The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Double Tom Stands
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Double Tom Stands

Anyone using a double tom stand for a 2-up setup instead of the bass drum mounts?

Seems like the off-set positioning would be kind of crowded with the hats.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I did for years. It is really about ride cymbal positioning, for me. I don't want to lift my arm, I want the traditional "jazz" ride position.

I had a 10" and 12" on a stand, and never had issues with hihat placement. I haven't been using my 10" in a while, but have been thinking about it, and pulling out the double tom stand. Using just the 12" it hangs off a cymbal stand.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I did for years. It is really about ride cymbal positioning, for me. I don't want to lift my arm, I want the traditional "jazz" ride position.

I had a 10" and 12" on a stand, and never had issues with hihat placement. I haven't been using my 10" in a while, but have been thinking about it, and pulling out the double tom stand. Using just the 12" it hangs off a cymbal stand.
I setup my "new" '69 Premiers tonight: 12x8, 14x8, 16x14, 20x14. Love them. Wow. Really forgot how much I love a smaller kit to play and that warm tone vs. the birch Yamahas I've been playing for years.

Could play with smaller sticks again, and not be drowned out by the canon bass drum.

I used a snare stand (with a clamp, so I could get it closer to the bass drum) for the 12 and then had a Pearl OptiMount for the 14, with the elbow into a cymbal stand. For crash/ride I used a combo stand; hat-side crash is on a stand.

It's a bit crowded stand-wise -- think I'm going to pickup two Gibraltar stealth stands for either side and get another Pearl OptiMount for the 12 so it'll be symmetrical in appearance and lose 3 sets of bases in the process.

I switched to a 20" 50s Zildjian ride and with that kit, it sounds great (and doesn't crowd out the floor tom).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Sounds like fun!!!
Old 1 week ago
Yea, I hate carrying stands and I hate sympathetic tom ring.

I use the Yamaha tri-mount. Had to modify the R.I.M.S. (or whatever they call it now) to take Yamaha stuff. I'm attaching a few pics, the only comprise is a narrow target on the 10" as I like to keep the hat as low as possible. I use the tilt on the side of the tom so it comes over the rim a bit.

(normally don't run that many cymbals, was for recording - obviously )
Attached Thumbnails
Double Tom Stands-drumscnalbum3-1.jpg   Double Tom Stands-drumscnalbum3-3.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Yea, I hate carrying stands and I hate sympathetic tom ring.

I use the Yamaha tri-mount. Had to modify the R.I.M.S. (or whatever they call it now) to take Yamaha stuff. I'm attaching a few pics, the only comprise is a narrow target on the 10" as I like to keep the hat as low as possible. I use the tilt on the side of the tom so it comes over the rim a bit.

(normally don't run that many cymbals, was for recording - obviously )
Nice, yeah, I need to float that 12" because it doesn't sustain as long as the 14 or the 16 does.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i had a 6" and 8" tom on the left, a 10" tom and a (flat)ride cymbal on the right of the kick, a 12" and a 14" tom on the far right side, all on double stands (sonor phonic) - switched to a rack though years ago.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search