The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me deconstruct a modern post-punk drum sound?
Old 4th July 2020
Help me deconstruct a modern post-punk drum sound?

Hey guys,

For those of you who record a lot of drums, this is probably a pretty simple question, but I've been fiddling around for the last couple of days and it's still eluding me.

I'm trying to set up some kits (using Superior Drummer, initially, since my drummer has an e-kit) with a fairly raw, post-punk influenced sound. The closest example I can find is Nadine Shah's track Fool:

So far, my attempts to get in the same ballpark as this sound have been a bit fruitless. I always end up in vaguely generic "rock" territory, without the starkness I'm looking for.

I'd love some advice on selecting kit pieces, adding processing, and tackling a rough mix here. I suspect it's super simple, and I'm just approaching the whole thing slightly wrongheadedly.
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Guru

Your video isn't playing, but I found the song elsewhere. That snare is fairly unique, and probably not something you're going to find in sample packs. (I say that while NEVER having used drum samples, so what do I know) The snare its self sounds like a vintage wood drum. I wouldn't doubt some sort of student model with less lugs. My buddy has a 6 lug 50s 6.5x14 Ludwig that has a similar sound. The tuning is on the medium low side with no muffling. A lot of those older drums have more rounded baring edges which 'mush' the sound a bit. That's what this one sounds like to me. I feel like the space wasn't super live, even though the snare has ring, it isn't bouncing around the space.

The BD also sounds like a vintage drum to me. Its probably 20" and tuned really slack. There's something in it, but not a ton of muffling. Seems like its barely touching the head(s). I also think the drummer buries the beater into the head.

The drummer uses 2 different hihats on the song, which is kinda cool.

Its a pretty interesting production and song. I'd never heard of Nadine Shah.
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Your video isn't playing, but I found the song elsewhere. That snare is fairly unique, and probably not something you're going to find in sample packs. (I say that while NEVER having used drum samples, so what do I know) The snare its self sounds like a vintage wood drum. I wouldn't doubt some sort of student model with less lugs. My buddy has a 6 lug 50s 6.5x14 Ludwig that has a similar sound. The tuning is on the medium low side with no muffling. A lot of those older drums have more rounded baring edges which 'mush' the sound a bit. That's what this one sounds like to me. I feel like the space wasn't super live, even though the snare has ring, it isn't bouncing around the space.

The BD also sounds like a vintage drum to me. Its probably 20" and tuned really slack. There's something in it, but not a ton of muffling. Seems like its barely touching the head(s). I also think the drummer buries the beater into the head.

The drummer uses 2 different hihats on the song, which is kinda cool.

Its a pretty interesting production and song. I'd never heard of Nadine Shah.
Thank you! That's super helpful.

Nadine Shah is a boss. Her producer, Ben Hillier, is fairly well-known. He's a drummer, so I imagine does a lot of experimentation with drums & recording to get interesting results.

I think you're right ... I'm unlikely to be able to get something like this from a hifi, polished-sounding drum sampler like Superior Drummer. It's intentionally pretty gritty.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmarshall View Post
Thank you! That's super helpful.

Nadine Shah is a boss. Her producer, Ben Hillier, is fairly well-known. He's a drummer, so I imagine does a lot of experimentation with drums & recording to get interesting results.

I think you're right ... I'm unlikely to be able to get something like this from a hifi, polished-sounding drum sampler like Superior Drummer. It's intentionally pretty gritty.
Its always a good time coming up with cool setups like that.
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Its always a good time coming up with cool setups like that.
I just pegged you're running a business doing remote drum recording. Do you have any interest in picking up projects that want a bit of experimentation like this?

I've been recording drums remotely with a really talented fellow, using Superior Drummer & a MIDI drum kit. For the pop stuff with standard sounds it works really well, but I've got a few tracks that I think need a more experimental approach, and can't realistically be tackled with MIDI. I've been looking for a drummer with the right chops locally, but remote could easily work.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmarshall View Post
I just pegged you're running a business doing remote drum recording. Do you have any interest in picking up projects that want a bit of experimentation like this?

I've been recording drums remotely with a really talented fellow, using Superior Drummer & a MIDI drum kit. For the pop stuff with standard sounds it works really well, but I've got a few tracks that I think need a more experimental approach, and can't realistically be tackled with MIDI. I've been looking for a drummer with the right chops locally, but remote could easily work.
Yeah, its become a bigger part of my business in the time of corona. I'd love to do some work for you.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear