The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPD-SX SE - Backing Track randomly skips
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

SPD-SX SE - Backing Track randomly skips

Hey guys and gals,

I've been having an issue with my SPD-SX SE for some time now and it has to do with the longer backing tracks we use in our three piece cover band.

I'll grab a stem pack online, open it up in Ableton Live, take out all the stuff we're going to play ourselves, example - bass, drums, guitars, vocals, and leave all the production stuff like the funky little synth stuff that we just can't do live as a three piece. Then I export that as a single 16 bit WAV file, and load in onto a pad on my SPD-SX. This helps us round out our sound a little bit more and have some of those identifiable sounds/instruments from covers, more so than just a traditional three piece band.

But the issue I've been having is that sometimes (not all the time, it's pretty random) my longer backing tracks will glitch. It like skips, and then just jumps to a random section of that file and continues to play the backing track, however now it's out of time with the onboard click and we're all screwed up. It's happened twice live and I just can't handle it anymore.

I've read online about checking pad sensitivity and I've adjusted that, but that really doesn't check out anyway because the track isn't stopping and starting again, which is what would happen if it were pad sensitivity. But it's just skipping to a random section of the WAV and keeps playing.

Let me be super thorough and go through exactly what I have connected to each port of my SPD-SX SE. Hoping something might jump out at someone who's had a similar issue:

Phones - IEM for monitor mix and onboard click from the SPD-SX
Master Out L - this goes to a channel on our Behringer XAIR18 mixer
Master Out R - nothing
Sub Out L - nothing
Sub Out R - nothing
Trig In 1/2 - Roland RT30HR Dual zone trigger
Trig In 3/4 - Roland stereo splitter to dual mono - 3 goes to my Roland RT30K kick trigger and 4 goes to a Roland VDrum pad as a simple single zone trigger
Foot Switch - nothing
Audion In L/MONO - Monitor mix brought in from the Behringer XAIR18 mixer
Only other thing connected of course is the power cable.

Additionally, to help narrow the view a little bit, I have already done some pretty extreme troubleshooting.

-Sweetwater replaced the SPD-SX SE for me. The new one is only a month old and this issue has already reared its ugly head a few times.

-I've replaced both Roland triggers thinking a faulty trigger was possibly sending a crazy amount of signal and occupying enough of the SPD-SX's resources to cause a skip in the audio file that was playing.

-I've updated the SPD-SX firmware to the latest version

-I've replaced all the TRS cables that the triggers use.

-I've set the pad sensitivity down super low to where it's impossible for this issue to be related to vibration from an over-sensitive pad/trigger

At this point, I'm more leaning in the direction of the audio file itself - for no other reason than I feel like I've exhausted all other options. I know the WAVs I'm exporting are 16 bit WAV files, otherwise the SPD-SX wouldn't even accept them in the first place, but there are a few other options that you can adjust with a WAV file in Ableton that I'm pretty unfamiliar with...things like Dither and encoding. (See attached image)

Anyway, I'm completely out of ideas and quite frustrated at this point because it seems like I'm the only one on the entire internet who's reported anything like this with their SPD-SX playing backing tracks. Hope someone can help, thanks.

-David
Attached Thumbnails
SPD-SX SE - Backing Track randomly skips-ableton_wav_options.jpg  

Last edited by stanleyd25; 3rd October 2019 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Is it always jumping to the same place in the track? You could try export at 24 bit and then convert it to a 16 bit WAV with something else in case it is the Ableton encoding that is screwing with the SPDS somehow.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I hadn't thought of that. But sounds like a good option. I'm gonna give that a try. Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search