The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland SPD SX, Alesis Strike Multipad, or Nord Drum 3P for studio triggering
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Roland SPD SX, Alesis Strike Multipad, or Nord Drum 3P for studio triggering

I'm in the market for a multipad and considering the SPD SX, Strike Multipad, as well as the Nord Drum 3p. Tried out the Strike and SPD SX at the store, both had similar stick response. Planning on using in the studio for triggering drum machines, though might end up using internal engine for loading up samples and playing those as well. Space is pretty limited, so unfortunately no room for an e-drum kit (tho I would like to use at least a kick trigger).

One thing that wasn't clear on the strike is whether you can choose different midi channels per pad or not?

The other thing that wasn't clear on any of them (checked out the manuals), is whether the midi channel and note settings are saved on a kit by kit basis or globally. In some cases I might want to trigger one external machine vs. another where changing the channel/note number all the time would be a bit of a pain.

FWIW, I'm a guitarist, but can play a little drums (learned in school band as a kid). It's generally easier for me to come up with rhythms using sticks rather than finger drumming or playing a keyboard.

Would love to hear your opinions, especially now that the Alesis Strike Multipad just had a new firmware update.

​​​​​​​Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
The SPD-SX is pretty much industry standard amongst drummers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Anyone with insights re: the midi channel questions vis-a-vis presets, and just general experience between those products?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondom22 View Post
I'm in the market for a multipad and considering the SPD SX, Strike Multipad, as well as the Nord Drum 3p. Tried out the Strike and SPD SX at the store, both had similar stick response. Planning on using in the studio for triggering drum machines, though might end up using internal engine for loading up samples and playing those as well. Space is pretty limited, so unfortunately no room for an e-drum kit (tho I would like to use at least a kick trigger).

One thing that wasn't clear on the strike is whether you can choose different midi channels per pad or not?

The other thing that wasn't clear on any of them (checked out the manuals), is whether the midi channel and note settings are saved on a kit by kit basis or globally. In some cases I might want to trigger one external machine vs. another where changing the channel/note number all the time would be a bit of a pain.

FWIW, I'm a guitarist, but can play a little drums (learned in school band as a kid). It's generally easier for me to come up with rhythms using sticks rather than finger drumming or playing a keyboard.

Would love to hear your opinions, especially now that the Alesis Strike Multipad just had a new firmware update.

​​​​​​​Thanks!
i just bought the Strike Multipad / Roland KT-10 kick pedal / Roland FD-9 hat pedal ... the KT-10 worksand feels great imho .. the FD-9 - i go it working but am going to buy the discontinued Alesis Realhat pedal as the Roland works but rough setup .. i talked to Alesis this morning .. the Roland is a different kind of pedal than theirs ..

i went with the Alesis as the Yammy and SPD (NORD just not in my wheelhouse, making small kit) ... the Yammy and Roland are older tech (still good) but i wanted something that was going to be updated ... so the Strike Multipad hit the spot for me ... only had it for about aweek now ... still evaluating .. had to do some Pad Feel and Sensitivity configs but pretty good so far ...

i had seen / used the SPD in a studio environment ... just a drummer playing sounds, nothing crazy ... but 4 GB mempry and a couple hundred bucks to up that to 32Gb .. or did it yourself - don't break it !!! ha

my thread of Small Kit ... you can follow along there as i figure things out ..

happy to help how i can !!!

cheers john
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i just bought the Strike Multipad / Roland KT-10 kick pedal / Roland FD-9 hat pedal ... the KT-10 worksand feels great imho .. the FD-9 - i go it working but am going to buy the discontinued Alesis Realhat pedal as the Roland works but rough setup .. i talked to Alesis this morning .. the Roland is a different kind of pedal than theirs ..

i went with the Alesis as the Yammy and SPD (NORD just not in my wheelhouse, making small kit) ... the Yammy and Roland are older tech (still good) but i wanted something that was going to be updated ... so the Strike Multipad hit the spot for me ... only had it for about aweek now ... still evaluating .. had to do some Pad Feel and Sensitivity configs but pretty good so far ...

i had seen / used the SPD in a studio environment ... just a drummer playing sounds, nothing crazy ... but 4 GB mempry and a couple hundred bucks to up that to 32Gb .. or did it yourself - don't break it !!! ha

my thread of Small Kit ... you can follow along there as i figure things out ..

happy to help how i can !!!

cheers john
How you diggin the Strike Multipad? The thing I'm still trying to find out is:
- Whether you can select a different midi channel for each pad/trigger, or do they all have to be on the same global midi channel?
- If the new firmware has made the pitch shifting better at all?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
How you diggin the Strike Multipad? The thing I'm still trying to find out is:
- Whether you can select a different midi channel for each pad/trigger, or do they all have to be on the same global midi channel?
- If the new firmware has made the pitch shifting better at all?
i have loaded 1.2 firmware ..

Midi .. there is a Global Midi Channel in Utility Menu / and you can set the Midi Note Output in the Pad- Output Menu .. but i do not see a way to have more than One Channel of Midi at the SameTime .. if thats what you mean ??

how are you using pitch shifting ?? i did not know how the pitch shifting was before ... what can i try for you ??

cheers john
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i have loaded 1.2 firmware ..

Midi .. there is a Global Midi Channel in Utility Menu / and you can set the Midi Note Output in the Pad- Output Menu .. but i do not see a way to have more than One Channel of Midi at the SameTime .. if thats what you mean ??

how are you using pitch shifting ?? i did not know how the pitch shifting was before ... what can i try for you ??

cheers john
Ya, on the SPD-SX, you can assign each pad to it's own midi channel. This is useful when controlling another drum machine for example that has it's kick on channel 1, snare on channel 2, etc. so that when you edit go to edit the sequence, you can play each part of the kit as different pitches (ie kick is channel 1, note goes from C1-C4...and thus you can have different pitched kicks playing back from that drum machine, or if it has fx per channel like filters, you can modulate the filter per channel).

As far as pitch shifting/time stretching samples, I tend to like to do that like an old school sampler. From the demos it seems like the SPD is a bit better for this, but was curious about the Strike's capability. Say I loaded in a jazz guitar chord I played, and wanted to pitch it up and down with different pads like you would on an mpc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ya, on the SPD-SX, you can assign each pad to it's own midi channel. This is useful when controlling another drum machine for example that has it's kick on channel 1, snare on channel 2, etc. so that when you edit go to edit the sequence, you can play each part of the kit as different pitches (ie kick is channel 1, note goes from C1-C4...and thus you can have different pitched kicks playing back from that drum machine, or if it has fx per channel like filters, you can modulate the filter per channel).

As far as pitch shifting/time stretching samples, I tend to like to do that like an old school sampler. From the demos it seems like the SPD is a bit better for this, but was curious about the Strike's capability. Say I loaded in a jazz guitar chord I played, and wanted to pitch it up and down with different pads like you would on an mpc.
copy that on the midi channels .. one at a time .. and i checked, no Omni mode

you can dial in 128 midi note Output choices kick is Eb-051 for example ..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

NOTE: update from my end ... the Alesis is just not working as a small kit with Alesis RealHat Pedal ... nor with the Roland FD-9 ... neither one works better than the other ... i am probably going to forget about Sampling and go the Octopad route !!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ended up getting an SPD SX locally. Might still pair it with a Nord Drum 3P as I really like the internal drum synth engine it features. Anyways, here's my review thus far.

Positives:
- Off the bat, I've been having an absolute blast with it! As a guitarist who can play a little drums, it's always been a creative bummer recording drums in a DAW using plugins and a keyboard/finger pads. Having the ability to hit the SPD SX with sticks using samples I dig has been soooooo much fun and absolutely amazing for creating new ideas.

- I wiped all the stock kits and samples from it, went through my sample library, loaded about 100+ drum sounds (mostly boom bap kicks/snares, analog drum machines, and some percussion sounds and sfx). To me this was key to the sound design process, limiting options and focusing on the sample choice first and foremost.

- Blending samples on it is fantastic. Not as comprehensive as a full-on sampler, but for performing it's a great feature.

- Master FX: Using the master FX, S. Loop and filter have been a lot of fun for mangling and modulating the sound, and creating different timbres. I didn't expect to use this feature but it's really a lot of fun.

- FX1 + FX2: While the limitations of routing, etc are a bit disappointing, it's easy enough to send your pads to one of the 2 fx slots for some further tone shaping. I tend to use the distortion, flanger, pitch shifter (more like delayed resonant pitch effect).

- MIDI Implementation: Super easy to change midi channels and notes for each pad to trigger whatever you want. While the CCs for other parameters are a bit limied, I did hook up a Source Audio Reflex midi expression pedal to sweep "ctrl-1" on the master fx, that's been super fun for glitching out the S. Loop, FX and fliter sweeps.

- Sample processing: Simple enough to normalize samples, adjust start/end points, adjust pitch (though you need to guess the semitone as opposed to hearing it), etc. and either create a new sample or overwrite it.

Stick Response: Has great bounce, can really whack it without worry, very responsive overall, though with internal samples don't expect much dynamic variation compared to a velocity layered sample engine (but I'm bashing it like an MPC anyways as opposed to going for a natural acoustic sound).

Negatives:
- Sample management: I really wish their were folders and easier navigation. Otherwise you need to just know where stuff is generally located in order.

- Sound Design: I really wish they had focused a bit more on the sound design as opposed to making it more geared for simple sample playback. It would be fantastic if each pad had it's own Amp ADSR, filter with EG, and an fx slot with a better overdrive, and bit reduction/sample reduction algorithm to give it a bit more old school knock.

- Sound Quality: Doesn't seem like the AD/DA is bad but it's not great. Better headroom and dynamics with higher bit depth would be very welcome. It does seem to put out instrument level signal, but is easy to clip preamps from the attack (and the built in compressor is pretty bad imho). I've tended to need a bit of distortion on a lot of the samples to help fatten them up and get some more volume, and it also acts as a compressor by limiting the peaks.

- Routing: I know this is mostly geared towards live performance, but having more iso-outputs in which the fx can be applied still would be great for both recording and live peformance where you want to process your kicks, snares, hats, percussion separately but still want to use their fx.

- Wave Manager App: Very outdated, and the fact that you can't play the pads while designing a kit from the app makes it uesless to me, and thus I'm only using the app to load samples while building the kit directly on the unit.

Overall:
- Super happy with my purchase, I really needed something like this years ago to be able to conceive of new ideas especially since my brain is very rhythm oriented. While I feel the sound of the unit and it's sound design capabilities are limited, it's a great device for what it does, and can be even more powerful paired up with a dedicated sampler or drum machine that you can trigger via the SPD SX pads.

Questions:
- Is there a way to determine on the hardware or wave manager app which samples are currently being used within a preset kit, and which aren't? Ideally I'd like to start removing samples I'm not using to keep things tidy and easier to navigate.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search