The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Choosing hi hat stand for the studio
Old 10th June 2020
  #1
Choosing hi hat stand for the studio

Hi guys,

I've got an old pearl hi hat stand with a set of cracked paiste 2002 heavy hats.

I've just picked up a set of light (987g/1007g) zildjian hats from the 70s which sounds pretty 'washy' comparatively, and it's making me wonder if the stand might be a place to look for improved articulation and overall sound for tracking.

Full disclosure, I'm not much of a drummer, just a recordist and independent artist trying to improve my home drum kit sound. The heavy paiste hats can sound a bit clangy, and I always though the crack(s) would make them sound a little trashy and less articulate.. which is why I sought to replace (or just augment) them with the Zildjian set. Now that I've got what should be a very different set of hats, I'm working on finding a desirable range of sounds.. and I guess I just wonder how likely a new stand is to deliver better sound and performance for recording.. or is this more likely a fools errand and money poorly spent?

Since I'm a pretty poor drummer (but getting better every day) I'm hoping for hardware with a solid feel & quiet performance that helps me improve my touch, and gives me access to a wider variety of sounds and articulation as I continue to work on my skills.

a) will a stand contribute anything of value towards my mission?
b) what stands would you recommend?

Thank you!
Old 11th June 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Poopypants's Avatar
 

Is your stand falling over? Is it making noise? Is there a mechanical issue anywhere that you can't fix? If the answer is "no," then save your money. If you don't like the new hats, try some others. With Zildjians, you can try others that are the same model and size, and they can sound totally different. Paistes are more consistent. I never really think about hats being washy, because I'm not usually letting them for very long. I'm a big fan of 15" A Zildjians from the 60's and 70's. I have two sets, and one set is thin while the other is VERY thin. I think the combo I use most often is the two bottoms(!) which, as a set, are still thinner than modern hats. They're pretty dark, with a softish articulation. Very friendly sounding.
Old 11th June 2020
  #3
Gear Guru
 

to me, a hi-hat stand is about 'action' (assuming it isn't falling over as in Poopypants' example)

Unlike a kick pedal, you don't have gravity or inertia working in your favor - quite the opposite, actually - so a hi-hat pedal should have a strong enough spring to open the hat for you after you step on it and smooth enough action so you can close it again without too much effort. That's pretty much it. Most decent stands feature some adjustability in this area, so I rarely find a name brand hi-hat that I can't work with.

I can't imagine much of a "sound" difference coming from the stand. There are so many different sizes, brands and types of cymbals that any contribution from the stand would be minuscule by comparison.

I have a newer Tama Stand and and old Camco stand. The Tama is really sturdy and robust and the Camco really light weight. But they "play" about the same. Both my main drum kits are Ludwigs, and the stands are just stands I picked up along the way. Even as a drummer, hi-hat stands just don't "interest" me that much.

Quote:
and I always though the crack(s) would make them sound a little trashy and less articulate
.
yes, but don't think of this as a bad thing! It's another "voice".

Stick with the "augment" approach. Do a little search on "trash hats". (actually, you had better put "cymbals" in there too! ) They can be anything from broken cracked garage sale finds to specially made devices that are quite expensive.

Often they are on X -hat stands - stands that either don't open or open remotely on a cable mechanism. Meaning you can mount them anywhere - like on the right side of the kit. They make for nice off beat accents, they make for special-purpose 'rides'. You could set up both your hi-hat cymbal sets at once, The new ones on the actual high hat stand and the broken ones on a boom arm or an X hat.

In this video, Benny Greb is selling a special purpose-made Trash Hat from the company that he endorses, but many drummers make trash hats out of, well, trash. (I have one made of an old hubcap.) Your cracked cymbals might work for this purpose. Or maybe one of them plus a pie plate would be the ideal.

But in any case check it out- you can see some interesting musical ideas that can come from having an 'alternative' sound available.


Old 17th June 2020
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
to me, a hi-hat stand is about 'action' (assuming it isn't falling over as in Poopypants' example)

Unlike a kick pedal, you don't have gravity or inertia working in your favor - quite the opposite, actually - so a hi-hat pedal should have a strong enough spring to open the hat for you after you step on it and smooth enough action so you can close it again without too much effort. That's pretty much it. Most decent stands feature some adjustability in this area, so I rarely find a name brand hi-hat that I can't work with.

I can't imagine much of a "sound" difference coming from the stand. There are so many different sizes, brands and types of cymbals that any contribution from the stand would be minuscule by comparison.

I have a newer Tama Stand and and old Camco stand. The Tama is really sturdy and robust and the Camco really light weight. But they "play" about the same. Both my main drum kits are Ludwigs, and the stands are just stands I picked up along the way. Even as a drummer, hi-hat stands just don't "interest" me that much.

.
yes, but don't think of this as a bad thing! It's another "voice".

Stick with the "augment" approach. Do a little search on "trash hats". (actually, you had better put "cymbals" in there too! ) They can be anything from broken cracked garage sale finds to specially made devices that are quite expensive.

Often they are on X -hat stands - stands that either don't open or open remotely on a cable mechanism. Meaning you can mount them anywhere - like on the right side of the kit. They make for nice off beat accents, they make for special-purpose 'rides'. You could set up both your hi-hat cymbal sets at once, The new ones on the actual high hat stand and the broken ones on a boom arm or an X hat.

In this video, Benny Greb is selling a special purpose-made Trash Hat from the company that he endorses, but many drummers make trash hats out of, well, trash. (I have one made of an old hubcap.) Your cracked cymbals might work for this purpose. Or maybe one of them plus a pie plate would be the ideal.

But in any case check it out- you can see some interesting musical ideas that can come from having an 'alternative' sound available.



Thank you for all of the kind feedback. I'm with you on augmenting. As soon as I got the new hats they sounded different enough that I wanted to keep both sets up, at least for a while. Thanks for the tip on the X hat stand!

The stand I've got seems quiet enough, so it's probably fine. No adjustable tension, but I'm not sure that matters.

Cheers!
Old 18th June 2020
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
Is your stand falling over? Is it making noise? Is there a mechanical issue anywhere that you can't fix? If the answer is "no," then save your money. If you don't like the new hats, try some others. With Zildjians, you can try others that are the same model and size, and they can sound totally different. Paistes are more consistent. I never really think about hats being washy, because I'm not usually letting them for very long. I'm a big fan of 15" A Zildjians from the 60's and 70's. I have two sets, and one set is thin while the other is VERY thin. I think the combo I use most often is the two bottoms(!) which, as a set, are still thinner than modern hats. They're pretty dark, with a softish articulation. Very friendly sounding.

Thank you for this!

Definitely plenty of places to put my money without spending unnecessarily.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump