot tambourine. By doing these 2 things now you can use all 4 limbs and do much more complex and layered stuff. (though this may take you some time to develop if you are not already a drummer with 4 way independence)

Round it out with a few shakers and similar percussion toys and you're ready to rock.
Old 24th August 2020
Gear Addict

Thank you sir! I'll take a good look at the Gon Bops.
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Guru

Some cajons come with a set of 'snares' - wires that rest against the resonant surface on the inside and give a buzz or sizzle sound. Usually with some mechanism to mute them or unmute them. Which can be as simple as a strip of leather.

You may never use the snares, but on the other hand they really can add to the versatility of the sounds you can get out of them. I mean besides how and where you strike the cajon and the various muting techniques.

I have the Meinl Artisan Edition, and IMO it is a beautifully crafted instrument. Made in Spain. Sounds great and is well within your budget.

The other day I saw a country band doing a socially-distanced acoustic set and the drummer had a thing that was kind of like a "lap cajon" I think it is officially called a "slap top". It too is a wooden box, but instead of sitting on it and playing the front, you sit in a chair, put it between your knees and play on the top, which might be an easier transition if you are used to congas - or a table.

It is shaped like a "T", with the wide part over your knees and the vertical part between your legs. One cool thing about it is that since you are playing the top, you can have the port facing forwards.

Slap Top
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear