The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice for new drum machine
Old 2nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Advice for new drum machine

Looking to get a new drum machine and pretty curious of your feedback.

So far, I ve played mostly with a tr8 and a volca bass. Great little combo which can go pretty deep once you get a hold of it.

Now I used it in combination of an elektron A4 and more recently I added an octatrack.

I guess I m going down the rabbit hole of new hardware! The main limitations pushing me for a new drum machine are the lack of Sonic diversity but more importantly the 16 or 32 step limits and the lack of saving capability. I m doing more and more of my drums on the OT but end up running out of channels pretty quick. Also I make a track, play and record it once and it's gone.

If money was no issue I would just get a rytm, but a brand new one is really expensive and even the mkî are not so cheap nor easy to come by.

I m thinking of getting either a model samples or cycles, volca beats and/or kick(using the sequencer of the ot), or maybe a digitakt? TR 8s looks interesting but not sure how hard it will be to get it controlled for pattern chain with the ot.

What would be your take? Any other recommendations for another drums ? Is it a pain in the ass to sequence an external drum machine with the ot?

Thanks
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear
You could look at the MPCs. Very flexible re resolution and length of sequence. Takes a time investment to learn, so it may be overkill for you, but an MPC will do a lot. You can also load whatever samples you want into it, or make your own.

MPC One is more affordable (competitive with Digitakt), MPC Live II costs more, has a battery and speakers, and is a little bigger/heavier.

Check out some Youtubes, download the manual, see what you think.

Good luck!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear