The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any way to add hihat pedal to octapad1?
Old 6th June 2020
Gear Head
Any way to add hihat pedal to octapad1?

Hi all,
I have a roland octapad1 pad-8 that’s been getting a workout triggering Logic x drums lately.

It’s set up with a kt-9 kick trigger and dual trigger snare pad but I’d really love to add a hihat pedal, like a fd-9 or similar. I have plenty of trigger inputs free on the octapad but I get the sense it’s not as simple as just plugging in to these, unless I’m wrong?

Can anyone enlighten me on how these things work? What is the pedal actually doing, what does it send out? What inputs does it talk to on a module and if the octapad is a no go, is there a dedicated trigger unit that I could add to my setup that I could use without ditching the octapad as my main unit?

Thanks for your wisdom

Last edited by Oompa; 6th June 2020 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 7th June 2020
Gear Head
Okay, so thought I’d answer my own question for anyone wondering about this.

A lot of googling came up with nothing until I started looking at midi expression pedals. It seems the hihat pedal acts like a midi continuous controller and can also output pedal hat sounds depending on the speed the pedal is pressed, or at least some work that way. Combined with a trigger pad, the cc messages dictate how open the hat decay is.

Turns out that audiofront make a converter that can turn a roland hihat pedal into midi cc messages for $49usd. So the plan would be to bypass the octapad and go straight into logic via usb.

So that’s the plan. I’ll get started and report any issues
Old 7th June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa View Post
Okay, so thought I’d answer my own question for anyone wondering about this.

A lot of googling came up with nothing until I started looking at midi expression pedals. It seems the hihat pedal acts like a midi continuous controller and can also output pedal hat sounds depending on the speed the pedal is pressed, or at least some work that way. Combined with a trigger pad, the cc messages dictate how open the hat decay is.

Turns out that audiofront make a converter that can turn a roland hihat pedal into midi cc messages for $49usd. So the plan would be to bypass the octapad and go straight into logic via usb.

So that’s the plan. I’ll get started and report any issues
please do

I have an Octapad Pad-8 that I still use. I have an old HatKat pedal that has 3 outputs - a switch, a trigger, and a controller. I tend to replace triggered cymbals with real cymbals in the final recording but it would be nice to have a hi-hat response for Playability.

the Audiofront stuff looks like it would be perfect.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear