The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weigth on a Ludwig Legacy (3-ply) + Atlas mount
Old 25th July 2020
Here for the gear

Weigth on a Ludwig Legacy (3-ply) + Atlas mount

Hey everyone

I already did this post on 'drummersworld forum', but I want to gather as much thoughts on this as possible.

I would like to add a Ludwig LAPAM3 Atlas Mount Bracket on my bass drum. The bass drum is Ludwig Legacy 26” x 14” (3-ply with reinforcement rings -> the same as ludwig 60's- early 70's kits)

I would combine a the Atlas mount with the DW SM770S Bass Drum Cymbal Attach (small).
The Atlas mount will be installed at the lug that is highlighted with the red circle in the picture.

Would it hold the weight of the ride cymbal? Or will there be damage to the maple/popular/maple plywood shell of the bass drum over time?

The reason of this configuration is that I can’t get the ride cymbal in the position I like. Now I just use a DW flat base stand with a Ludwig LAC251CH Atlas Classic Cymbal Arm and Ludwig - LAPSC Atlas stacker cup, so I can put a crash above my ride on the same stand.

Reason of the atlas mount? I hate the look of a boom stand + it's extra weight to carry around.

The mount will be holding a 22" paiste 2002 ride (black label). The cymbal itself is about 2800 g.

Maybe a better question would be:
How much weight can a Ludwig Legacy 3-ply shell take without deformation or other damage over time?

Just want to be sure because it's a very expensive drum...
Attached Thumbnails
Weigth on a Ludwig Legacy (3-ply) + Atlas mount-img_20200720_213951.jpg   Weigth on a Ludwig Legacy (3-ply) + Atlas mount-img_20200720_214049.jpg  
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Addict

They are designed to hold the weight of a tom at the lug position so I would assume a cymbal would be just fine. The bass drum cymbal mounts on vintage 3 ply were never problematic but they were not at the lug.
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Addict

Try this!
Attached Thumbnails
Weigth on a Ludwig Legacy (3-ply) + Atlas mount-20ef425b-3ade-4269-8c0d-0285a03fc8a8.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear