The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kelly SHU Bass Drum Microphone Shockmount vs. traditional floor stand
Old 3rd July 2020
Kelly SHU Bass Drum Microphone Shockmount vs. traditional floor stand

I'm tired of my kick mic floor stand getting kicked (no pun intended) around.

I was about to buy the low profile k&m stand when I noticed this Kelly SHU kick mic suspension system and wondered if anyone had experience with it in a tracking context.

I can easily see the convenience for live applications, but it SEEMS like all those mounting connections and cables could very easily add rattles and other unwanted noises that would never be noticed on stage, but may be during tracking.

If you've used this setup in a tracking environment I'd love to hear your thoughts.

thank you kindly!
Old 5th July 2020
update:
I ordered one
I’ll let you know how it goes
Old 18th July 2020
Gear Guru

I'll be interested to see what you think.
Old 18th July 2020
Commitment issues

So I picked up the more affordable 'composite' version of the Kelly Shu kick mount at half the price of the pro version which I installed last weekend.

So far I like it.

Here are a few of my observations.

The installation is a thing. It's a little stressful making cuts to the supplied length of rubber bungee cord type material, as those cuts obviously cannot be undone (maybe less stressful for those with a history working with tape? :D ) , but in the end it was forgiving enough to get a successful setup without wasting more than an inch or two.. and I've still got a few inches left over. If I were to get another (which I've already considered) I'd probably order an extra length of the cord for safety, even though it'd probably just sit around until I wanted to try the unit with a different mic and/or positioning.

Another thing to consider is that you have to commit to a position. Having only recently started trying to work on my drum kit sound there is a fairly long list of mic placement techniques (not to mention microphones!) that I'd still like to experiment with, and kick-in is no exception. Knowing that I'd be married to the chosen placement until I ordered spare cord and was ready to redo the installation process, I finally took the time to have someone else (my wife) play the kick while I messed with kick-in placement for my Beta52. I chose the B52 for use with the mount because I have never felt the urge to use that mic anywhere else, so it seemed like a safe choice. Listening to the mic as I moved it around the shell was a long overdue exercise, and surprised me in that I prefer it much closer to the batter head than I had previously considered. Funny how important taking time to listen really is eh?

It's probably obvious, but maybe still worth mentioning that the fixed nature of this mount means that microphones with different form factors cannot necessarily be swapped out. Additionally, the installation guide mentions specific limitations when using the composite version with B52s in forward/back depth movement via the slide rail adjustment thingy due to the placement of the xlrm connector, suggesting the pro model for use with b52s instead. It's not obvious to me how the pro version's mounting system is different from the pics online, but I'll take them at their word. While this is probably something I might have liked to know when making my purchase decision, it would probably have inspired me to splurge for the pro, which in the end would not have been necessary because as I mentioned up top, I'm happy with the product. Still, I thought this worth mentioning for other lowly B52 users .. unfortunately it looks like my wife tossed the packaging which included the docs or I'd include them here.

The manufacturer's site has some good photo examples of interior and exterior installation positioning options as well as a page dedicated specifically to installation and use with a B52 (which I'd somehow missed until just now).

Anyways.. (sorry for the long tale)..
After finding my preferred position, (an inch or two from the batter contact point apparently) I installed the mic onto the mount and tried maneuver it all back into position. I almost always use gator quick release adapters, but in this case it added too much distance between the mount and the mic to work in this situation. As mentioned, the fixed and specific nature of this mounts positioning makes it a less than ideal candidate for mic swapping anyways..

Even without the quick release, it was still a bit challenging to find the best orientation of the mount inside the 22" vistalite shell for the placement I wanted. The good news is it's a pretty flexible unit in terms of positioning, and is likely going to be workable in most scenarios. This is the part where I probably could have used the b52 specific tips.. but I was apparently too excited to explore the materials online. O well. Thankfully it worked out (spoiler alert).

Once I decided on the orientation of the mount inside the drum I began installation, starting with fastening the leather hook loops to the lug screws. Aside from the standard back pain that accompanies an old man contorting to work inside a kick drum, a couple of the lug screws were just too short to thread the lugs with the two added layers of thin leather, but fortunately just swapping a couple of lugs helped me overcome this issue. I should probably keep spare lugs and screws anyways. I installed all 8 of the loops that came included and then began cutting and assembling the mounting cords. They suggest cutting at 50% of the distance you need from the loop to the mount and that may even be a touch generous. There were two mounting holes that required a shorter length of cord than the hook attachments could support, but this was easily worked around by threading one cord through two holes (see top two holes in one of the attached pics). This and a few other tips for mounting can be found in the docs and on the manufacturer's website. All-in-all, I find it to be a pretty flexible unit positioning wise.

There was some fine tuning required, including trimming one or two of the cords slightly to address sagging, but before too long I was able to get it into a nice stable position, though admittedly an inch or two lower than I might have liked. This could maybe have been addressed by flipping the installation. I actually installed my unit "upside down", though technically speaking I believe it is intended to be used in pretty much any orientation. I did this to because there was no room to place it right-side-up without interfering with my kick muffling due to the ~4" rise when mounting the B52 vertically. As as result of this positioning compromise, I have to tilt the mic if I want it to point it at the batter contact point, and was worried that this (off axis?) placement would compromise the performance of the mic, but to my relief I heard no immediately audible difference and was happier with the sound than I had been using my floor stand, probably just because I took the time to find a placement I preferred, and thankfully the mount positioning didn't negatively affect the sound to my ears. If it had I'd probably have ordered a spare set of cord and hooks and tried again. Another mic with a different form factor and mount articulation might present significantly fewer positioning challenges. A quick check attaching my re20 to the shu and maneuvering it into position makes it seem like it might have been easier to position, but each mic and kick is going to be different.

Once installed it's been very stable. There are no parts rattling around and no new resonances or other audible vibrations. I LOVE getting rid of another floor stand. I recently picked up an RE20 to see if I would prefer it to my B52, and of course, now I prefer both (B52 for bounce, RE20 for punch), but at least now there's one less mic stand for me to kick every time I walk by. T-T ..Knowing me, by next year at this time I'll probably have kelly shu'd a D12 and fet47 in there too. (not really! ..unless I win the lottery, then, absolutely!)

If I end up keeping both mics in the kick I can absolutely see getting another kelly shu mount because I love how it cleans up my little space. Since I removed the reso/front head for recording I just run the cable right into the shell, but with both heads installed the manual suggests a couple of different options, including supporting the cable or running it out the shell vent to prevent contact with the front head via the port hole. I'll probably try recording with the front head again at some point now that I know I like the b52 so much closer to the batter, just to see how that sounds.

I guess this is a lot of words for a $60 purchase, but I've gotten so much support and guidance around here that I felt it only fair to try to give a little back.

I love refining my workflow and cleaning up my space (aka: half of our total available bedrooms!), and every floor stand gone is a win. It gives me similar joy to replacing a floor stand with another latch lake xtra boom (love those damn things!).

Verdict so far:

Pros: It reduces clutter, maintains consistent and repeatable positioning, seems to operate silently and performs as expected.

Cons: it's work to install, relatively fixed in it's positioning (apart from the single plane of forward/back depth adjustment, older B52's aside apparently) and not necessarily possible to use a single installed mount with different mics, depending on form factor.

I'm happy, and could easily see picking up another for the re20 if that ends up living on kick drum. From what I can tell, I'd be using the exterior mounting method with the RE20, which would put the capsule ~50% into the kick.

.. but before that I should probably stop buying **** and write some damn songs.

Happy Weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Kelly SHU Bass Drum Microphone Shockmount vs. traditional floor stand-img_7997.jpg   Kelly SHU Bass Drum Microphone Shockmount vs. traditional floor stand-img_7998.jpg   Kelly SHU Bass Drum Microphone Shockmount vs. traditional floor stand-img_7999.jpg   Kelly SHU Bass Drum Microphone Shockmount vs. traditional floor stand-img_8001.jpg   Kelly SHU Bass Drum Microphone Shockmount vs. traditional floor stand-img_8002.jpg  

Kelly SHU Bass Drum Microphone Shockmount vs. traditional floor stand-img_8003.jpg  

Last edited by themiracle; 18th July 2020 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: forgot the pics
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear