The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ludwig Supraphonic Date?
Old 6th July 2020
Here for the gear

Ludwig Supraphonic Date?

Hey everyone!

Back with another question that seems beaten to death but plagued with lots of varying answers.

I recently bought this Ludwig Supraphonic (https://imgur.com/gallery/AvUfVsd). It has a pointy style B/O badge with the serial number 2216962. The general consensus is pointy styled badges were phased out in the late 70’s but the serial number doesn’t match any of the guides online.

I’m asking to see if there has been any better knowledge found on dating Supraphonics versus the threads from years ago.

Thanks for the help!
Old 6th July 2020
I’m trying to date the one I just bought as well. Mine starts with 133XXXX (I forget the last 4 digits) but it does have 7 numbers, as does yours. According to this page

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-a-ludwig

Yours would prob be early 80s AFTER 1979 as this page has 2013537 as the last of the 70s (yours being slightly higher). Also according to the same page the “pointy” B&O badges only were used in the early 70s but some may have gotten used up later in the decade. According to this info mine would be 1977 or 1978. Mine has original heads so I just ordered coated ambassadors and hazy for the bottom. I have used a 1972 402 for the last 11 years and love it, tho my friend needs it back. I was only holding it for him. Was lucky to use it for that long. So naturally I ordered one the day he called for his lol.
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

I thought the serial numbers were useless on Ludwigs...? Story is the badges were in boxes, in no particular order. Maybe that was just the early Keystones...?

The pointy parallelograms were the first run, so I *think* that's as early as 69, but not too far into the 70's.

I used to remember this stuff. That was when I was just a drummer. This recording thing has taken a lot of brain space that was once occupied by drums...

If you look through the hole in the badge, you can often see the date stamped on the opposite inside wall. I have one of these (pointy badge) and there's the Ludalloy sticker in that spot, and I can't see a date. On some older Ludwigs I have, there's no badge and the date is visible.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear