The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pearl Session Studio Select shell pack thoughts?
Old 12th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Pearl Session Studio Select shell pack thoughts?

I'm thinking about picking up a Pearl Session Studio Select shell pack with a 24" kick, 13" rack and 16" and 18" floor toms. They look great in the barnwood finish and the clips I've heard have been really nice. Anyone have a set that could give some input? I'm thinking of the kit I listed as opposed to the 22" kick version. I wanted to get a bigger and boomier kick sound. I think the 22" will be more focused but something about the 24" kick has me hooked. I already have a Pearly Export kit with a 22" kick, so this new one would be a little different.

I had also looked at the Gretsch Renown as well but I'm leaning toward the Pearl instead.
Old 12th May 2020
Gear Guru

I personally never liked Pearl tom hardware, but if you're already used to it you should be fine. I've recorded some nice sounding high end Pearls and they sounded good. 13" toms are sometimes tricky to get sounding right.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I have always thought the Session series has been seriously underrated... but I’m biased as a big fan of Pearl in general.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

To kind of finish off this thread...
I ended up getting a used Ludwig Classic Maple kit. A friend was selling it and I knew how it sounded first hand from recording it last year. It's very well made and sounds great. No regrets. If i had extra money, I'd probably get a Pearl Masters Maple next, but I have no room for it currently.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear