The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the best of low-budget Drum Pads?
Old 12th March 2020
What is the best of low-budget Drum Pads?

I am looking to get one for live, acoustic, blues type projects.

I've been using Maschine and MPC 2000xl but,
decided to try real drum pads with sticks. (For authentic liveliness)

Um, I am looking for a low budget one as a starter,
max 200 USD... probably will get second hand one.

Here is my list drawn,

-Kat KTMP1
-Alesis Percpad
-Alesis Samplepad
-Alesis Samplepad 4 (I don't know but to me, the 2 thin shoulder pads look pretty pointless and way too thin but are those good from drummer's point of view?)

slightly over my budget but very tempting:
-Alesis Samplepad Pro
-Boppad

Anyone who has experience with any of these models?

Also, I wonder, what difference there is between Alesis samplepad (I guess it is an older model since shops don't sell it anymore) and Alesis sample 4.

Any given experience notes would be really helpful

Thanks in advance!

Probably I will use it at home mostly,
also mostly I would use it 80% as a midi controller to trigger Battery, EZ drummer, etc.

Some people complain about Kat product being laggy with some of the VSTis.
And I am worried about latency. Also I am not really interested in factory sounds in the Drum pads.

Being able to play my own samples would be really good but it would not be my deal-breaker.
Old 13th March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
-Alesis Samplepad 4 (I don't know but to me, the 2 thin shoulder pads look pretty pointless and way too thin but are those good from drummer's point of view?)
yes they are actually useful. Because they are along the top, you can angle the stick to hit them with the shaft. i.e. you don't have to hit them perfectly dead on with the tip of the drumstick "amidships". This a lot how you might strike the hi-hat or a cymbal

The Samplepad allows you to load your own samples. It' a bit un-intuitive but it does work.
Old 13th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
yes they are actually useful. Because they are along the top, you can angle the stick to hit them with the shaft. i.e. you don't have to hit them perfectly dead on with the tip of the drumstick "amidships". This a lot how you might strike the hi-hat or a cymbal

The Samplepad allows you to load your own samples. It' a bit un-intuitive but it does work.
Ah! maybe I was not aware of Drummer's way of hitting the pads, now I get how it refers to hitting the hi-hat (The shoulder pads are slightly higher than 2 big ones). Thanks! I am putting my eyes on Sample Pad 4 for sure. I wonder if Bop Pad could load up your own samples?

Also, one thing that bothers me is that, with Maschine and MPC, finger drumming is fine, but I get to double-trigger/ cross-trigger samples due to my fat fingers... so yeah.
Old 13th March 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
Also, one thing that bothers me is that, with Maschine and MPC, finger drumming is fine...
The samplepad is made for playing with sticks. They require a certain amount of force to respond. I think if you tried to trigger them with your fingers, you would be very sore afterwards.

My Samplepad 4 has an external trigger input and I attached a KAT foot pedal. To me, the KAT is the only 'spring' type pedal with a decent feel. Generally I prefer something where a real pedal strikes a pad. On the inexpensive side, there are footboards with a little target pad - you use a regular drum pedal and some of them you use with a "reverse shaft". Well inexpensive, assuming you already have a kick pedal. See the image below.

The downside of such self-contained pad kits for me, is their size. I am a drummer used to drums that are 13 -16" in diameter each. It sometimes feels kind of 'cramped' to play on such a mini-kit. I am actually keeping an eye on the want ads for a more full-sized kit.

But if you are not already used to acoustic drums, that may not bother you at all.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the best of low-budget Drum Pads?-roland-kd-7.jpg  
Old 13th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
The samplepad is made for playing with sticks. They require a certain amount of force to respond. I think if you tried to trigger them with your fingers, you would be very sore afterwards.

My Samplepad 4 has an external trigger input and I attached a KAT foot pedal. To me, the KAT is the only 'spring' type pedal with a decent feel. Generally I prefer something where a real pedal strikes a pad. On the inexpensive side, there are footboards with a little target pad - you use a regular drum pedal and some of them you use with a "reverse shaft". Well inexpensive, assuming you already have a kick pedal. See the image below.

The downside of such self-contained pad kits for me, is their size. I am a drummer used to drums that are 13 -16" in diameter each. It sometimes feels kind of 'cramped' to play on such a mini-kit. I am actually keeping an eye on the want ads for a more full-sized kit.

But if you are not already used to acoustic drums, that may not bother you at all.
Right, and yes, I am planning to record the MIDI with drum sticks! though I have never learned how to play drums, I would love to try, for more organic groove? I guess

Thanks for your kind reply, I am deciding between Bop pad and Sample pad 4 (probably second hand) with my budget limit

And yes, I would love to add kick trigger later once I feel the need !
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear