The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
In praise of the Tune bot
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

In praise of the Tune bot

I recently picked up the Tune Bot and was skeptical that it would work well. I was dead wrong — it works great and quickly, which is so important.
I was doing a quick session yesterday and time was very limited. The studio’s kit was decent sounding except for the rack tom, which was way out. The song required a lot of tom work, so it was important to get it sounding good. I used the tune bot and made some pretty significant adjustments, all in about 2 minutes and the drum sounded great.

I’ve used a drum dial on many occasions, but it just never seemed to work for me and took forever to get it right. And as much as I like to think I tune well by ear, I simply have never gotten it perfect after decades of trying.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Yeah, my drum sounds are really consistent since picking up a Tune-Bot a few years back. Love it.

I'd buy another if I accidentally whacked mine to pieces with a stick.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've just started using the DrumTunePro app for iPhone [with my new Yamaha Drums].

I also have the DrumDial [for awhile].

The iPhone app has some nice features [heads, brands, saved configurations].

Still experimenting with the new Yamy kit [20" kick, Snare, 10-12-13-14 Toms].
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I've just started using the DrumTunePro app for iPhone [with my new Yamaha Drums].

I also have the DrumDial [for awhile].

The iPhone app has some nice features [heads, brands, saved configurations].

Still experimenting with the new Yamy kit [20" kick, Snare, 10-12-13-14 Toms].
Ah an app? I was waiting for that and makes sense (better mic, storage, etc.).

I write my settings with a Sharpie on my heads with little notes for songs (funky/jazzy stuff I'll tune my heads up a fair bit), but storing the settings would be great.

UPDATE: checked out the reviews, some guy was basically asking for the filtering option that's on the TuneBot, because of the overtones throwing off the fundamentals. Does the app not have a filtering option?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Maybe because I've played drums for 44 years - but I find drums are the easiest instrument to learn to
"tune" as people call it.

A drum is a drum is a drum.

Every drum has a natural resonance point and then you either go up or down from that.

And as for the bottom head - it's a simple case of,

1. same pitch as top = max resonance (jazz kit)

2. higher than top - then you get an upward gliss for the studio "" ala Gadd and the like - my favourite choice.

3. Lower than the top and you get a downward "dooof" for that rock drop fill sound

I see so many gadgets for drum "tuning" but really once you get the hang it's a very quick thing to do with a drum
key and a drum stick.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Maybe because I've played drums for 44 years - but I find drums are the easiest instrument to learn to
"tune" as people call it.

A drum is a drum is a drum.

Every drum has a natural resonance point and then you either go up or down from that.

And as for the bottom head - it's a simple case of,

1. same pitch as top = max resonance (jazz kit)

2. higher than top - then you get an upward gliss for the studio "" ala Gadd and the like - my favourite choice.

3. Lower than the top and you get a downward "dooof" for that rock drop fill sound

I see so many gadgets for drum "tuning" but really once you get the hang it's a very quick thing to do with a drum
key and a drum stick.
I've been playing for 25 years and knew how to tune before getting the TuneBot, but this, no doubt is easier and opened up some tuning choices (some subtle, not so subtle) that work for me.

Plus in a noisy room I can tune with the TuneBot still; couldn't do that by ear when the rest of the band is tuning on stage.
Old 7 minutes ago
Lives for gear

I have a few apps for this purpose and must say I much prefer the iDrumtune instead of the Drumtune Pro in this stage, even if they are both usable. Mainly because of the simpler GUI and added functionality where you can measure the resonant tuning frequency:

https://www.idrumtune.com/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search