The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tom Mics
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Tom Mics

I'm burnt out on 421's. Kinda want to switch to e906's but I thought I would ask GS for thoughts on alternatives.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
whats the tom sound you are after? What is it you don't like about the 421? Hopefully your answers will help to guide you more specifically. The 906 lacked low end when I used it for floor tom (IME)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

the e904 does fine, the 906 not so much.
i've been using m201, sm57, atm250, d2/d4, 421, 441 re20 etc. in fact, almost any dynamic mic is okay: toms are really simple instruments... - absolutely no need for condensers imo.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuviB View Post
whats the tom sound you are after? What is it you don't like about the 421? Hopefully your answers will help to guide you more specifically. The 906 lacked low end when I used it for floor tom (IME)
I like a fat sound without a lot of high end schmootz.
Don’t like the bleed sound on the 421. It’s harsh. I’m using re20 on floor tom.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Obviously the MD421 isn't almost omnipresent on toms for nothing, you could try going a totally new direction, I like the sound of pencil condensers on toms, they seem to have much more variance of sound (tuneability) from mic placement and angle point of view, the 421 sounds like the tom but that doesn't mean that's what you actually want!

Lewitt do great value but high quality pencil condensers, either the LCT 040 MATCH at about £165 a (matched) pair, or a pair or LCT 140 Airs about £260 a pair (giving you neutral or added high options in the same mic)

People will probably think my suggestion is crazy - but you're trying to get away from the "boring" usual! These mics are much more directional than a 421, so the extra sensitivity doesn't result in more bleed - just a totally different tone.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm burnt out on 421's. Kinda want to switch to e906's
Most of the time, I use the tom mics just to add a little something to what the overheads are picking up. In that role,

As far as dynamics that are "aimed" at toms, I recently got the Heil PR-28 and I like it a lot. Plenty of "oomph" which is what I am looking for. The Audix D2 is nice tom mic. But I would not gripe about a 421.

If the toms are to be featured in the song, I have used AKG 414's and really liked them. Condensers are going to get more cymbal spill, of course. OTOH, I recently read about a plug-in that takes cymbal leakage out of your tom tracks. I forget the name but the demo video was pretty impressive. It's not expensive either.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
OTOH, I recently read about a plug-in that takes cymbal leakage out of your tom tracks. I forget the name but the demo video was pretty impressive. It's not expensive either.
Fvck me, the robots have arrived.
Forget it, I'm out!! haha.

Anyway.. yeah. I like 414 on toms with a good drummer, but the drummer is most often me... so. I need something with a little tighter pickup pattern (less spill) and a nice contoured sound. That's why I was thinking e906 which has a sound I like a lot.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
I'm burnt out on 421's. Kinda want to switch to e906's but I thought I would ask GS for thoughts on alternatives.
this has been my Tom mic of choice as of late..
https://www.seelectronics.com/se-x1-d-mic

and I'm using these under
http://www.miktekaudio.com/pm10-snaretom/
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I agree on the nasty bleed in 421s.

Try AKG d112 on your toms!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Any version of the Sony C37 or C38.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear
That’s ridiculous.
A delicate vintage mic on Toms?

What do you use for overheads? The mics Lincoln used to give the Gettysburg address?
Old 9 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
That’s ridiculous.
A delicate vintage mic on Toms?

What do you use for overheads? The mics Lincoln used to give the Gettysburg address?
For overheads - a pair of Sennheiser mkh 406's or mkh 40's. And yes, I use good vintage mics on drums regularly. They're tools not framed pieces of art.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search