The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small E Kit for Practice / Playing
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Guru

Small E Kit for Practice / Playing

Small E Kit for Practice / Playing ...

thx in advance .. i am looking for something like a Alesis SamplePad Pro or Samplepad 4 .. but i would like to have a Kick Pedal (and Hat if thr samplepad pro) ..

1- KT-10 looks great but 259.00 - not cheap but seems like only Variable Pedal for Kick
2- Realhat pedal .. discontinued but seems like the only Variable Pedal for Hat

i am not a great drummer but cannot play real set here (used to but things changed) ... hence the small kit / Pad thing, that i can just take with me (leave pedals at home if i like) ..

i would like to not just trigger One Velocity if possible ..

thank you john
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Guru

Bump
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear
The Roland TD-1K would be perfect.

You can upgrade the snare to a mesh pad.

For more money Roland do an all mesh pad TD1.
But the TD-1K is really great especially with the upgraded mesh snare.

Whatever you get make sure it's a Roland kit.
Roland's triggering is truly class leading when looking at the budget kits.

A student of mine has an Alesis Kit and the triggering is terrible imho.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
The Roland TD1K would be perfect.
thx for the reply ... i have a couple friends that have the V Drums .. the TD-1 seems cool, and that you can ADD things to it is cool as well BUT .. please read below !!!

from a Review of TD-1 (The TD-1 module does not provide the best sounds. But since I am a big fan of using sample software like EZdrummer2, it is most important to me to connect the module to a computer)

this feature is NOT what i am looking for !!! i would rather Play the Unit without being connected to a Computer ... i would also like to be able to SAMPLE directly to the unit .. like the Roland SPD ...

and also be able to be very portable .. take just the unit without any pedals .. or use pedals when at home .. i am living in a very tight space right now !!
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Guru

the other item that is interesting ... the Yamaha DTX12 ... i saw a youtube video of a guy playing Congas with it and the Hand Choking was cool ... not sure Roland or Alesis can do that !!1
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
thx for the reply ... i have a couple friends that have the V Drums .. the TD-1 seems cool, and that you can ADD things to it is cool as well BUT .. please read below !!!

from a Review of TD-1 (The TD-1 module does not provide the best sounds. But since I am a big fan of using sample software like EZdrummer2, it is most important to me to connect the module to a computer)

this feature is NOT what i am looking for !!! i would rather Play the Unit without being connected to a Computer ... i would also like to be able to SAMPLE directly to the unit .. like the Roland SPD ...

and also be able to be very portable .. take just the unit without any pedals .. or use pedals when at home .. i am living in a very tight space right now !!
Oops, now I read your post again I see what you mean.

Either way, whatever devise you decide on I'd go Roland as a brand as when it comes to hitting things and getting a musical response from the pads Roland have it sorted imho.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oops, now I read your post again I see what you mean.

Either way, whatever devise you decide on I'd go Roland as a brand as when it comes to hitting things and getting a musical response from the pads Roland have it sorted imho.
Copy That !!! curious if you have any experience with the Yammy DTX12 ??? i will try and link that youtube video here for the Hand PLaying !!
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Copy That !!! curious if you have any experience with the Yammy DTX12 ??? i will try and link that youtube video here for the Hand PLaying !!
Sorry I haven't.

I use Yamaha electric pianos and they are very good, and I'm pretty sure their drum gear is more than decent.

I'm just a big fan of Roland E drums and E percussion.

The Roland Handsonic pad is fantastic too, though I don't think you can sample into it?
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry I haven't.

I use Yamaha electric pianos and they are very good, and I'm pretty sure their drum gear is more than decent.

The Roland Handsonic pad is fantastic too, though I don't think you can sample into it?
a friend has the Handsonic ... but it when it first came out ... no smapling, you are correct ...

i am moving away from the Alesis Stuff ... Crosstalk between pads and some other issues where click does not start all the time when you hit a loop on a separate pad ... pad linking not working so good maybe ..

too bad the Roland is so old .. 7 years and no updates .. my luck would be i buy one and next week SPD-SX - ULTRA comes out .. haha ...

yamaha is the only one so far that you can plug in an ipad and tweak !!! pretty cool .. and having the Hand Choke again is cool ...
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Guru

A little Help ... I need to make this decision for a tax writeoff in the next 24 hours ... i am leaning towards the Alesis Strike Multipad ...

the Crosstalk does not appear to be an issue ...

anyone have First Hand Experience ... any DownSides ??????? rubber meets the road time !!!

UPDATE: well, watching another video i hear this unit only uses One Shot Samples .. so no true multi-samples ... just playing the same One Shot at different volumes ...

Q: do the Roland or yamaha act differently ?????

getting overwhelmed now .... massive amounts of info but no clear decision ...

the ONe Shot Sample thing of Alesis is not great ... no info on Roland or Yamaha on One Shots except for it says One Shot and Multi-Velocity Samples on one Roland review ... nothg about that on Yamaha but they talk about Dynamics ..

so, rough choice ... the Alesis might be able to be updated via Frimware to have some new features, where i see the Yammy and Roland as Stagnant but Good Units ... damn tough choice

How Much Faith can I have that Alesis will continue to make this product better via Software ????

thx in advance

john

Last edited by jwh1192; 28th October 2019 at 01:10 AM..
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Guru

well, i went for the Alesis Strike Multipad ... talked through lots of things with sales rep ... yammy and roland are old in the tooth and need updates ... Alesis seems to be listening and creating updates !! so, the unit KT-10 and FD-9 pedals !!! should be here by the weekend !! will report back any issues !!!

thx for the help Slutz !!!

cheers john
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

UPDATE: received my Alesis Strike Multipad / KT-10 Kick pedal / FD-9 HiHat pedal ... after many hours of tooling around i now have a playable Drum Kit with Kick and Hat .. the FD-9 was rough going getting it setup ... i am going to document what i di for others ... i hit on it by accident .. i still do not have the step on the Pedal "Chick" yet ... but closed and open are working ...

and getting the pad sensitivity swetup was slow going ... this thing should come setup already for out of the box playing .. it is not imho

more later ..

cheers john
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

the KT-10 worksand feels great imho ..

the FD-9 - i got it working but am going to buy the discontinued Alesis Realhat pedal as the Roland works but rough setup .. i talked to Alesis this morning .. the Roland is a different kind of pedal than theirs .. seems no way to get the CHICK sound with it ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Alesis RealHat pedal on the way ... i talked to Alesis, the Roland is again, like the Yamaha, a different type pedal ..

hoping for the best, should have this pedal in a few days ... will report back ..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry I haven't.

Hi, i thought you might like an UPdate ..

NOTE: update from my end ... the Alesis is just not working as a small kit with Alesis RealHat Pedal ... nor with the Roland FD-9 ... neither one works better than the other ...

i am probably going to forget about Sampling and go the Octopad route !!!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

UPDATE: i went with the Roland Octapad .. no Sampling but thats ok .. the hat pedal is like a HAt now .. if you are looking at Alesis, be aware hat pedal just not working like Roland .. i would have gone with the SPD-SX (had a good price) but no Hat pedal port .. too bad .. would have loved to carry it around and sample direct ...

cheers john
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search