The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emad bass drum head for recording?
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Nut

Evans Emad bass drum head for recording?

Hi everyone

Thinking of replacing my batterhead of my kick. Doesnt sound good now (dont know the age but its a Remo wheaterking pinstripe bass 22i). Had another kick in the other day sounded great. I found out it had a foam ring round both the batter and reso head on the inside. Nice low end.
Thats what made me think bout the evans emad.

Ill probably be only using my kit for recording in my home studiom style is singer-songwriter pop and some classic rock maybe touch of jazz.

Would emad be good for recording? Or would it be wiser to get a more normal head and provide dampening myself with moongels or towels? Would the emad be flexible enough? I like vintage sounds would emad be to modern/heavy metal-like?
If not what would be a good alternative for recording those styles?

Last edited by Guitarking; 25th September 2019 at 06:30 AM..
Old 25th September 2019
Gear Nut

Anyone?
I would love to hear your advise.
Im about to record drums in a couple of days and really want to change the batterhead.
Thanks in advance!
Old 25th September 2019
My current favourite is Powerstroke III.
I definitely wouldn't choose EMAD for jazz.
You could just about get away with Evans EQ3 for various different genres.
You're kind of after two things, a modern head for rock and something vintage for jazz and singer-songwriter. For the latter I would go with something like a Fibreskin. If you start with a lively head you can always deaden it down with a pillow or blankets (not moongel!!!).
Old 26th September 2019
Gear Nut

Thank you Chris. I think I know what you are saying: jazz and rock are too far apart.
Say Id go for rock/pop would emad be a right choice then?
Old 26th September 2019
Lives for gear

the thing with thicker batter heads is that they dampen some of the overtones and thus, you hear the fundamental more clearly. this can help to eliminate the use of towels which i do not recommend 'cause they make a head work as if it'd be smaller in diameter and hence raise the pitch: possibly not the reason you're using 24" or 26" kicks?!
if you need to dampen, use a blanket with touches both heads and wrap it around to various degrees. speaking of heads: a thin resonant head can lead to unwanted overtones ringing along so i recommend using at least a medium head or those sets whichsome manufacturers are offering.
for 'modern' rock, there's mostly a hole in the resonant gead: avoid to put it in the middle or make it too big or else you'll loose some low end and/or sustain.

i'm not talking jazz bass drums here as i can't stand this ridiculous bongo tuning many drummers are using these days, thinking this would always have been the case...
Old 26th September 2019
Gear Addict

We switched from EMAD clear to GMAD clear heads here. The EMAD uses 10-mil film, the GMAD uses 12-mil film. The GMAD seems punchier, and the durability is better (good for hard hitters). That being said, we are recording mostly rock stuff...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 28th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarking View Post
Say Id go for rock/pop would emad be a right choice then?
I currently prefer the PSIII.
Old 28th September 2019
Gear Nut

Great everyone! Very educating! Lots to learn for me ;-)

If I would resume a bit, I get the following out of this:

Jazz needs a different setup than rock. Obviously.

So, I will let go of jazz... I also don't want a kick head for genre's like metal. I want something in between the aggressive metal-music kick-click and the long sustaining with lots of tone jazz thing. Say singer songwriter/rock. Nice vintage attack, bit of tone, nice lowend, balanced sustain. For recording only. Something versitale.

EQ4 seems good: a bit of muffling but open sound
PS3 is something I see a lot.
EMAD may be too factory determined damping wise? Maybe not versatile enough?

Are PS3 and EQ4 interchangeble?

So what would be a head for my Tama Rockstar Kick with a nice warm kick sound (not jazz, but not metal click either, in between, nice low end but some attack of course. I will be recording with it, not gigging...)
After hearing you guys and doing some research I'm thinking EQ4, PSIII now. BIt of both words: not too jazz not too metal a bit of muffling to control overtone but still I can add my own muffling with blackets etc...

I have the idea that an outer ring for muffling works well for me: because what I understand it kills the overtones and leaves the fundamental alone (even enhances it).
Also, read that premuffling is good (which would favour EMAD) as putting stuff inside your kick to muffle doesn't take the best out of your kick?

But the way I have a Wheaterking Pinestripe Bass on my Rockstar kick (it was on it already), it sound terrible even after several tuning attempts. Boxy and lifeless.
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Nut

Ok Powerstroke 3 it is!! The question now is clear or coated...???
Can one get the sound of a coated by dampening a clear head?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search