The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about Tom microphones
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear

Question about Tom microphones

Hello all, I am upgrading my current drum mics. I had the 7-piece CAD set (~200$). I got a beta 52a for the kick, 57 for the snare, and my friend is letting me borrow his at4041’s for overheads.

MY QUESTION, is is bad to use Senmheiser e604s for rack toms, and an e904 on the floor Tom? I ask because bought two e604s but they didn’t have a third.
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Nut

No it's definitely not bad to use these mics on toms. Toyed a few times with the e604 on my toms but never used the e904. My educated guess is that you will not hear much of a difference in the mix.
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

i prefer using identical mics on all toms (due to speed of use) but for most applications, it doesn't matter at all (nor do the mics matter much: toms are some of the most simple instruments to catch).
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Maniac

The e904 has less bass, so I'd buy a third e604 or go the thicker way and get a D112 for the floor tom.
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Guru

I use different mics for my toms quite often.

A single floor tom especially can easily be different from the (2) rack toms since it is much larger and physically pretty far away.

I tend to rely on my overheads for a lot of the drum sound, and so for me, tom mics are for a little extra 'oomph' during the fills. I have used completely different mics for each drum on many occasions and gotten good results.

Maybe you don't want to mix radically different mic types, like I would not use an LDC on the small rack tom and a dynamic mic on the large rack tom. But within the same 'family', I think you can 'get away' with some different mics.

You probably have a whole bunch of other factors that are working in the direction of pulling the toms "back together". Such as they probably all have the same type heads on them, they are all bleeding onto the overheads, and they probably all have same or similar tuning intervals between the top and bottom heads.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I use different mics for my toms quite often.

A single floor tom especially can easily be different from the (2) rack toms since it is much larger and physically pretty far away.
I agree with the previous speaker that floor tom requires differen technique. First of all it is big and it is trembling, so rim-mounting techniques do not work here. For the floor tom I use condenser on a very heavy floor stand hanging 2-3 cm from drumhead (top only). I like the sound of AKG C5 - a handheld condenser but sounds good here and does not clip.

For tom-toms I like Shure PGA98H XLR and believe me I tried a lot of other mics. Also top heads only, rim mount. PGA98H XLR is excellent mic btw, I have 6 pieces.

Tom
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear